IGNORED

your favorite Atari 2600 Program cartridge?

retrocollector1995

I would like to hear what is your favorite Atari 2600 game of all time? if you have more than one favorite, please, list more than one. My favorite is Activision's Freeway cartridge. It has that distinct Frogger feeling, but at a 5-lane highway with chickens. the control and game styles are fluent, love the difficulty, and I absolutely love Activision's creativity. Post a comment on what you think your favorite or favorites are, and you don't have to, but explain why you like them. thank you very much.

Cody Kolbinskie- Retro gamer since 1997, collector since 1999

post-34946-0-14810000-1363183055_thumb.jpg

My favorte is Phoenix. In fact I took my Atari out of mothballs in order to play it. I found almost all of my favorite games in one form or another on the web, but could never find a good version of Phoenix. That's when you start getting nostalgia and remember the fun you had playing it on the Atari Console. So I dug it out of mothballs, put in Phoenix and it played like the day I bought it, as did all the other of my favorite games...space invaders, missile command, adventure, berzerk, defender, moon patrol, circus, breakout...you name it, if I had it, I played it. THe unit was failing though in some reguards, so I purchased a nearly prestine Darth Vader and have been playing River Raid for weeks now...my new baine.

• Like 1

I listed my top 10 in the top 100 of all-time thread about a week or so ago, but I thought I'd list them here again with some comments:

Millipede: My favorite. It's amazing how closely they replicated the gameplay of the arcade game on the 2600.

Demon Attack: I fell in love with this one the first time I played it at a friend's house when I was 7. The look, sound, and gameplay hooked me from the start.

Dragonfire: The game is incredibly simple yet incredibly addictive. Running from that dragon never gets old.

Jr. Pac-Man: I would imagine that if asked what your favorite Pac-Man game on the 2600 is, most people would say Ms. Pac-Man, but I give a slight edge to Jr. Yes, the game is really hard, but that's why I like it so much.

Frogger: A great thing about growing up with the 2600 as a kid is that it allowed your imagination to run wild, since games couldn't be realistic and were oftentimes even a bit abstract. In Frogger the first screen with sparse traffic was the small town I lived in, and my goal was to get to the screen with the most congested traffic, which was St. Louis (the closest city to where I lived).

H.E.R.O.: Anyone else find it funny when a prisoner is being guarded by a weak-@ss spider? I always think, why don't you just get up and walk away? Anyways, H.E.R.O. is interesting in that as a kid, I found it pretty hard and didn't like it much. But now as an adult, I love it.

Turmoil: I loves me some fast-paced shooting action, and to me Turmoil is one of the great overlooked gems of the 2600 library.

Winter Games: As a kid I loved playing this one as a single-player game pitting all 8 countries against each other. Actually, I still do that but usually keep it to 4 countries to keep the games shorter.

Midnight Magic: I always think that I'm "over" loving this game, but every time I put it in, I become hooked for hours.

Enduro: With the constantly changing scenery, this is another one that allowed me to use my imagination as a kid. I liked to come up with real-life equivilants to each stage (ex. the foggy stage was London).

Honorable Mentions: Mr. Do, Moon Patrol, Ms. Pac-Man, Jungle Hunt, Centipede

If I were to include homebrews, Ladybug, Juno First, and possibly Strat-O-Gems Deluxe would be considered among my favorite 2600 games.

Cool selections RT, I think it's a tough call between Enduro and Defeder II/Stargate.

You're article on Pitfall really cracked me up; I can see you're not a big fan of the game having returned the sequel ;)

I assume you got it for the 2600 or was it another system? I still have Pitfall II on disk for the CoCo II; in order to hear the cool sound track you needed to buy a special cart with a sound chip, and because it was on disk and the disk controller was using the cartridge port, you also needed to get a multipack interface - I never bought all of that extra hardware and just played it without the sound but it was like playing without the sound ;)

Would you have returned the disk or bought the extra computer peripherals? It was a fun game but in retro retrospect it seems like the 2600 verison was a much better deal; that's a lot of expanding just to hear sound.

Yep. I bought Pitfall II: Lost Caverns when it was new for the Atari 2600, then returned it and got my money back.

I liked Pitfall II as a kid, but was also frustrated with it for the same reasons you were. The only game I ever returned to the store was Swordquest Earthworld. I was expecting an Adventure sequel when I brought it home. I was extremely disappointed. I remember returning it and getting Keystone Kapers instead, which I loved.