Christoph

home_panel_4.jpg

black-label_coco-cmvs-2.jpg

black-label_coco-cmvs-3.jpg

black-label_coco-stick-1.jpg

black-label_coco-stick-2.jpg

black-label_coco-stick-4.jpg

What is Black Label?

Black Label is a custom service that offers you the choice of any wood in the entire world for the ultimate Neo Geo setup. Black Label units are identical in design and function to the Analogue CMVS Slim and Analogue Arcade Stick

Solid Brass Tags

We designed and crafted exclusive solid brass product tags that sit beneath each and every Black Label unit.

black-label-sub.jpg

What Kind of Wood?

We've compiled a price list of our favorite woods which can be downloaded here.

...or you can view hundreds of other possible woods at the Wood Database.

Once you've selected the perfect wood, fill out the Black Label Form and we will contact you with customization specifics.

A Black Label Set Includes

• Analogue CMVS Slim

• (2) Analogue Arcade Sticks

• Solid Brass, Black Label Product Tags

• S-Video, Composite & Stereo Sound Cable

• Power Supply

PRESS & REVIEWS (click for more)

Black Label Press

Game Informer: Handcrafted SNK Neo Geo Constructed From Rare Woods

Engadget: Black Label Neo Geo custom wood mod ups the ante on collector excess

Polygon: Neo Geo arcade systems built console-sized from exotic wood up for purchase

Kotaku: Now You Can Own An Incredibly Expensive Neo Geo Made Of Exotic Wood

Penny Arcade: Consoles become furniture with these expensive, beautiful, wooden NEO GEO consoles

Retro Collect: Analogue Interactive Introduce Their Elegant Neo Geo Consolized MVS 'Black Label' Range

Nintendo Life: Analogue Interactive Unveils The Super-Exclusive Black Label Neo Geo CMVS

Hardcore Gamer: ANALOGUE INTERACTIVE LAUNCHES $1299+ ‘BLACK LABEL’ CMVS NEO GEO CONSOLES

I had to bite my tongue hard on the last thread, I simply would have bit through after seeing this thread, so my apologies for thread crapping.

A good amount of work does go in to your original systems and controllers. They are pretty nice systems, and while I think the price for the original systems is outrageous, other people disagree and you've sold quite a few of them.

But honestly, how can you justify charging an extra $250 on top of your already expensive price for using a different slab of wood and a "Solid Brass Black Label Product Tag"? Like, slapping a "limited edition" tag on something and spending, I don't know, $20-$50 extra on wood, and charging $1299 should be a crime. Oh, and it gets better? You want Cocobolo wood? $1884!!! For a CMVS Neo Geo...I don't even know how this can exist in a rational world...

Edit: I like that you are offering different woods, and I think it's a nice service for your customers. I just think charging a fee that will more than cover the extra cost of wood would have been a better move than charging $250 for something that offers no real tangible benefit.

Edited by PsychedelicShaman
  • Like 2

@PsychedelicShaman

The extra surcharge for exotic woods literally covers the cost of the wood, its not an extra fee, but literally what we pay for it. In regards to Black Label having a higher price tag there are two main reasons:

1. Building units individually takes significantly more time and effort. We don't build our regular units one at a time, they are only built in huge lots. That is the only way we can even get it to the price its at. By building the largest lots at a time, it reduces the labor and every aspect massively.

2. Every wood is different. This means every time we build a unit out of a wood we have not worked with before, we have to do research and experimentation with it. Every wood has a different hardness, softness, flexing, pore/absorption etc. Just the few black label units we have built already we have had to buy new tools, different lacquers and even change the build process to accommodate how unique each wood is. For example, Cocobolo is extremely waxy and doesn't glue well. So we had to reinforce the entire unit internally and get a little crafty to make this work.

The bottom line is that Black Label is a custom service. Think of going to a custom woodworker and getting to pick everything you want for your dream table or desk. Usually its just one guy who deals with you and builds it exactly how you want it. What I'm trying to say is that It takes an enormous amount of time and effort. Give a local woodworker a call and ask them what it would cost you to get a 100% solid Cocobolo coffee table. Just a simple table, 4 legs, but 100% Cocobolo. Easily 2k+. It's one of the rarest and most expensive woods in the entire world!

Lastly, we didn't just launch Black Label out of the blue here. I have been taking custom orders like this for the past 6 months now and we've built a bunch. The number one request I get is for a selection of different woods, aka "can you build me a set out of X wood?". I would love to streamline a huge selection at the same price as our regular units, but its unfortunately not possible.

Black Label isn't for everyone, its for those that want the most special, custom unit possible. I wouldn't be willing to offer the service at any less of a price than what its at, it unfortunately wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Remember, every single product we produce is built 100% by hand. Hand picked wood, hand crafted, hand assembled. If you could sit down with me from the beginning of the process to the end, I promise you would be wowed.

Anyways, trust me, I know at first glance you see a pricey, high end product, but I will always stand by the quality and value at the price its at! If it's what you are into, it's worth it, I promise.

If you are ever in Seattle, shoot me a PM and we can sit down and play on the Cocobolo set :D

1) Don't slam this kind of service. It takes time and energy to do custom stuff and they are doing something involving 'retrograming'. Almost anything of any essence involving original-ish hardware should be applauded.

2) The Neo Geo world is a weird one where things cost a ton. If it was a Genesis hand carved unit for $1k, it would be more silly.

3) Sexy.

• 5 weeks later...

We have an extra Analogue Arcade Stick Black Label unit made from Cocobolo! Cocobolo is one of the rarest, most exotic, and expensive woods in the entire world. It makes it a masterpiece of an arcade stick.

In stock now and ready to ship in within 24 hours!

Check it out, it is insanely special!

http://bit.ly/ZgaoRi

• 4 years later...