IGNORED

IP65 test for Dragoncart owners

Hi Folks.

I've been working on converting IP65, a commodore/apple II ethernet implementation over to the Atari. So far its been going very well. IP65 is in assembler, and once I got over the learning curve it's been proceeding rapidly. Attached to this message is a Real Dos ATR that has a test executable for pinging. If you could try running it on your dragoncart and letting me know of any problems I would appreciate it.

Program name : ping.com

Arguments : its called with the ip or dns name to ping and a iteration count. If you don't provide the iteration count it will default to 4. For example :

ping.com www.atariage.com 10

would ping atariage.com 10 times.

It expects your dragoncart to be at $D500, and your local network to be DHCP-enabled. It makes a DHCP call to get an ip, then it resolves the dns name or ip you've provided and starts sending pings. This is strictly just a test, the final version would be more flexible.

IP65 has a pretty solid implementation, and it has support for telnet and various other TCP programs. Plus, it produces normal Atari exe's that will run under any DOS ( ie., you don't need contiki). You can find the original source and documentation at

http://ip65.sourceforge.net/. I have not added the atari development branch back into that source tree yet.

Thanks.

IP65.atr

• Like 1

I've not much experience with assembler, but from what I can tell the IP65 stuff is structured well. It also produces a pretty small binary...I can see that a full driver could easily fit into a 16k bank. Then add a handler and we'd have a nice platform for writing general purpose user code against.

Right, DHCP.COM is from the old stack, written in C. I have yet to add autodetect to the IP65 base. Compare the sizes of DHCP.COM and PING.COM, and you'll see why I switched to IP65. Although to be fair to the C, I was trying a very ambitious unix-style sockets layer and there's just no room for that kind of thing. I could write a stripped down C stack like IP65, but straight assembler would still be way more efficient and is really the only way to go here,

Right, DHCP.COM is from the old stack, written in C. I have yet to add autodetect to the IP65 base. Compare the sizes of DHCP.COM and PING.COM, and you'll see why I switched to IP65. Although to be fair to the C, I was trying a very ambitious unix-style sockets layer and there's just no room for that kind of thing. I could write a stripped down C stack like IP65, but straight assembler would still be way more efficient and is really the only way to go here,

Yep, I noticed the size difference, quite the improvement :) :thumbsup:

A peek at your Atari source files would be nice too ;)

Works great! The only thing I noticed is that it seems to ping many times when you don't specify the amount of pings, but Dan has now fixed that.

Also, I was able to ping every web address I tried as well as local IP addresses on my home network. Most pings come back as 0ms, and randomly there were some that were anywhere from 20ms to 78ms.

Again the program was really fast! Very impressive. With these tests working, A 16K driver is very possible and that would still leave room left for programs.

Edited by puppetmark

• 1 month later...

Hello guys

Maybe this is a stupid question, but...

Why not put the RJ45 connector on one of the corners of the PCB and design the PCB in such a way, that the connector can be soldered in with the opening to the side or the top. That way, you don't need to design two versions of the PCB or reserve two locations for the connector. You'ld just need to drill some extra holes in the PCB. The holes you do not need will be covered by the connector.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1

Yeah, I am going to work on that this weekend...some servers tend to send odd control characters as the first character of a line, not sure why. Plus I need to handle a few chars like tab and a couple other screen control characters too. Plus add a local echo toggle and a couple of other things. Maybe an xmodem handler too, but that will probably take a couple weeks.

Edited by danwinslow

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

A very exciting project!
It would be very nice to see the architecture ip65 running in Atari 8-bit Graphical User Interface program.
I encourage the author of this post to complete the work that is not within everyone's reach.
Is there an emulator that emulates a dragoncart to try ip65?
Thank you.

We asked Phaeron about it for Altirra, and he said it was unlikely, especially any time soon, due to the amount of work required which of course I understand.

That said, still have a few of the carts for people who are willing to develop for it. Current state is that IP65 has been converted and the telnet and ping binaries are working fairly well. I haven't worked on it for a while now, due to life situations, but expect to pick up again in the late fall. I'd like to get an FTP working, as well as taking a stab at a system driver.

Anyway, the stack works well and fits in about 10k or so, and could easily be run from an extended memory bank. Lots of things are possible - games and network mounting of drives, a simple web server, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks.

I've been working on converting IP65, a commodore/apple II ethernet implementation over to the Atari. So far its been going very well. IP65 is in assembler, and once I got over the learning curve it's been proceeding rapidly. Attached to this message is a Real Dos ATR that has a test executable for pinging. If you could try running it on your dragoncart and letting me know of any problems I would appreciate it.

Program name : ping.com

Arguments : its called with the ip or dns name to ping and a iteration count. If you don't provide the iteration count it will default to 4. For example :

ping.com www.atariage.com 10

would ping atariage.com 10 times.

It expects your dragoncart to be at $D500, and your local network to be DHCP-enabled. It makes a DHCP call to get an ip, then it resolves the dns name or ip you've provided and starts sending pings. This is strictly just a test, the final version would be more flexible.

IP65 has a pretty solid implementation, and it has support for telnet and various other TCP programs. Plus, it produces normal Atari exe's that will run under any DOS ( ie., you don't need contiki). You can find the original source and documentation at

http://ip65.sourceforge.net/. I have not added the atari development branch back into that source tree yet.

Thanks.

The ATR doesn't work with my microSIO2SD device :(

It loads RealDOS but hangs after "loading the US Doubler CIOV routineens (sic!)"

Any advice?

I have no other means to load anything on my 800XL

EDIT:

Had a look at the latest ip65 on sourceforge.

Big luck fo rme it is using CC65 suite :)

However, ther eis no Atari specific make targets and so on.

As I do not want to spend hours on trying to build it for the atari and do the same things you have already done.

I want to ask if you can upload an "Atari version" of ip65.

Further, I take it the aIP-stuff is history now?

Edited by Creature XL

No advice about Realdos. I can try to put up an ATR of some other dos maybe. Or maybe an xex.

The latest IP65 for atari I think is in the other thread here on Atariage :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211161-dragoncart-software/?hl=%20ip65&do=findComment&comment=2734492

This doesn't have atari make targets either, but rather an atari directory with a 'build' shell script in it.

The source you looked at on sourceforge is the original IP65 apple/commodore stuff. I am not planning on uploading the IP65 atari changes anytime soon to sourceforge.

Yes, the AIP stuff is history.

• 3 weeks later...