IGNORED

A price cut for the Wii U?

Mendon

For those that are early adapters, they should be taking advantage of part of your advice anyways and take a look at their backlog. The Wii U handles upscaling Wii content very nicely so it's a perfect chance to enjoy your Wii library in widescreen on your HDTV, something many Wii owners found as less than ideal over the past six years with the original hardware.

The only stumble is that it stretches 4:3 content as well as anamorphic widescreen content (No option to pillarbox a game). But the vast majority of quality disc releases were 16:9 compatible so that isn't a major issue outside of Virtual Console downloads.

Edited by Atariboy

The only stumble is that it stretches 4:3 content as well as anamorphic widescreen content (No option to pillarbox a game). But the vast majority of quality disc releases were 16:9 compatible so that isn't a major issue outside of Virtual Console downloads.

Which is why most HDTVs have an option to change the aspect ratio. Typically, you can do sidebar (for 3:4), stretch (for 16:9), and zoom (for widescreen content letterboxed for 4:3 TVs - commonly used on cable boxes).

Which is why most HDTVs have an option to change the aspect ratio. Typically, you can do sidebar (for 3:4), stretch (for 16:9), and zoom (for widescreen content letterboxed for 4:3 TVs - commonly used on cable boxes).

Those changes only affect standard definition signals.

They won't have any affect on the HD signal that the Wii U is sending out. HD television signals are natively 16:9 and television manufacturers have little reason to impliment the ability to adjust that signal like providing the option to apply pillarboxing. They expect the device sending it the signal to have done whatever is needed in regards to aspect ratio like letterboxing or pillarboxing (Unlike SD signals where the user will want the ability to maintain aspect ratio so the signal is pillarboxed, select stretch mode on their tv if it's anamorphic widescreen, or leave on stretch mode for everything if they have a fetish that calls for using every last inch of screen real estate with no regard to OAR).

For 4:3 Wii content that lacks an anamorphic widescreen mode that automatically applies pillarboxing when the Wii is set to 16:9, you need the ability for the console to apply pillarboxing before it outputs the video signal since the HDTV won't be able to fix it (And even if it could, the console stretching it and then the tv pillarboxing it and essentially "destretching" it wouldn't do PQ any favors). Otherwise 4:3 Wii content beyond those few that have anamorphic widescreen modes to switch to (Mega Man 9/10, Super Mario All-Stars, Kirby's Dream Collection, and the Virtual Console demos on Animal Crossing come to mind as examples that will apply pillarboxing themselves when the Wii is set to 16:9) will be stretched to 16:9 proportions right along with the widescreen games that should be stretched (Which is the current situation on the Wii U).

They need to put an icon on the opposite side from the SD access button on the Wii dashboard for choosing between 4:3 and 16:9 conveniently so the Wii U knows if it should be stretching and then upscaling the 4:3 Wii signal if it's an anamorphic widescreen game or if should be pillarboxing the 4:3 signal to preserve the correct aspect ratio and then upscaling if it's a 4:3 game.

Better yet, automatic detection so that when the console reads that Data East Arcade Classics is in the disc drive, the Wii U pillarboxes it. But when Skyward Sword is in it, it knows that this game is widescreen and should be stretched.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

That's incorrect prerelease information. Nintendo stated that Wii games wouldn't look any better on the Wii U and wouldn't be adapted to HD.

What they meant was that the console wouldn't render software in HD (Like the Dolphin emulator does). In a surprise for almost everyone since it was intepreted that Nintendo also meant no upscaling (And deinterlacing when necessary if the game wasn't progressive scan), the Wii U shipped with the ability to do both with original Wii software allowing HDTV owners to bypass their internal scaling chip that often did a less than perfect job with the original console.

Sadly, there's just no 4:3/16:9 switch. Not much of a problem with quality retail games since widescreen modes were close to universal (Although there are certainly a few like Data East Arcade Classics, House of the Dead II/III, etc.), but a major stumbling block for the original Virtual Console that was all 4:3 and is all stretched to 16:9 on the Wii U when you set the console to HD.

Nintendo could've solved this by mandating that 4:3 Wii software all do what something like Mega Man 9 does (Which is actually a less than perfect workaround since you waste limited resolution on the Wii's SD signal on the pillarboxing instead of dedicating it all to the game area itself). But Nintendo seemingly didn't believe that the HD age was even real back in 2006 and weren't thinking that far ahead.

At least anamorphic widescreen for retail Wii releases was common enough that the problem is limited. It's easy to solve if they're willing to fix it. But with the problem largely limited to the Virtual Console and with their Wii U specific Virtual Console already pillarboxing games to maintain original aspect ratio since the start, it's likely not in the cards.

Edited by Atariboy

According to NintendoLife, U.K. retailers are cutting the selling price of the Wii U even further and now throwing in a free Zombie U game. Nintendo has responded that they are going to meet with retailers to discuss the situation.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/wii_u_uk_price_reaches_new_low_as_hmv_slashes_premium_bundle_cost

Cosco already cut Wii U prices to $250 for the basic model for at least one sale period. Look it up if youre interested. It was for members only (go figure).

The Wii U does upscale to 720 and 1080 but it doesnt change the resolution so it gives a more pixulated edge to the figures. Still an upscale.

The Wii had nearly 1000 titles released and sold the most consoles ever (correct me if Im wrong?) and the Wii U gives fans a chance to catch up on their library of games (like the 100+ hr Xenoblade) in a great new picture quality as well as other titles for the casual gamer.

The Wii U is the only next gen console that is going after the market share of iGamers. The biggest complaint of playing games on tablets is no buttons or D-pads/sticks which Nintendo is actively taking on. I know there are "homebrew-ish" games that are kickerstarters that are coming out for the Wii U and will be playable on the gamepad which is a Massive step in the new era gaming.

Ok now its time to go back to my porch and yell at the neighbor kids making all that dang racket >:0-/-=

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

Playstation (102 million units sold) and Playstation 2 (Reached 150 million units sold two years ago and continues to be sold in small numbers to this day) sales surpass the 99 million Wii's (They're just shy of the 100 million mark with the last numbers I saw) that have been sold.

And upscaling means a lower resolution has been upped to a higher resolution after the fact. You can't upscale and not change the resolution since that's exactly what upscaling refers to doing. A lower resolution is scaled up to a higher resolution.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

Best Buy just had a two day sale where Wii U was $249.99. My guess is that will be the norm soon in spite of some peoples instance that a price drop won't happen. The real money is in the software supposedly, in order to sell software they need to get units in peoples houses. A price drop kind of makes prefect sense if you think about it.

Its a Catch-22, Moycon.... 3rd parties won't give full software support until the console sales numbers are there to justify investment. Console sales numbers won't be there until the software is on the shelves. Round and round we go.

But I agree with you that there will be a price cut on the Wii U by Nintendo, probably by E3.

Guess I'll get an Wii U Ambassador badge to go along with my 3DS Ambassador badge :D

• Like 1

Man, the Wii U was the first Nintendo console I didn't buy at launch (well, since the NES...I was only 3 months old at the time, so you know). I kind of want one just because its Nintendo and if nothing else their in-house titles for it will make me happy but looking at what is out for it right now, I just have no interest. My Wii ended up as nothing more than a Virtual Console machine and frankly at this point, I'll just be using ROMs. After buying all my favorite games two or three times it seems simpler to just load up DRM-free versions on my tablet and phone.

I figure I'll get one eventually but I feel like Nintendo felt the pressure to get new hardware out without really getting any solid games lined up for it.

While Amazon doesn't sell Wii U systems, they do sell the games and accessories and offer pretty good discounts on them. But if you look at Amazon's Top 100 Best Seller list, there is only one Wii U product on it: Lego City Undercover at #64.

Even more, Amazon is selling the Wii & Wii U versions of the Skylanders Giants Starter Pack for $37 (the Xbox360 & PS3 versions are $59); the Wii version is on the Bestseller list but the Wii U version isn't.

Nintendo does have a Wii U sales problem on their hands. I still think that the system will recover in sales, just like the 3DS did, once there is more software to buy. But just like with the 3DS, it will be Nintendo titles that will revive sales, not 3rd party. And that's very unfortunate.

Edited by Mendon

UK stores are getting a bit more pissed off from waiting:

http://www.destructo...er-249678.phtml

I think a price cut should be made soon.

Last night I asked my ten year old if anyone plays Nintendo in school and the response was "Nope, are you crazy dad?"

Ipod's and yes.......the Xbox 360......are still the things to do for kids.

Edited by cimerians

: I still say they should not have had the word "Wii" in there for the new system. Should of named it after a fish or something...

HA HA!

I think the "U" is the most confusing thing. What does it mean? Wii University? That sounds ridiculous, as ridiculous as Burger King University. Only there really was a Burger King University, but there's no Wii University. Every time I see Wii U, I think of Burger King University, because while there was one, it sounds equally ridiculous.

I wonder what was wrong with "Wii 2" or "Wii 400" or whatever. But "U?" I wonder if they came up with this in their in-house marketing dept, or if someone on Madison Avenue dreamed that up. Whoever it is, they're obviously not very good at their job.

• Like 2

I still think that the system will recover in sales, just like the 3DS did

I keep hearing this, but I'm not seeing it. Sure, I've read the sales figures. Wikipedia says the 3DS has sold over 29 million. That's a pretty respectable sales number. So why am I not seeing them and why don't I know more people with a 3DS? Did the same million people buy 30 each? Is there a secret community of closet 3DS owners, too ashamed to bring them out in public? Or are these are pity purchases to throw a bone to a beloved company as thanks for years of service? Those sales numbers are a conspiracy perpetrated to make the 3DS appear relevant. This conspiracy will undoubtedly begin to tweak Wii U sales figures soon... don't be surprised when those figures reach 30 million next year :D

• Like 2

HA HA!

I think the "U" is the most confusing thing. What does it mean? Wii University? That sounds ridiculous, as ridiculous as Burger King University. Only there really was a Burger King University, but there's no Wii University. Every time I see Wii U, I think of Burger King University, because while there was one, it sounds equally ridiculous.

I wonder what was wrong with "Wii 2" or "Wii 400" or whatever. But "U?" I wonder if they came up with this in their in-house marketing dept, or if someone on Madison Avenue dreamed that up. Whoever it is, they're obviously not very good at their job.

Is Wii U perhaps a play on words - "We / You" ?

Is Wii U perhaps a play on words - "We / You" ?

Wii was a double play. Wii as in "we", meaning us gamers. And as in "wee!" (fun).

According to Nintendo:

"Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

Wii U is a play on We, You. In other words, you and me and everyone else.

but apparently gamers are saying "pee, yew!" to wii u.

• Like 1

The only reason I can think of why Nintendo used "Wii" in the name was to try and rekindle the burning desire consumers had for the Wii in its heyday. Otherwise, it's a huge departure from their previous console naming conventions. The fact that the Wii U looks like a Wii has got to be confusing for a lot of non-gamers who are shopping for their grand-kids or whatever. It feels like its being marketed as a Wii+. Kinda like if they sold a GameCube with a Gameboy Player built in and an included GBA and called it a GameCube U.

Somebody at the Big N wasn't thinking clearly on this one.

• Like 1

To anyone who knows video games, the non-video game brand name DKNY had me thinking "Donkey Kong New York".

One of the problems must be just how fast the gaming market changes now, how much competition there is (2 strong consoles plus since phones and tablets are competition now), and how jaded (spoiled) gamers are. The old marketing tactics have to be less-effective under these circumstances.

In the old days:

(1) Just release the console at [relatively] high price, only 1 or 2 hit games, and droves of early adopters would rush in. With the [relative] dearth of entertainment compared to today, they would come. They would generate buzz, and free advertising. Hold out on multiple high-profile "killer apps." You've already captured the early adopters, in sizable number.

(2) Wait until Holiday season (or whenever) and release the "killer apps" and get new buzz and free advertising again, like a ONE-TWO punch.

(3) Dole out further "killer apps" only as necessary to stoke up the buzz again, and only when it's needed.

(4) Much further down the road, price cut, and a few more high-profile titles, probably sequels at this point. Finally, you'll get old El-Cheapo on board.

Isn't this pretty much how they've done it in the past, before the original Wii? The original Wii was such a phenomenal runaway success that they didn't even need a strategy at all, besides cajoling the factory to increase production to keep up with demand. But the Nintendo 64 only launched with two launch titles - Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings - and was pretty successful despite Playstation and Saturn. Granted, Super Mario was revolutionary, but that's not a lot of games. That formula used to work.

Now, there's all this other gaming, and although there's more than 2 launch titles, there's no Super Mario Wii U.

I think in order to get the attention of a market that's largely satiated (or overwhelmed) with entertainment beyond the dreams of anybody 10 years ago, console makers can't hold back anymore. They need to blow the entire wad at once, at launch, or they'll only be a minor blip on the gaming radar, and a disappointment afterwards.

I suppose they're going to tread water most of the summer, release at least one great 1st-party game in the fall, and then start hyping-up the "killer apps" intended to be released for Holiday purchases. They better blow the gaming wad and release multiple 1st-party killer apps.

I wonder if they'd have been more successful had they launched with Super Mario Wii U (meaning an awesome 3D game) instead of New Super Mario Bros, and released that later?

It's really hard to blame them too much overall, in this modern world of entertainment overload. I think the next 2 consoles are going to have their work cut out for them. After all the HD gaming and gaming on *so many* devices, what will it take to truly impress anybody, nowadays? The kids don't want to just be entertained like kids did years ago. They're already overly-entertained. They want to be absolutely, jaw-droppingly thrilled, and that's not an easy thing to do anymore.

Edited by wood_jl