IGNORED

Opcode Games 10th Anniversary

opcode

It just occurred me that this year marks the 10th anniversary of Space Invaders Collection, which means it is also the official Opcode Games 10th anniversary, even though I started back in 1997.

Need to think of something nice to celebrate the special occasion.... :)

• Like 15

I think you should celebrate by giving the 8th poster in this thread a free authographed copy of the Space Indvaders Collection! :P

Well then, technically, I would be the 8th poster in this thread seeing as Opcode was the Topic/Thread Starter. I'll take that autographed copy of SIC! :twisted:

Congrats on 10 years of CV Homebrewing!

It just occurred me that this year marks the 10th anniversary of Space Invaders Collection, which means it is also the official Opcode Games 10th anniversary, even though I started back in 1997.

Need to think of something nice to celebrate the special occasion.... :)

Beer?

Thanks Luc. My other idea was to auction off a Sgm with his name written with a silver Sharpie on the black part of the unit as a cool way to raise money for his other projects. It would be a rare and collectible item. That's if he has a spare one available.

Actually, last I heard, 10 SGMs will be auctionned off on eBay. Not sure exactly when, but I expect it will be somewhere in April or May.

Thanks guys!

As you guys know I published my last game in 2006 (Magical Tree). After that I release two more games, but Pixelboy was actually in charge, so I didn't get too involved until later.

For this year I am planning a coming back. We have the SGM releasing this month (fingers crossed) and I have plans to publish 5 games, after a 7 years hiatus.

3 games I can already announce, as they have been a long time coming:

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Donkey Kong Arcade

In addition to that I am finishing a new PCB called the Super Game Cartridge that will be used with all new games. So DKA will be able to keep your highscore table, Goonies will let you continue from the last stage you played. Knightmare will remember how far you have gone, and offer you warp exits to those later stages (not to mention a totally new difficulty more for those over 40). ;)

As I was explaining in another thread, the only way for me to be both a developer and publisher (not to mention to have a full time job and enjoy my family and kids), is to manage my time properly. The main reason I got out of the publishing front was because I was getting swamped with the distribution side and was doing mostly a poor job. So for this year I plan to do things differently.

I will have periods of development and periods of sales and distribution. During the periods of development I won't be sealing any game or device. And during periods of sales and distribution I will be focused on that, managing order/pre-order lists, shipping games, etc. In the past, shipping a new game was a nightmare as I had to assemble boxes, solder components on PCBs, etc. Now I have the necessary infrastructure in place to get all of that already assembled, so I only need to place the PCB inside a case, test the game, stick a label, and it is ready to ship.

Because of the new scheme, I will be offering games in smaller runs, for example 150 copies for the first run. But I will be able to offer several runs of a given game, until there is no longer demand, or I get out of packaging. So in case you miss a run, no need to worry, you just need to wait until the next window.

Hopefully this scheme will work well for all of us. And hopefully it will make me more productive and I will get all the 5 games out of door this year as planned, perhaps I can even squish a Space Invaders Collection re-release in there somehow. :D

• Like 7

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Donkey Kong Arcade

And just for the record, I will remove Goonies and Knightmare from the Team Pixelboy web site within a couple of weeks. I'm too busy to do it right now, but I'll get around to it. :)

Thanks guys!

As you guys know I published my last game in 2006 (Magical Tree). After that I release two more games, but Pixelboy was actually in charge, so I didn't get too involved until later.

For this year I am planning a coming back. We have the SGM releasing this month (fingers crossed) and I have plans to publish 5 games, after a 7 years hiatus.

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Donkey Kong Arcade

In addition to that I am finishing a new PCB called the Super Game Cartridge that will be used with all new games. So DKA will be able to keep your highscore table, Goonies will let you continue from the last stage you played. Knightmare will remember how far you have gone, and offer you warp exits to those later stages (not to mention a totally new difficulty more for those over 40). ;)

As I was explaining in another thread, the only way for me to be both a developer and publisher (not to mention to have a full time job and enjoy my family and kids), is to manage my time properly. The main reason I got out of the publishing front was because I was getting swamped with the distribution side and was doing mostly a poor job. So for this year I plan to do things differently.

I will have periods of development and periods of sales and distribution. During the periods of development I won't be sealing any game or device. And during periods of sales and distribution I will be focused on that, managing order/pre-order lists, shipping games, etc. In the past, shipping a new game was a nightmare as I had to assemble boxes, solder components on PCBs, etc. Now I have the necessary infrastructure in place to get all of that already assembled, so I only need to place the PCB inside a case, test the game, stick a label, and it is ready to ship.

Because of the new scheme, I will be offering games in smaller runs, for example 150 copies for the first run. But I will be able to offer several runs of a given game, until there is no longer demand, or I get out of packaging. So in case you miss a run, no need to worry, you just need to wait until the next window.

Hopefully this scheme will work well for all of us. And hopefully it will make me more productive and I will get all the 5 games out of door this year as planned, perhaps I can even squish a Space Invaders Collection re-release in there somehow. :D

Oh really looking forward to the SGM and of course the Super Game cartridge, now I will have to think of an original game that will take full advantage of it so I can add to the wonderful releases you have planned yourself - count me in for Knightmare and Goonies (two of my favourite MSX games).

My old game conversions are almost done, but I am still procrastinating about some of the graphics and sounds and real life keeps on interrupting. I now have a good set of libraries and tools though so the next titles should come out quicker.

Oh really looking forward to the SGM and of course the Super Game cartridge, now I will have to think of an original game that will take full advantage of it so I can add to the wonderful releases you have planned yourself - count me in for Knightmare and Goonies (two of my favourite MSX games).

My old game conversions are almost done, but I am still procrastinating about some of the graphics and sounds and real life keeps on interrupting. I now have a good set of libraries and tools though so the next titles should come out quicker.

That would be great. The more the merrier. :)

For me 2013 is also meaningful for different reasons other than just Opcode Games, though still somewhat related. It was 30 years ago (gosh, time surely flies) that I first played a console game (both 2600 and ColecoVision at the same day), and this month (March) marks 30 years since I first saw TRON, probably the thing that got me into programming. In Brazil TRON was released in March 1983, and I went to a nice theater were they had 70mm projection to go see the movie. I don't quite remember if I really got all the nuances of the plot, but I had no doubt about what I wanted to be after the movie was over. I thought programmers were the coolest thing ever. :)

Before TRON I had already played a bunch of arcade games, but I don't think I was really into video games. I was more of a genre movie buff. Then a few months later I was presented to the ColecoVision and 2600 through a very wealthy school friend. Guess what I got for Christmas 83? A 2600 of course, as my parents weren't as wealthy (in today's money, a 2600 cost US$1,000 back in 83, my father had to buy it in 5 installments). And before you think I was too late for the party, remember, I was in Brazil, video games weren't officially released down there until 1983.

Anyways, 30 years of fun and good memories. :)

Edited by opcode
  • Like 4

Good story Eduardo. :)

I also got my first ColecoVision in 1983.

I tried an IntelliVision and the 2600 in a store before the ColecoVision, and I must say graphics was not exactly what I expected.

My cousin Brian had an Atari 2600 and later my cousin Dennis got a Sega Master System.

The SMS had a good graphic and sound.

My cousin Jimmy was a true Commodore fan. (64/128/Amiga).

I also have a NES, but the CV is still my # 1. :)

Edited by ten-four

We didn't have a "video game crash" in Brazil, however we quickly got out of games since no one was creating them in Brazil. So by late 1984 I was already looking for a home computer. I was aware that the ADAM was DOA (pun intended) so my first option was the Atari computers. I never managed to get one, as they were only available through black market and very expensive.

In 1985 I friend show me a flyer for a new computer that was going to be released later that year, the Gradient Expert, one of the two MSX1 released in Brazil that year. I loved everything, from the specs to the design. Got one that Christmas. Soon I realized that it was mostly identical to the CV, once I started seeing a bunch of CV games running on the machine. Loved it even more. :)

post-1432-0-75750100-1363634674_thumb.jpg

Edited by opcode