IGNORED

Opcode Games 10th Anniversary

opcode

Wow, that's quite the machine! I was always curious about the MSX machines, but in Canada I think we only ever got a sole Yamaha unit, and that was aimed at the music market because it had MIDI ports.

Brazil was PAL, not NTSC, right? What is the voltage system there?

Did it have a built-in machine language monitor?

Since it ran MSX BASIC *and* CP/M it may be close to a dream machine for me :) I may have trouble reading Portuguese manuals, though.

We didn't have a "video game crash" in Brazil, however we quickly got out of games since no one was creating them in Brazil. So by late 1984 I was already looking for a home computer. I was aware that the ADAM was DOA (pun intended) so my first option was the Atari computers. I never managed to get one, as they were only available through black market and very expensive.

In 1985 I friend show me a flyer for a new computer that was going to be released later that year, the Gradient Expert, one of the two MSX1 released in Brazil that year. I loved everything, from the specs to the design. Got one that Christmas. Soon I realized that it was mostly identical to the CV, once I started seeing a bunch of CV games running on the machine. Loved it even more. :)

Soon I realized that it was mostly identical to the CV, once I started seeing a bunch of CV games running on the machine. Loved it even more. :)

Who said crash.

After ColecoVision was NES the king in Denmark, and games was floating all over.

For Computers was it mostly Commodore, Apple II, ZX Spectrum and Atari ST.

When you said: it was mostly identical to the CV, led me to think of of Cousin Jimmy's first home computer.

It was a Spectravideo 318, and I remember he had 2 cartridges for this.

Spectron and Frantic Freddy which I later also bought to my own ColecoVision :)

I started out with a TI-99/4A but with no Advanced Basic cartridge, so it was really too slow to make games for. But it was a great first computer that got me familiar with the TI-99xx chipsets.

Then my local game store owner showed me a brochure of the Spectravideo SV-318, with it's rubber keyboard and red joystick, along with awesome looking graphics. Doing a bit of an part time work to get a discount, along with the funds from selling my TI I took one home.

svlineup750.jpg

The rest shall we say is history.

• Like 1

Wow, that's quite the machine! I was always curious about the MSX machines, but in Canada I think we only ever got a sole Yamaha unit, and that was aimed at the music market because it had MIDI ports.

Brazil was PAL, not NTSC, right? What is the voltage system there?

Brazil is PAL-M, 110V. PAL-M is 60HZ, so to convert it to NTSC is just a matter of replacing a crystal. Oh, and it has RGB output, so you could use that too...

Did it have a built-in machine language monitor?

No, only BASIC.

Since it ran MSX BASIC *and* CP/M it may be close to a dream machine for me :) I may have trouble reading Portuguese manuals, though.

Since MSX is a platform spec, any MSX manual should work. I think you can find very good documentation online.

BTW, I have a modded Expert that was upgraded to MSX2+ with 7MHz CPU clock, 1MB of RAM (that is right), 3 extra internal slots, 192KB of VRAM, plus a number of other goodies. It also came with floppy and IDE interfaces. Very powerful.

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys!

As you guys know I published my last game in 2006 (Magical Tree). After that I release two more games, but Pixelboy was actually in charge, so I didn't get too involved until later.

For this year I am planning a coming back. We have the SGM releasing this month (fingers crossed) and I have plans to publish 5 games, after a 7 years hiatus.

3 games I can already announce, as they have been a long time coming:

- Knightmare

- Goonies

- Donkey Kong Arcade

In addition to that I am finishing a new PCB called the Super Game Cartridge that will be used with all new games. So DKA will be able to keep your highscore table, Goonies will let you continue from the last stage you played. Knightmare will remember how far you have gone, and offer you warp exits to those later stages (not to mention a totally new difficulty more for those over 40). icon_wink.gif

As I was explaining in another thread, the only way for me to be both a developer and publisher (not to mention to have a full time job and enjoy my family and kids), is to manage my time properly. The main reason I got out of the publishing front was because I was getting swamped with the distribution side and was doing mostly a poor job. So for this year I plan to do things differently.

I will have periods of development and periods of sales and distribution. During the periods of development I won't be sealing any game or device. And during periods of sales and distribution I will be focused on that, managing order/pre-order lists, shipping games, etc. In the past, shipping a new game was a nightmare as I had to assemble boxes, solder components on PCBs, etc. Now I have the necessary infrastructure in place to get all of that already assembled, so I only need to place the PCB inside a case, test the game, stick a label, and it is ready to ship.

Because of the new scheme, I will be offering games in smaller runs, for example 150 copies for the first run. But I will be able to offer several runs of a given game, until there is no longer demand, or I get out of packaging. So in case you miss a run, no need to worry, you just need to wait until the next window.

Hopefully this scheme will work well for all of us. And hopefully it will make me more productive and I will get all the 5 games out of door this year as planned, perhaps I can even squish a Space Invaders Collection re-release in there somehow. icon_mrgreen.gif

Hi all, as someone who is new to the Colecovision scene I would really appreciate a Space Invaders and Pac Man Collection re-release.

Now that I am part of the community I will be buying games as they come out. I don't know if there enough demand but I certainly can be counted on to buy

both re-releases.

I hope others who are part of the community and also missed out will support me on this,

Thanks

P.S. Eduardo make my Space Invaders and Pac Man Collection dream come true.

Fear not, PMC and SIC will be re-released eventually, as part of the SGM arcade line. .... Oh, look that, a black cat went past us, and then another that looked just like it.....

Edited by opcode
  • Like 1

LOL :lolblue: you guys are pretty funny.. Hah!

That was big no-no though.. but im sure they'll catch on. I double post things sometimes by accident (usually on mobile) but that and posting the same message in a few different threads are 2 different things. ;)

At least his question got answered with some good news... Good news indeed. :thumbsup:

I wasn't around when SIC and PMC was first released, Some has had a loose copy of SIC is on ebay for a lot of money but its been sitting there a while.. I don't think it's going anywhere, anytime soon. I want the game but I certain wouldn't pay what that seller is asking and personally I'd rather have PMC over SIC.. I loveed playing Pac-Man in the arcades when I was younger. Good stuff..

It would be awesome to catch a re-release of those games, as well as other OpCode games that are no longer available. I dont have Any of them yet.. so i'm personally looking forward to this :grin: Patience...

• 2 years later...

It just occurred me that this year marks the 10th anniversary of Space Invaders Collection, which means it is also the official Opcode Games 10th anniversary, even though I started back in 1997.

Need to think of something nice to celebrate the special occasion.... icon_smile.gif

Congrats on 10 years! I'm new to this site, but not new to ColecoVision. In fact, I'm happy to report that my copy of Space Invaders Collection is still housed in the plastic bag it came in with your handwritten number "18" on it. Just out of curiosity, how many copies made up the first run?

(BTW, I have a picture of it I tried to include in this post, but since it's my first one, apparently I don't have photo upload privileges yet.)

Edited by Panama Joe