IGNORED

New paddles in stock at Amazon

SpiceWare

Wow the reviews aren't very good eh? Most are just stating they didn't receive the paddles, but of the ones that did, about half leave a lot to be desired. They mention lag, the fact you get two paddles but only one person can use them? I dunno.

Part of why I decided to get new paddles is the plastic has become brittle. I cleaned a couple sets last week and few shells broke, here's a couple of them:

post-3056-0-24643400-1363538392_thumb.jpg

I took one good shell from a set of paddles with broken wires at the plug and taped the other shell together so it was useable as I was setting up a friend with an Atari system for his birthday.

The lag is specific to the Flashback 4. The review by Andrew mentions it and that they work great for original hardware:

If you are thinking of purchasing these for the Atari Flashback 4 and hoping it will be like old times, don't. You will be disappointed. The input lags big time and there is no precision. It's like playing your old paddle games after consuming a six pack.

So why the high rating? Plugged into the original Atari hardware, the control it PERFECT. Precise one-to-one control. Gaming nirvana. They look and feel just like the originals. I place all the blame for the lag on the Flashback's emulation.

not sure what to make about the "Only supports one player at a time with a single two paddle connector?," review - I suspect they don't know that player 2 uses the 2nd paddle in the left joystick port.

As far as not receiving them, I think those were preorders that took longer to fulfill than expected as I've never seen them in stock until this morning. My ETA is Wednesday, I'll keep y'all informed.

Wow the reviews aren't very good eh? Most are just stating they didn't receive the paddles, but of the ones that did, about half leave a lot to be desired. They mention lag, the fact you get two paddles but only one person can use them? I dunno.

The lag on the FB4 is due to the analog to digital conversion. Once you get used to it, the games play ok. Just a different feel from a real 2600.

I'm guessing the lag is the lag in the Flashback 3/4, and probably not the paddle itself.

It's more noticeable in some paddle games than others in my FB 4, and that's with original paddles.

(as mentioned by the 2 posts that went in before I submitted mine..) ;-)

Not sure what they mean about "2 paddles but only one can use them"??

I'd guess operator error on that. I can't imagine even AT Games bothering to produce 2 paddles per plug, with only 1 working..

desiv

Edited by desiv

They arrived this morning and work great! They look just like original paddles, only difference I could see from the outside was they used slightly smaller black screws to hold the shell together.

I opened one up and the insides are very similar. The pot is a slightly different design:

post-3056-0-73960100-1363799495_thumb.jpg

so the hole in the knob is a full circle instead of half circle and the wire connections are 90° off from stock.

I ordered the paddles when I ordered my Flash Back. They didn't show up till after Christmas. And they suck, for the flashback anyway. They still lagged when used. You don't have the accuracy. You turn the paddle, and a split second later the cursor moves. Not good at all when playing Kaboom or breakout. It's because of the paddles I shelved my flashback. I didn't like the infrared sticks, and hoped the paddles would give me a better play on those games, and they were worse. That whole flashback was a waste of my hard earned money and the paddles contributed to that.

That whole flashback was a waste of my hard earned money and the paddles contributed to that.

I don't doubt that the new Flashbacks are disappointing, but have you tried these paddles with an original Atari system? From what I've read, the lag you speak of is a function of the Flashback console and not of the paddles. Like the originals, these new paddles seem to contain only a pot and a trigger, so there's nothing inside the paddle that can even create any sort of lag.