IGNORED

New Direction - 1k intro

MaPa

Hi, here is our latest production. 1k intro presented at Forever 14 -Elvis Lives party where it took 2nd place. Source code included as always. Enjoy.

---------------------------------
    New Direction

1k intro for Forever 14 party

code: MaPa
     msx: PG

pg@pinknet.cz

post-3960-0-52387100-1363545447_thumb.png post-3960-0-57567000-1363545452_thumb.png post-3960-0-91284600-1363545456_thumb.png post-3960-0-69737600-1363545460_thumb.png

New Direction.zip

Edited by MaPa
  • Like 16

So the record for colors in a line is something like 85 then? :)

I think there is up to 90 colors in a line (overscan).

How?

Easily ;) Simple GTIA mode 9 with midscanline background color changes with VSCROLL trick help to avoid screen DMA and allow more changes.

Just wow! How did you cram so many colours in a scanline? I guess I will have to look at the source, but it still won't help me, I'm sure :)

I wrote it just above.. and surely you would find it out from the sources too :)

• Like 1

Nice. I'm about to sleep and will be left wondering (after having quick look in debugger) how the hell the thing works despite the Refresh cycles.

It would appear the horizontal bars move by a single pixel per frame - so I'm thinking now that a diagonal colour bar effect should be possible then.

• Like 1

It would appear the horizontal bars move by a single pixel per frame - so I'm thinking now that a diagonal colour bar effect should be possible then.

Yea! Does HSCROL still work with the VSCROL no-DMA trick? If so, you could use HSCROL to shift bit pattern up to 8 16-color pixel widths each line and change the COLBK kernel each line to make the pattern diagonal.

HScrolling is still OK with the VScrol line extender trick although with HScrolling you lose more cycles per scanline as there is more graphics DMA.

In GTIA modes HScrolling is only valid in 2 colour clock chunks due to how the pixel data is combined.

My first impression was that it was a PMG overlay trick but of course we don't have the speed for that. I'm going to have to single-step this, I really never thought the CPU would be fast enough for so many colour changes.

HScrolling is still OK with the VScrol line extender trick although with HScrolling you lose more cycles per scanline as there is more graphics DMA.

You lose 8 cycles per "mode" line when enabling HScrol. Only at first scanline of line extended with VScrol, the remaining scanlines are without any DMA (only stupid RAM refreshes in display area). In case of this intro there already is wide screen so HScrol does not make it any worse and it is used to scroll.

My first impression was that it was a PMG overlay trick but of course we don't have the speed for that.

AFAIK in GTIA mode 9, you can overlay the graphics only with 5th player. Normal players will not OR with background.

I'm going to have to single-step this, I really never thought the CPU would be fast enough for so many colour changes.

And as we have no DMA and all cycles are left to the CPU then 8 pixels wide bar equals to 8 CPU cysles, so LDA #imm, STA $abs with 6 cycles is fast enough. Only "problem" are 9 RAM refreshes in left part of the screen, where the 6 cycles of LDA/STA will hit two refreshes, lenghten it to 8 cycles.. exactly the size of the bar ;)

Edited by MaPa
  • Like 1

• 9 years later...

Excuse my English, I speak Spanish.
Your demo is fantastic, do you think your routines could be modified so that you can place from 8 to 16 different colors per character in graphics 0 as they have tried to do in this other post.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/102411-es-posible-tener-texto-coloreado-como-a-c64/?do=findComment&comment=1244040

And thus make life easier for those of us who return to Atari after many years and wish to make our programs colorful but using BASIC or FastBasic .

The programs will be in character or text mode, perhaps with redefinition of characters, the speed of execution for the moment would not be so critical.

Edited by Cecito

Not possible on an unmodified machine.  The colour placement cannot be done "per cell" in text mode.  Using the player missile graphics as an underlay can help, but the machine will never do text like a C64.  Using the VBXE upgrade, we can have true 80 column text in 128 colours, unrestricted.