IGNORED

Do certain plastic react w/ each other? controller cord melted on PSX case

Uzumaki

See picture

melted_case_zps2ac5974d.png

While I was digging out my PSX stuff to play games, I found the controller extension (some 3rd party brand) had fused into the case for Final Fantasy IX game. I was able to separate it and the cord looked OK but the plastic around the melted indention on the case feels very soft, almost rubbery. The indention goes almost completely through the case.

Was it due to weird chemical reaction from 2 different plastics or something? The case and the cord both looks clean otherwise and no funny smell. I don't store chemical in my room where the game stuff were stored, the strongest stuff is probably a glue stick or rubbing alcohol.

• Like 1

I see that a lot on old systems and computers. I call it "Cord Melt." I'm not sure what causes it, chemically (RevEng could be right), but I assume it has to do with long-term storage in warm/humid conditions.

Basically, if you're going to store your stuff, don't shove it in a cardboard box in your attic or garage for 10+ years.

My guess here is the extension cord had some out-gassing of softeners (used to keep the cord pliable) that reacted with the case, instead of the plastics themselves actually reacting together.

This makes sense. I had some controllers that would get a sticky coating buildup just sitting on the shelf which I suspected was from the controller plastic reaction itself. After a very difficult cleaning with Alcohol, LiftOff and even Ajax, I finally managed to scrub the controller shell free of the gunk. The stickiness has not returned, maybe the same affect described in Wiki, the new car smell of the plastic reaction settling down.

@ Uzumaki, RevEng - Thank you very much for sharing this. The picture though a rare occurrence proves this does happen, maybe a good idea never to delete it. Important to get the word out, I quoted this section back at my Game Controller Storage Guide.

Game Controller Storage Guide - http://www.racketboy...=625519#p625519

I've seen that a lot on old video games and machines like the MC-10.

Funny you mention the MC-10...I've got a spare MC-10 with pretty bad cord melt on the top.

I've also got it on a Fairchild system, Sears Pong, one or two of my Odyssey pongs, and possibly some other really old stuff (probably pongs, ha). I've seen it most in the really old, stone-age stuff. But then, that's what I'm into, so that's what I look at. :P

I see that a lot on old systems and computers. I call it "Cord Melt." I'm not sure what causes it, chemically (RevEng could be right), but I assume it has to do with long-term storage in warm/humid conditions.

It does get warm in Michigan in summer. In where I live, the temp rarely the temp goes past 90'F (32'C).

Basically, if you're going to store your stuff, don't shove it in a cardboard box in your attic or garage for 10+ years.

Or keep the games and any cords separate. The game stuff were all stored in my room and usually the temp don't top 80'F in my room.

The clear part of the CD case seems to be polycarbonite

I've seen this too. It seems like the "softer" the plastic, the more likely it might happen. Cords, for example, have to be flexible and some of them get harder, even kind of brittle over time. More recently, some products come with a "soft touch" coating or something like those "rubberized grips" on pens and pencils which seem to melt with prolonged pressure. In my experience, this all can happen at room temperature.

I also had two hard plastic cassette holders with genesis games in them that were touching each other for a long time, and I think I may have spilled an ounce or so of rubbing alcohol on them without thinking much about it and later noticed that they had fused together (all the genny game carts were fine). Another time, I spilled some alcohol on a plastic mat I stood on in front of my workbench. I later noticed a footprint of my shoe on it.

Edited by fiddlepaddle

I've only seen this a few time with gaming stuff, but I see it all the time with the rubbery plastic fishing lures like worms, minnows, etc. They often react to certain plastics and lead to a shift in the type of plastic they used for most tackle boxes many years ago. I remember as a kid even, seeing labels on new boxes that said made with worm safe plastic.

Funny you mention the MC-10...I've got a spare MC-10 with pretty bad cord melt on the top.

I've also got it on a Fairchild system, Sears Pong, one or two of my Odyssey pongs, and possibly some other really old stuff (probably pongs, ha). I've seen it most in the really old, stone-age stuff. But then, that's what I'm into, so that's what I look at. :P

MC-10? like the TRS-80 mini thing that wasn't good at all?

Mine looks like it has been hit with an iron, a big old curved line going through the top of it. I'm guessing thats the "cord melt" happening too.

That's a little harsh, but yes, that's it. :P

There have been some cool games written for it in recent years.

I only like it because it got me into BASIC

All the games are so you have to press the direction key over, and over and over to get anywhere. Its just not good for gaming.

Upon closer inspection, it looks scared up on the bottom of my system, probably from cords.

MC-10? like the TRS-80 mini thing that wasn't good at all?

Totally useless.

<edit> stupid yahoo

Mine looks like it has been hit with an iron, a big old curved line going through the top of it. I'm guessing thats the "cord melt" happening too.

Yup, that's cord melt! Something about the plastic they used on that machine makes it very susceptible.

At any given time I think there is an MC-10 on ebay with cord melt.

Edited by JamesD