IGNORED

8- bit computer synthcart/midi modification pokey music

grIMP

hey guys , i have a mssiah synthcart from 8-bit ventures for my c-64 and i was wondering if there exists anywhere a synthcart for the atari 8-bit machines to access the pokey chip in a similar way as mssiah. i have looked every where and even asked 8-bit ventures if they would do one and they said they had no intentions of making one .

if one does'nt exist, is there anyone that knows basic well enough to make something like this ? could put the program on a flashcart maybe ? and modify the computer

with midi?

Also does anyone do midi modifications to the 800xl ?

i just really want to be able to control the pokey chip through my daw and midi sequence it like i do with my c64. i love the way the pokey sounds , probably even over the SID.

any good direction on this would be awesome .

please help i have been trying for well over a year for a solution . thanks alot :)

There are a number of MIDI hardware solutions for the 8-bit (MidiMax, MidiMate) ... surely it would be possible to program the cart to use one of these.

What I'd like, is software like CMC, or TMC, or a drum machine program I saw on atarionline.pl (can't remember the link), to be retro-engineered to work with MIDI and sync up with a MIDI time clock. I would LOVE to fully integrate y Atari 1200XL into my MIDI studio.

thats all very helpful and i appreciate it . i even saw this . http://www.asselheim.de/atari/ which seems like a modern solution to the midi issue without shelling out big bucks for the old stuff.

it was in german but ive asked the person that runs that site as well as the guy who runs atari max if they can sell me one . ill let you know as soon as i hear anything .

still doesnt solve the software issue though . id like a software suite that allows me to directly control pokey like a synth and change sounds and have access to all the channels etc.

ill keep looking . let me know if you run across anything .

@FRES . as i want this thread to stay positive and helpful and opinions can lead to arguing for some reason lol . id like to stay on topic .

BUT i love SID i just think it sounds too grainy sometimes and i like the more rounded "pleasant" sound of the pokey .

it just fits my music style better.

The SID does have a certain warmth to it - but if you want a harsh, sharper more punk-sound I think the pokey probably does a better job of it, but for a lot of styles the SID has a lot more pros than cons.

Mind you - if you want sound effects nothing says 'blowing s**t up' like those raw grunts from the Pokey. Not really the SIDs strong point at all

Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 1

thats really cool are they for sell? i think those the same guys as the link i posted above . not sure though . both german and it looks the same . i just need to get my hands on one .

thanks for the links :)

Still need to get ahold of some software though .

Does the midi mates software let you just access all the internal sounds ? and modify the adsr and osc. and what not ?

Hello grIMP

There are other reasons why it looks the same. I personally know HARdwareDoc, if he designs something, it works. And it's practically foolproof. Try contacting him. But as I said, his English is a bit rusty.

MIDIMATE was designed for controlling instruments from your computer via MIDI, not the other way around. You're probably not gonna find existing software for your purposes. But you can use the interface to play MIDIMAZE! :D

Sincerely

Mathy

yeah, im not a programmer but i cant imagine its THAT hard. it can be as simple as the program MGB 1.3 i use for my gameboy to sinc up with the arduino boy i have . Its not fancy but it gets the job done and even lets you change sounds and envelopes and use all 4 channels ,and i midi sequence it into my songs all day long through ableton . i think its possible , there just isnt enough interest in the poor pokey :(

Yea chiptunes! Good topic!

I dig the interest, the A800 NEEDS a midi interface.

I can't offer too much, except to point to parallel projects for other platforms. Bear in mind that the specifics are, of course different, but the concepts could be translated to any platform.

Little Scales's Blog

http://little-scale.blogspot.com/

His projects:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9365/sega-master-system-how-to-make-a-sega-master-system-midi-interface/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/562/sega-md-gen-genmdm-sega-genesis-mega-drive-midi-interface/

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10345/a26f-atari-2600-midi-music-interface/

All these interfaces use a combo of a simple kernel running on the target and a interface controller: converting midi messages to app specific data, feed to the target through a game port.

The NES 'ChipMaestro"

Same principal.

None are native trackers, relying on the host system's note & CC messages, but the kernel is so simple: read port, when data arrives sort it out and push into the right register, go back to waiting on the port. No screen, no FX, just pass the incoming data to the correct register. The heavy lifting is done by the interface u Controller and midi sequencer.

Yogi

There is a great program on side two of the Midi Music System disk that will convert AMS files to MIDI files for use with the Midi Music System (not standard MIDI files).

Not what your looking for I know, but it is a round about way to compose on the Atari with Pokey, and then be able to hear that song on an external hardware synth with your choice of instruments.

Thanks Van , yeah im aware of little-scale. and im trying to get ahold of him to hire him to do these mods but i doubt he will respond . i wonder if there is any one in the U.S. that can easily do all the little scale arduino mods . ? if so id hire them in a second . this stuff is just way out of my league. :(

MIDIMATE was designed for controlling instruments from your computer via MIDI, not the other way around. You're probably not gonna find existing software for your purposes. But you

I've seen Christoph playing with the keyboard and saving the notes on the atari and then playback them with pokey sounds. Try to contact him. I'm sure he will sell you a device and can help you with the software.

thanks van, ive sent him a message there . but he has not replied . so i said screw it . i actually found 2 people here in dallas that can probably do all his mods . so im gonna go that route. thanks though .

Cool, all those projects look good! Glad you found some local help, nice to have plpz near to work out problems with..

I definitely want to do the A26F in the near term. But ATM, I've been trying to get a Game Gear up and running for his SMS/midi but ran into a snag that is driving me a little nutz :twisted: but hey that's part of the fun!

Will be looking into his source code, 'cause like you , would love to see a midi interface. Just hoping it's not too high above my skill level (it's been like 20yrs since I've done coding on the 6502, in any serious way)

The MIDI-Mate is like a network Interface and as such it can send and receive. The MIDI protocol is open and accessible for everybody. Maybe we see more MIDI-Network games like MIDI-Maze in the future? For example at the yearly ABBUC software competition?

• 3 years later...

Sorry for reviving this old topic, but as grIMP seems to have found my MidiJoy project only two years after I started it, I thought I would like to let everyone know about it who might be interested. More information can be found here:

http://www.phobotron.de/midijoy_en.html

and

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229790-midijoy-using-your-atari-as-a-chiptune-instrument/

Cheers,

F.