IGNORED

Any Homebrew Programmers for Hire?

Hi friends -

I am not a programmer, but I am interested in producing a homebrew game for the Atari 2600, possibly a game based on my little indie film Dead of Knight (www.facebook.com/deadofknight)

I am interested in talking to programmers and getting an idea of the costs involved - your time programming, and the costs of physical production and packaging.

I would like to design the game.

If you are interested in starting a conversation, reply here or email me directly at joe3 - at - grisaffi.com

Thank you!

Joe Grisaffi

Houston, TX

Do you have permission from Starship Films, Joe Grisaffi or Emilio Iasiello?

I'm pretty sure that Joe Grisaffi gave Joe Grisaffi permission. :D

Do you have a pothead cousin or nephew that knows how to program using BASIC? If so, they could make the game using batari Basic.

• Like 1

You should run away from these forums fast, never look back! You are like a chunk of raw meat thrown into a den of wolves!

All newcomers are looked at with suspicious eyes, especially if they come bearing a rare game to sell!!!!

AhhhHhhhhhbaaaa, anyway, forget an atari 2600 version, how about intellivision?!!!!

'Groovybee' can program it for ya in like a few days. ;-).

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, theloon. I glanced at it and will definitely read it thoroughly. And, yes, I have the rights to the film ;)

Compensation is why I would like to chat with a programmer - to get an idea of a cost range for a programmer's time and decide if it is an amount I could raise. If the money is not raised, the work is not done.

I'll readily admit this idea is not thought out thoroughly by any means. Just a cross-promotional idea I had for the film.

I would also be open to exploring the INTV format as well, thanks for the suggestion, revolutionika.

Thank you for your time.

Joe

Pending an official reply I found his game collection archived:

http://web.archive.o...m/joegames.html

A listing of his coin-op collection:

http://ww.ggdb.com/C...r.aspx?mid=1345

Also:

http://blogs.houston...oe_grisaffi.php

What Inspires Him: Though he's a film buff, Grisaffi draws a lot of his inspiration from classic adventure video games. He's an acknowledged collector of and expert at video game systems and releases, including being one of the only people I know that actually owns a physical copy of the most violent game ever released, Chiller. Text adventures like Zork and Colossal Cave are big on his list, as are Mystery House, Wizard and the Princess, and early RPGs like Ultima and Wizardry. The Resident Evil series is also good for jumpstarting his creative juices.

http://www.wildviole..._grisaffi2.html

In high school around 1984 I was a big fan of a laser disc video game called Cliff Hanger. I later learned that the animation was actually taken from Lupin III and the Castle of Cagliostro. Great stuff. Then there was the Nintendo game Golgo 13: Top Secret Episode, which was a favorite game of mine to play.

Flickr account starts with a few notable games. Major props for the Turtles! game love.

http://www.flickr.co...s/23517466@N05/

"We got a morgue full of corpses, there's nothing crazier than that!"

Great line.

I can see it now. The player is an evil knight with a sword and the score is the body count.

I think picking the 2600 is a great choice. Definitely retro and it has a very large player base. Probably the biggest of any retro console. I hope you get the game developed. Keep us up to date.

"We got a morgue full of corpses, there's nothing crazier than that!"

Great line.

I can see it now. The player is an evil knight with a sword and the score is the body count.

I think picking the 2600 is a great choice. Definitely retro and it has a very large player base. Probably the biggest of any retro console. I hope you get the game developed. Keep us up to date.

Joe and I are trying to come up with a decent game design. Right now he's digging a 3 mode game: Adventure/Collect/Shooter. May go DPC+ on this though I've managed to crank out some pretty good graphics on standard carts.

post-13304-0-48273600-1360688784_thumb.jpgpost-13304-0-13948700-1340114702_thumb.jpgpost-13304-12855617013_thumb.jpg

On the store here at atariage, you can have the games made. There's a link on the upper right hand corner at the top of the page. You can get your game on a cart for 25.00 each, which even includes a nice label.

Hi yllawwally - Thanks. I saw that in the AtariAge store, and will definitely consider going that route.

If you visited the Facebook page for the film, you probably saw this synopsis:

Someone is going medieval on Marla's friends, brutally killing them one by one. When she tries to tell people what's happening - a cursed medieval knight is on a rampage - no one believes her. She soon learns that she alone possesses the means to end the slaughter - a family heirloom, the Amulet of Thorns. Screenplay by Emilio Iasiello. Directed by Joe Grisaffi.

Plot Outline
The spirit of a cursed medieval knight is accidentally released in present day. The knight must redeem himself by reclaiming his knightly traits to be reunited in eternity with the lover he once betrayed.

I looked at the facebook page. I was just thinking a more detailed synopsis could provide ideas for a game. Maybe a 2 player game where one player is marla, and the other is the knight. Does Marla know that knight is real right away, or does she find clues to prove it. Does the amulet destroy the monster. Does she need to find magic words to make the amulet work. Does the amulet make her shoot fireballs that can kill the knight. Is the movie action, or tension?

Edited by yllawwally

This might help:

Someone is going medieval on Marla's friends, brutally killing them one by one. When she tries to tell people what's happening - a cursed medieval knight is on a rampage - no one believes her.

The knight, whose captive, tortured spirit has been accidentally released in present day, is on a deadly quest. To release his soul, and the soul of the evil Queen Sofia who he onced pledged his loyalty, he must recapture his chivalric traits - Skill at Arms, Courage, Purity, Wisdom, Culture, Honor. Each of his victims represents one of these traits.

Marla possesses a family heirloom, the Amulet of Thorns. As a child, her mother explained to her in a fairy tale that this is a magical amulet and as long as she keeps it close, nothing can ever do her harm.

Once the knight reclaims his traits, he must get the amulet from Marla. In a final confrontation with Marla and her would-be hero boyfriend Jaxson, the knight has a change of heart and destroys himself, and the queen in the process.