IGNORED

Fractals

lucien2

I timed a few Basic programs in Basic and XB and the results were always better in XB.

25 seconds Basic vs 18 seconds XB

35 seconds Basic vs 29 seconds XB

15 seconds Basic vs 11 seconds XB

22 seconds Basic vs 16 seconds XB

So yea using VDP XB is much faster.

Now I can use a trick in RXB to move a program to RAM instead in Classic99 it was easy.

Times are:

45 seconds Basic vs 28 seconds in RXB same prorgam. So RAM is much much faster.

• 6 years later...
On 3/19/2013 at 9:38 PM, lucien2 said:

The next step is to implement the zooming function and save/load the result to a file.

It took me 6 1/2 years to find time and motivation to finish this...
Here it is: Fractals2.zip

You maybe will notice that I used the "Marching Ants" method for the selection rectangle, a tribute to Bill Atkinson.

• Like 16

• 2 years later...

Vorticon asked for Classic99 INI entries, here they are:
[usercart90] 
name="Fractals" 
rom0=C|6000|2000|mods\fractals.c.bin 
rom1=G|6000|A000|mods\fractals.g.bin 
[usercart91] 
name="TIB Multicolor" 
rom0=G|6000|A000|mods\Multicolor Mode.G.bin

You can also use "Cartridge" / "User" / "Open...".

The multicolor cartridge does not show in the cartridge selection screen, but it loads correctly. Select "1 FOR TI BASIC".

Fractals: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/210211-fractals/?do=findComment&comment=4399740
TIB Multicolor: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/210211-fractals/?do=findComment&comment=2721792

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2013 at 7:52 PM, Lee Stewart said:

I don't know the reason many of the XML routines might have been rewritten for XB unless the console XML routines replaced use the CPU RAM PAD or other memory differently from XB and/or return to different locations; but, TI Basic does, in fact, use Assembly in the console ROM for token processing (and many other functions, as well) via XML calls from GPL to ROM. I would expect a speed difference with the use of expansion RAM by XB, but I wonder if that is true when VDP RAM is used for both TI Basic and XB.

...lee

XB has added features for things like DISPLAY in TI Basic only does a PRINT and lacks XB features like DISPLAY AT(10,11):"string"  

Long list of these kinds of features that TI Basic lacks so in XB they had to bypass TI Basic versions as they would crash, thus wrote new ones in GROM/ROM.

Also as locations are slightly different thanks to SPRITES this presented other problems to deal with and why before RXB you could not run all TI BASIC programs in XB.

• Like 2