IGNORED

Intellivision KING OF THE MOUNTAIN

mjarnold7

But its just a homebrew and I like to avoid this kind of profiteering. If the developer of the game sells it I am glad with it, but if just someone lines his pockets I dont like it. I mean serious, buying two or more copies, just planning to sell the overhang twice or treble as much as it costed originally... I wish there were endless waitlists, so that everyone can get the homebrews to a fair price everytime. Its a pitty that so many games just ended up as a quite unused venture.

Maybe I'll buy some recent homebrews if they were ever listened to fair amounts on Ebay, maybe some get the honor of a second run, we'll see. But if every new run causes stuff like that: http://rover.ebay.co...&_dmd=1&_ipg=25

:thumbsdown:

Its really sad that my hobby become that commercial, also in the homebrew-area. Homebrews keep old consoles, like the Intellivision, alive, they are not ment to get people richt just by reselling them

Edited by Ignorama

Its more of a homebrew picked up a mostly but not quite 100% polished game and completed it. If you want to get it, get it directly from them and not from ebay at a terrific markup. Or pick up the original Mattel/INTV version that is playable, just not with 150% of the bells/whistles.

Maybe I'll buy some recent homebrews if they were ever listened to fair amounts on Ebay, maybe some get the honor of a second run, we'll see. But if every new run causes stuff like that: http://rover.ebay.co...&_dmd=1&_ipg=25 :thumbsdown:

Sealed games are an "it is what it is" situation. Some people will pay outrageous prices for anything sealed. The open game was not a typical sell price, the seller's reputation caused some games to sell for incredibly high prices. If an opened game randomly shows up on ebay, the selling price would be a much better indicator.

That being said, Space Patrol is a very good game - and I am addicted to it. I could see a game like that getting higher prices just for the fun gameplay.

I just listed a sealed Space Patrol starting at a penny if anyone is interested in possibly getting one for less than the $150-$180 those others went for. Just to be clear I'm not "that guy" who buys a bunch of homebrew games to resell. I was given the opportunity to be a "distributer" at CGE and bought several of them. I tried to sell them at the last PRGE and I have two left.

Perhaps if the carts were always available all the silly ebay prices would just stop. Totally understand the reasons why not but if they were avail on demand so to speak then everyone would hopefully just order from the homebrew guys and all would be well.

MOQ's on purchased materials can make constant inventory very difficult. If the programmer is working on a small operating budget, it often comes down to either keeping inventory - or putting the cash into new projects. I'm not speaking for any of the programmers, but any business faces these hurdles.

• 7 months later...

So what was fixed or completed in this version? I've toyed around with the original prototype a bit, but I didn't get far into the game.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, is this any different from that rom version that's been floating around for a while? I never got too far in the game, but always thought it was unfinished.

David would have to answer definitively on the upgrades and enhancements, but at the very least I believe that sound effects were added.

I believe that this is an updated, but not final version of the game. See the comments on the video for more info.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaYevyFKzv0

Well, I just hooked-up my Master Component to play my new IntelligentVision games, and King Of The Mountain was first on my list. First my immediate impressions:

• The controllers are buggy and clunky, and suffer from the common unresponsiveness of early EXEC games.
  • The game is nicely done. Sound effects and colours compliment the action and style very well.
  • The manual is not very instructive on how to actually play or switch between screens, but once you get past the initial confusion, it's rather simple.
  • IT'S HARD!!!

I've played already like 7 times in a row and I keep dying. :( I haven't completed even the first mountain. The farthest I've gotten is a bit past the raft, and then I either run out of fire or food, and I die miserably.

I'll keep on playing to see if I can at least accomplish one climb, but part of my frustration is the lack of fluidity of the controls. Most old Intellivision games suffered from the same problems of slow hand-controller response, but when you have fast-pased action (like when a bear is running right at you), getting stuck in a corner sucks the fun out of the game. :(

That said, I'll give it some more time and see if I can get better. Good game, though!

-dZ.

It's strange because sometimes I have a ton of food, and it makes me go slow, but I run out of fire. And other times I sell some of my surplus food to restock my fire, and then a bear hits me twice in a row and I die of hunger. :(

Also, about the black boulders, is there a way to recover while rolling? It seems that if one comes your way, there is no way to get out of its path, and it just rolls you back down the mountain.