IGNORED

Intellivision KING OF THE MOUNTAIN

mjarnold7

4 hours ago, intvdave said:

I just can not stop updating this game :)

Thanks for all the IMs. I will work through them once I finish the game. It is best to complete the game correctly this time than rush it again. Everyday I feel closer to finishing...soon...

Thanks, David.

One word of caution:  Please, as you update the game, make sure to have some restraint in maintaining its character.  I imagine something like Super Pro Chef or Super Pro Tennis, in which the end result is exactly the original game with all the annoying bits fixed, and a few new features that enhance what was there already.  I still liked the original KotM very much, only the balance and the controls needed some tweaking. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Or...change a lot and call it KOTM2.  Full sequel.

Or... Give it the Ms Night Stalker treatment and call it QOTM.

?

Well, that's my point:  As cool as it would be to have a sequel, I still would love to play the original with improved controls.  So it would be a pity to lose that.

-dZ.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JasonlikesINTV said:

Or...change a lot and call it KOTM2.  Full sequel.

Or... Give it the Ms Night Stalker treatment and call it QOTM.

?

I love my Ms Night Stalker and BG Space Battle treatment. The beauty of being able to make changes is that it comes out how I want. I have always said, I do for me and share with my friends. I just hope you all like it.

Regarding the "original" version of KotM. It was a prototype that was more of a demo than a playable game. What I released in 2012 has my touch on it. I am just expanding on it. If you want to play the original games, they are still available. Keep in mind, the original release was full of bugs. I just keep finding more that need to be fixed.

Edited by intvdave
  • Like 3

Two things... after 9 years of originally wanting to do this...I figured out how. KotM has 6 screen which makes climbing the mountain monotonous. I am very close to having the ability to add more screens! This pushes a release out by weeks but it will be worth it.

Second thing... I pulled up Ms Night Stalker and had an idea that the side buttons could be used differently to shoot. How about top side buttons shoot in the direction you are running and bottom side buttons shoot in the opposite direction you are running? The challenge with the side buttons to shoot is that there are only 3 buttons for 4 directions. I am open to ideas.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, intvdave said:

Second thing... I pulled up Ms Night Stalker and had an idea that the side buttons could be used differently to shoot. How about top side buttons shoot in the direction you are running and bottom side buttons shoot in the opposite direction you are running? The challenge with the side buttons to shoot is that there are only 3 buttons for 4 directions. I am open to ideas.

I need to buy this ROM.  I like this idea.  Maybe I'll wait to see if you make the change first.

On 1/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, Cellblock1138 said:

More screens would be very cool! Just got to trying your Spina update and it plays much, much better. BTW you must be psychic, I’m not sure how you knew I needed a Fight for the Cup box...thanks you are a legend.

I am glad we left the original title screen on the 2012 release of KotM. The 2021 release will be a full blown out Intelligentivision release!

The original release had 6 screen:

- Top of the Mountain

- Car/bottom of the mountain

- River

- Hut

- 2 different screens with just walking paths

The 10th level uses 35 screens (will change) and only 4 different screens (will change) to pick from. We now know why the game seems so monotonous. I am hoping to build over 20 new screens (think Super Chef BT and Ms Night Stalker). This will give plenty variety in the game play.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, intvdave said:

I am glad we left the original title screen on the 2012 release of KotM. The 2021 release will be a full blown out Intelligentivision release!

The original release had 6 screen:

- Top of the Mountain

- Car/bottom of the mountain

- River

- Hut

- 2 different screens with just walking paths

The 10th level uses 35 screens (will change) and only 4 different screens (will change) to pick from. We now know why the game seems so monotonous. I am hoping to build over 20 new screens (think Super Chef BT and Ms Night Stalker). This will give plenty variety in the game play.

This is awesome news. I like this game already and this makes me want this upgraded version even more. 

• Like 2

can't wait for an upgraded version!

I want to imagine that the main character is the same of Pitfall!, White Water! and Jungle Hunt:

after a dangerous adventure in the jungle of Amazonas he's come back home for a new challenge on the Appalachians: he heads up to a mountain, avoiding bears, boulders et cetera

And when he reaches the top he meets two friends and they dare the rapids of the raging river going down to the valley.

He obviously makes it home again just to discover his beloved one went to Africa and was taken captive by vicious savages (well, this part on the back of the original Atari 2600 box would be banned in the light of the political correctness of the current times) and it's time to rescue her.

Till your next adventure!

19 minutes ago, intellivotion said:

can't wait for an upgraded version!

I want to imagine that the main character is the same of Pitfall!, White Water! and Jungle Hunt:

after a dangerous adventure in the jungle of Amazonas he's come back home for a new challenge on the Appalachians: he heads up to a mountain, avoiding bears, boulders et cetera

And when he reaches the top he meets two friends and they dare the rapids of the raging river going down to the valley.

He obviously makes it home again just to discover his beloved one went to Africa and was taken captive by vicious savages (well, this part on the back of the original Atari 2600 box would be banned in the light of the political correctness of the current times) and it's time to rescue her.

Till your next adventure!

Sounds a bit like that new cart Fantasy.

• Haha 1

All the code changes should be complete. The 2012 release had 6 screens. This release will have 35! This deserves a name change to....

SUPER PRO KOTM!

Some are speculating a CIB release. This will not happen. My audience is those that purchased the 2012 game and want to upgrade it or are interested in a ROM.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, intvdave said:

All the code changes should be complete. The 2012 release had 6 screens. This release will have 35! This deserves a name change to....

SUPER PRO KOTM!

Some are speculating a CIB release. This will not happen. My audience is those that purchased the 2012 game and want to upgrade it or are interested in a ROM.

Just let us know when to order.  And thank you for all you do.

1 hour ago, 1980gamer said:

In the tradition of the Super Pro games....

Shouldn't it be something like:  EVEREST  Super Pro KOTM   or K2 SP...  Oh.  Thin Air  SP KOTM

How about: K2 of the Mountain

I like the thin air idea. In the 2012 release, the tallest mountain (mountain 10) is 13,600 feet. It will now be 17,200. I like to make the games challenging but do not fret. Mountain 1 originally is 3,600 and this will be 2,800. The levels will be better balanced than before but would you expect less? :)

Back to designing...

• Like 2