IGNORED

Recent Pickup, need help...

Foily

Hi, I am a long time collector of all video game systems, and I recently came across some intellivision stuff. I am a little under the radar when it comes to intellivision, so any info or help would be greatly appreciated. The lot consisted of 30 NIB intellivision games, and one of them was a demo cart. I looked all over and could not find any sold listings. How rare and what is the value of one of these?

2013-03-20_19-51-13_870_zps2fa11609.jpg

2013-03-20_19-51-37_729_zpsf5c7c61a.jpg

2013-03-20_19-52-25_81_zps31957866.jpg

And second is a keyboard and the matching game I recieved a couple of years ago. Value and Rarity would be cool to know.

2013-03-20_20-05-18_571_zpsda66dbe6.jpg

2013-03-20_20-05-35_386_zpsdd848a6f.jpg

Thanks

• 2 years later...

I am in the process of downsizing my collection in the upcoming months. I sold the melodey blaster with keyboard and all the other NIB intellivision games. I still have the NIB Demo cart. Is it an item I should hold on to or sell? Is the going rate still around $150 or is it more now?

I am in the process of downsizing my collection in the upcoming months. I sold the melodey blaster with keyboard and all the other NIB intellivision games. I still have the NIB Demo cart. Is it an item I should hold on to or sell? Is the going rate still around $150 or is it more now?

Oops, just saw your pics..

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

In the end, getting it grade only costs you money that you will not recover. You will get the same price whether it is graded or not, IMO.

As far as I know, no one here pays attention to grading, and there are more experts here than anywhere.

Edited by SoulBuster
  • Like 2

I don't really understand grading but am I correct that you pay for a service that gives you some type of authoritative certificate as to the value?

What would be the point of this and who does it and why? Certainly I don't see Intellivision games getting this treatment. And by what means is the value obtained?

I think we all know what our games are worth.

I believe the bulk of the Intellivision collector community is anti-grading. I can only speak for myself, by I trust my own personal inspection FAR more than an overpriced grading by a third party. It doesn't provide any additional confidence for collectors, and most would-be buyers refuse to pay the premium. Sealed games are enough of a crapshoot, but grading is the worst.

I don't really understand grading but am I correct that you pay for a service that gives you some type of authoritative certificate as to the value?

What would be the point of this and who does it and why? Certainly I don't see Intellivision games getting this treatment. And by what means is the value obtained?

I think we all know what our games are worth.

Grading isn't about finding out what something is worth. It's about coming up with a completely artificial and arbitrary "grade" for an item's condition - basically how undamaged something is. And then forever sealing said item in a locked container so that you can guarantee no further damage can ever happen to it (which is a good amount of horseshit, but that's a whole other topic). In theory the grade helps determine the value of an item for those people that think a microscopic bit of damage should knock 50% off the value of something. And I'm not exaggerating with that figure.

It's infected most collecting hobbies and really just exists to feed speculators and people trying to turn other people's hobby into an "investment". It leads to ridiculous price bubbles and will likely result in a few hobbies seeing prices implode in the coming years. Due to the same mentality I watched 2 decades-old hobbies absolutely explode 20 years ago, and nearly destroy both industries during the downward swings. A hell of a lot of bankruptcies happened because people thought they could retire over ridiculously over-valued garbage.

But I don't really have a strong opinion on the issue. :D

• Like 3

Personally, these are the kinds of things I'd hang on to. They're a lot rarer than any regular game - and just kinda cool. It's not just a piece of garbage that's rare because it didn't sell. These were only used in specific places for specific purposes. Test/Demo carts fascinate me, because the only people who saw them back in the day were "insiders". We ALL had the chance to order shitty low-production games.

I'm always surprised the prices aren't a fair bit higher for these things. Sure, they're usually not "fun" - but I seriously doubt people pay $1000+ because Spiker! is just so amazing to play and there's no other way to experience it beyond the original cart.

• 2 years later...

I still have the Demo cart, and I need a estimate of value for insurance purposes. I have been to a number of local game stores, and have been told a wide range of potential value from $300 to $1200. What is a realistic value? It will be for sale later this year when I get it from storage. Thank you for any help.

I still have the Demo cart, and I need a estimate of value for insurance purposes. I have been to a number of local game stores, and have been told a wide range of potential value from $300 to $1200. What is a realistic value? It will be for sale later this year when I get it from storage. Thank you for any help.

cmart's assessment is as accurate as you'll find anywhere, so $500-600 sounds about right. If someone offered you anywhere near $1200 TAKE IT RIGHT NOW!!!