IGNORED

incognito board preorder #2

candle

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to withdraw my request for 2 boards. After my recent experience installing the Ultimate 1MB, I think I better just stick to soldering/desoldering IC's. Soldering extra wires to pins is definitely not one of my strengths.

Update: I've been convinced by others to give it a try (post #46).

I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to withdraw my request for 2 boards. After my recent experience installing the Ultimate 1MB, I think I better just stick to soldering/desoldering IC's. Soldering extra wires to pins is definitely not one of my strengths.

I've installed a U1MB too and in my opinion the Incognito is much easier from the soldering side, as the soldering points are HUGE, honestly. As long as you are able to identify them (which is quite easy with the pictures in the installation instructions) it shouldn't be a problem. And in case of doubt, wouldn't you find a skilled friend who could help you? You really miss a great extension.

OT: Yesterday I tried Panos OSS 5in1 cartridge with my Incognito 800. Works great. The cartridge is somewhat tight in the slot but at least it fits without use of rough force. Switching between SDX and MAC/65 without losing memory content (of course I have 1MB activated) and saving to any APT partition of the CF card, all that works like a charme. The only disadvantage is, that the cartridge is so high, that I can't close the 800's lid.

And in case of doubt, wouldn't you find a skilled friend who could help you?

+1 to this. If soldering is difficult, better to send the unit off to someone who can do the job than attempt it yourself and then call in a rescue team... If one feels one can't solder period, it makes no difference whether there are four wires or four hundred. I remember destroying the pads on an XT motherboard trying to replace the soldered-in CMOS battery some twenty years ago (long before I learned to solder), in the belief that "it's only two contacts, so how hard can it be?".

Yeah, I seem to be able to solder pins on IC's pretty well. My issue with the Ultimate 1mb was with soldering wires to the pins on the CPU. There must be some trick to it. I eventually cheated and used jumper wires with clips.

I've been convinced though to give the Incognito a try. I will keep my original request for 2 please. The main PCB of an Atari 800 is cheap enough I could get another if I make too many mistakes!

trick is you have to put freshs solder onto pin first, then on the bare wire end, and then heat them up together so they would melt

if you try to solder to dry pin - you won't - there is 20 years of oxidation deposite on it, and it won't stick

Thanks for the tip candle, I may give it another shot and try to install it properly. I was confident installing the Ultimate 1 mb until I got to that part, then it slapped me down a few notches ;)

Try to find some old electronics from the trash that is already destroyed and useless. Use this to exercise soldering. That's really helpful, when you know, you can't destroy anything. :)