IGNORED

Scanning my disks

Hulsie

This may be a silly question, but is there any harm in scanning my 5.25" disks on my flatbed scanner? Will the laser cause any damage to the data?

I'd like to scan some of my commercial disks to contribute to Atarimania, MobyGames, etc.

This may be a silly question, but is there any harm in scanning my 5.25" disks on my flatbed scanner? Will the laser cause any damage to the data?

I'd like to scan some of my commercial disks to contribute to Atarimania, MobyGames, etc.

I don't think any consumer scanners used lasers, the older models used fluorescent light source while the newer ones use LEDs.

The light itself wouldn't damage a floppy but if it was accompanied by a magnetic field, I would think this more likely with a fluorescent light, there may be a risk of affecting the data.

• Like 1

As said no laser involved, just light and sensors.

At worst the steppers used to move the head might give a tiny bit of RF but I doubt there's anything that could cause the slightest bit of harm, Candle or our other tech boffins will know for sure.

I think you are 100% safe and its a good cause..

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, gents!

Heh, I'm not sure why I was under the impression that there were lasers involved.

I'm gonna go ahead and scan 'em. In the rare event that they get messed up somehow, I have backups, and I can always just copy the backups back onto the original disks (I have a Happy Drive so copying protected games isn't a problem).