IGNORED

PCAEWin 2.8

JohnPCAE

Hello,

It's been a long time since I did anything with this emu, but one day I got bored and decided to try to fix a few things. I've posted PCAEWin 2.8 up on a free sharing site for anyone who might be interested. I don't have a website or anything to host it, but hopefully it will be available for at least long enough for people who still use it to download a copy.

It's just a maintenance release, but I'm hoping that any remaining stability bugs are now squashed. There was a bug in the CPU detection code that could have caused a crash. I also upgraded the AVI code so that it will save the sound as well as video.

I started working on a set of comms classes with the intention of rewriting network support from scratch, but honestly I have no idea how to accomplish network play without network lag making it unplayable. There's a comms.pas file included in the source that has the new comms code I wrote, but nothing is using it..Hopefully it will be useful to someone.

I'm up to my eyeballs (and then some) on other projects, so I can't guarantee further support for this, but I'll at least try to check the forums over the next few days to see if there are any major issues.

Regards,

John Dullea

PCAEWin 2.8 Download link:

http://www.filedropper.com/pcaewin28

P.S. Hmm, it looks like I can attach the whole thiing right here, so here goes...

PCAEWin_2.8.zip

• Like 3

This is very cool! I'd very much like to use the video capture feature but none of my batari BASIC games work :(

One game in particular that I'd LOVE to play on your emulator is M.M.S.B.C. II

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/207626-mmsbc-2-done/

The M.M.S.B.C. II logo at the top glitches out. Also, when the ball hits a sprite the game resets.

I'm stepping through the M.M.S.B.C. II title screen code in the PCAE debugger and comparing it with the title kernel source. It looks like the title kernel expects certain LDA Abs, Y instructions to take 5 cycles instead of 4. My understanding is that it should only take 5 cycles if it crosses a page boundary. For example:

$12D0 B984B7 LDA $1784, Y
$12D3 851C   STA GRP1
$12D5 B99CB7 LDA $179C, Y
$12D8 851C   STA GRP1

The kernel seems to think the LDA instructions should take 5 cycles instead of 4, but I don't see why that would be the case as Y is small (10 or less). Can anyone enlighten me?

Regards,

John

P.S. I encountered several bugs in my debugger and will be releasing a version 2.9 at some point, even if I don't fix this issue.

Edited by JohnPCAE

Never mind: that appears to have been a red herring. It looks like there were two issues:

1. My handling of early HMOVEs was just a teensy bit off (2 pixels in the calculation)

2. I wasn't handling the case where a write to a HMxx register should have no effect when it occurs too late.

I have the title screen looking correctly now. Does the game use a special bankswitching scheme, or is it one of the standard ones?

A-ha. There was a bug in handling opcode $6B. Now the game runs. Attached is a new version:

Changes:

1. Updated most toolbar images to 24-bit.

2. Fixed opcode $6B.

3. Changing HMxx won't immediately move an object if the change happens after the HMOVE for the previous value has already completed.

4. Fixed the early-HMOVE calculation.

5. Fixed the debugger so that tracing, stepping over an instruction, etc. won't blank the screen.

6. Fixed the most-recently-used list on the File menu so that games will start correctly.

PCAEWin_2.9.zip

Edited by JohnPCAE

I miss 2 features:

1.) The last Window position/size will be saved.

2.) The possibility to start the emulator with the game screen by using the zoom factor (1x/2x/3x/4x)

It is tedious to adjust always the required window/screen size after a new start if I not use the fullscreen mode.

Edited by AnnaWu

Thanks for the updates! Title screen in MMSBC 2 is working great. Still have a reset when the ball collides with a sprite. This pretty easy to duplicate as the players shots are the ball. Also, maybe the sound buffer needs to be larger or something? It's a bit skippy/raspy. As well, the sound repeats itself when a window event happens such as dragging the program window around.

Please continue this awesome program :)

The text on the status bar is normal. My memory is hazy, but I think that was for hotkeys you could use to start a game with a particular bankswitching setup. It's somewhat obsolete nowadays.

I can't get MMSBC 2 to reset when I shoot something. I set it up as a standard 16k game in the profile settings, and I played it a little bit (just to 114 points or so).

The sound is something of a sore spot with me. I'm not happy with how it's coming out, either. That's going to take some playing around to figure out how to make it better...