IGNORED

HSC10 Round 5: Hard Hat Mack

Stand by for some riveting gameplay and plenty of purile puns no doubt in round 5 of HSC action!

Hard Hat Mack

and

Hard Hat Willy

Mack offers Classic platform action over 3 stages and Willy is a fun game where you erm collect stuff with your head icon_surprised.gif better read the docs for this one icon_biggrinwink.gifPress Space to drop the rivet gun in Mack.

Downloads

Mack Fandal XEXs hi-res or colour versions, Atarimania Instructions, Atarionline.pl XEX/ATR

hard_hat_mack_5.gif

Willy Fandal XEX, Atarimania instructions in the comments, thanks Muffy (it had to be!), Atarionline.pl XEX/ATR

hard_hat_willy_5.gif

Scoring

Scoring and bonus challenges to follow. From memory both are good games, Mack is a little tough. Might make the round a double header icon_surprised.gif

Mack HSC record is 15,700 by vdub_bobby from back in season 2 - is he still around? might send him a nag to defend his record!

Have fun and join in everyone

If you've missed any games Round 6 will be a chance to catch-up on the action icon_smile.gif

Edited by therealbountybob
Round Closes Sun 7th March 10am GMT

Just had a go with me willie & I think its broken.

I got through to the 2nd or 3rd level - whichever 1 it is that the bird 1st carries you off to the left when you catch your hat off it. I got rid of all the eggs and parasites but the game claimed I had almost 10,000 walls to complete. Can I get a refund?

13,850 before I gave up in frustration - I still had 9 willies

New high score for me...and only a few short of the record: 15,205!

post-9712-0-92058400-1364247168_thumb.png

When you get to the second set of boards, only the first round is tougher, with the added enemy. However, it seems that you might have less time to complete the levels. At any rate, I made it to round 6 (and almost finished it) meaning, round 3 the second time.

I got through to the 2nd or 3rd level - whichever 1 it is that the bird 1st carries you off to the left when you catch your hat off it. I got rid of all the eggs and parasites but the game claimed I had almost 10,000 walls to complete. Can I get a refund?

I had that happen once, and why's Pac Man in this game?

And why's Pac Man red?

I had the same problem with the 10,000 walls to complete...not getting this game at all. :(

Looks like Deteacher's got a handle on Willy :-o haven't played yet but there's a ton of stuff on atariamania in the comments (pasted below) seems it's all about the hats, funny eh?! Deteacher/rr - if the stuff below doesn't explain what to do please post something so Mr.Case can make progress :thumbsup:

I think this round is wide open as both game are probably not on people's regular playlists ;)

Hard Hat Willy Info

>>>

Muffy St. Bernard - 08/11/2009

This game is DAMN FUN!

Since there are no rules: You have a tongue that pops out of your head, always upwards. You can only eat green centipedes with your normal tongue, you can crush eggs with a brown hat on your tongue, and you can kill the "woka woka" with the white hard hat. Centipedes can't hurt you but they will knock your hat off, which can be disasterous. The woka woka kills you.

Each level you are given the number of "eggs" and "walls" you need to tackle. Crush the white eggs with your hard hat (which you grab from the bird). The "walls" are scrambled wall sections that are fixed when you walk near them. After all eggs are crushed and walls fixed, the next section starts.

Red things always kill you. During some sections the bird carries you elsewhere; to disengage, touch the white platform. Woka wokas hatch out of uncleared eggs. It is best to kill as many centipedes as you can at first, so they don't steal your hard hat later.

Andrey Sergeev - 03/03/2006

This was one of my favorite games on Atari - it offered many different types of gameplay, with big and interesting world to explore. I never seemed to get tired of it. Great game, with a lot of taste.

Basically, you control a bug-like creature (Willy, apparently) who could use its long lashing tongue to collect the eggs, kill enemies and even use it as a transport - you could stick your tongue to a bird flying by, and get transported to a different place. Based on this premise are varied and imaginative tasks you had to accomplish. The game is mostly about exploration, and to a certain degree - about reflex and skill. A good combination of these two factors made it so fun and satisfying experience.

Highly recommended!

Matt Walsh - 29/03/2004

This was an extremely imaginative and fun game with a great deal of depth. It also got pretty hard. This is the type of game you'd never see released nowadays.

<<<

Think the mono version is the original the others are hacks? Seems a lot of games had this happen - Drol comes to mind, I prefer the Hi-res/mono versions seem more authentic :)

Hi-res is the original, but it was never intended to be monochrome... It relied on artifacting for color, which only works with a composite video connection (or RF) on a CRT. I prefer it as well, except when played with an s-video connection, you lose the color. That's why I'm playing the hacked version. I'll have to take a few minutes and build myself a composite cable!

Made a little improvement to 4550 today.

post-19239-0-18375500-1364335986_thumb.jpg

Edited by adam242

Made it through to the 3rd round 2nd time around but only scored about 6k so no improvement. It doesn't pay score wise to go through the levels without losing a life and then lose all three on one level as you won't pick up much in the way of bonus's which is exactly what I did.