IGNORED

Airball... never released, but reviewed. Anyone know any details?

gorfcadet

Yes, agreed. I own the arcade machines of Mat Mania and Mania Challenge. It's too bad that the 7800 combo of both is virtually unplayable. They are great arcade games. I was so excited when I was a kid and found a catalog to order Mat Mania Challenge out of, and upon getting it in the mail, and putting it into the machine, just utterly disappointed. No belt mode, all you can do is punch and kick against the computer, the characters get right up after falling down therefore making the top rope option useless, only the 2 identical looking characters, just f-ing horrible. I'm still pissed. That's why I was hoping Atari Team Wrestling was a different project, that someone will dig up. Because there is no tag team option on Mat Mania Challenge. And Title Match Pro Wrestling is a turd too. I wish there was a port of the old wrestling game "The Main Event". Love the wrestling games, none will ever get better than No Mercy on the N64. All of Acclaim's efforts for any system are all garbage.

• 2 years later...

I will check my folders and see what I can find out, but I have found all of the 7800 games that were on the workstations and were recovered, but you never know, there are still a few boxes of backup DAT and 8MM workstation tapes that I haven't gotten to reading, so... but I've got a lot of other things on my plate that need attention first.

So, I thought I'd bump this old thread. Because, if there's a chance for unreleased 7800 games, why not?

Airball XE is still really hard ...

• Like 1

And what's the backstory on this? Was it a coincidence that both Atari Corp and Atari Games/Tengen were both hot and bothered over this property or were they working in tandem on it? If they were working in tandem then it would've been one of the first projects they collaborated on which didn't really bear fruit until after the Lynx debuted. Where's the Lynx version? And why even focus on this when Atari Games had Marble Madness in their library?

I don't remember this on the ST nor anyone making a positive fuss about it. Looks like someone was inspired by "Rover" from The Prisoner and decided to make it the protagonist and set it into a fantasy world. Looking at the movements, it would appear to be frustrating with any controller - joystick, Trak-Ball, mouse, etc - aside from a keyboard.

Still, it's apparently a lost 7800 game so I gotta respect it unless it sucks as badly as Mat Mania Challenge. What a disgrace to the original licensed title(s). As I said before, I regret writing to Atari Corp so many times asking them to license those arcade games…I loved the arcade originals so much.

And what's the backstory on this? Was it a coincidence that both Atari Corp and Atari Games/Tengen were both hot and bothered over this property or were they working in tandem on it? If they were working in tandem then it would've been one of the first projects they collaborated on which didn't really bear fruit until after the Lynx debuted. Where's the Lynx version? And why even focus on this when Atari Games had Marble Madness in their library?

I don't remember this on the ST nor anyone making a positive fuss about it. Looks like someone was inspired by "Rover" from The Prisoner and decided to make it the protagonist and set it into a fantasy world. Looking at the movements, it would appear to be frustrating with any controller - joystick, Trak-Ball, mouse, etc - aside from a keyboard.

Still, it's apparently a lost 7800 game so I gotta respect it unless it sucks as badly as Mat Mania Challenge. What a disgrace to the original licensed title(s). As I said before, I regret writing to Atari Corp so many times asking them to license those arcade games…I loved the arcade originals so much.

Airball was a pretty big seller for us on the ST.