IGNORED

Incognito CF Work in SIDE ?

Frankie

Assuming I did my incognito install correctly, should a Compact Flash disk that I use in Side work in Incognito?

I'm having some trouble actually getting it (Incognito) to read disks. Well, the SIDE loader works and reads the Win32 partition, but when using FDISK on SDX it's says read error.

Frank

Yes, the media should be completely interchangeable. There was a bug in the Incognito firmware (now corrected in the latest builds) which prevented the APT partitions from being mounted if there was no MBR on the disk, but I wouldn't say that's related to read errors in FDISK. Quite simply, FDISK will only report "read error" when the sector transfer has failed, despite retries. First things to check are:

1) Is SIDE hardware enabled in the BIOS?

2) Try a different card

Yes, the media should be completely interchangeable. There was a bug in the Incognito firmware (now corrected in the latest builds) which prevented the APT partitions from being mounted if there was no MBR on the disk, but I wouldn't say that's related to read errors in FDISK. Quite simply, FDISK will only report "read error" when the sector transfer has failed, despite retries. First things to check are:

1) Is SIDE hardware enabled in the BIOS?

2) Try a different card

Thank you, I had to enable SIDE in the BIOS.

That seems counter intuitive. I need to enable SIDE to use the internal CF card? I assumed I enabled SIDE only when I plugged in a SIDE cart.

Anyway, it works well.

Frank

That seems counter intuitive. I need to enable SIDE to use the internal CF card? I assumed I enabled SIDE only when I plugged in a SIDE cart.

To be exact it´s called "SIDE hardware". And while SIDE contains IDE it sounds logical to me, that I have to enable the IDE hardware to get access to an IDE device such as a CF card connected via IDE. One could say, just call it "IDE hardware" but that then hides the fact that the Incognito IDE-interface is fully SIDE compatible.

Give me one more week, than I can continue the work on my manual for the Incognito. I´ve started it, but I have an extremely important deadline this week and will be drunk all the Easter weekend when I hit it in time.

I don't follow. SIDE is a cartridge. I'm not using it. I would call it, 'Enable this or your CF won't work' .... :-)

What reason would someone have to actually turn it off?

The Incognito will work with a SCSI drive also if you connect a 50 pin cable to the SCSI header and route the cable to a SCSI interface like the IDE PLUS 2 or an MIO...

So then you would probably want to disable the SIDE functions.

SIDE - IIRC - is an acronym meaning "Simple IDE" or some such. The fact there's a ROM and RTC on the SIDE cartridge is a convenience - Ultimate 1MB and Incognito already having same built in. The hard disk interface is the bit of the Incognito you plug the Compact Flash card into. It looks much the same as the Compact Flash slot on the cartridge. Enabling SIDE Hardware enables the internal PBI hard disk in Incognito, as it does with Ultimate 1MB coupled with an external hard disk interface (on the SIDE cartridge).

If these assimilations cannot be easily made, a manual won't help, I fear. :D

And yes - what Roy said also.