IGNORED

New 2600 Homebrews - Heartbreak | Fix-It Felix Sr. | Joy Ride

Cybearg

Thanks. That's what I assumed, just wanted to see if you had anything else to suggest. :)

Take opportunities when they arise. You can move in four different directions, so sometimes there'll be times when you see an opening. Grab move forward and grab them when you can.

Cybearg, I'm making my first AtariAge post to tell you that Heartbreak is a tremendous game. I've had a chance to play Fixit Felix briefly and like it, too, but Heartbreak really seems like one of those games, you know? I've been seeing some of your travails over the last while and am thankful that you've stuck them out. Great fun!

Edited by MAC-42

I really like Fix-it-Felix Sr. When the movie preview first came out, I wondered how such a game would work and if it could actually be any fun. Even after seeing the movie I had my doubts, but this rendition definitely proved that it could not only be a fun game, but be done well on the 2600.

Graphically, it's pretty limited and could look much better with newer bB features, but the gameplay is solid. I thought the way you worked in the broken windows was very clever (the red/green reading at the bottom).

Great job on this one and the other two games as well.

What are you trying to do in Heartbreak again? I'm lost. :?

There's a fairly detailed "How To Play" section at the beginning of this post. At its core, though, you break blocks like Breakout, but by matching colors and moving the blocks instead of the paddle.

Played more Fix It Felix over the weekend. This is one amazing game! If there was any way to get it on a cart (licensing-wise) it would be a big seller. Seriously it is fantastic.

You'd have to ask Al. The fact that I called it Fix-It Felix Sr. and put it on the 2600 could possibly qualify as parody, protecting it under Fair Use, but if it not, I could always change the name to something else and then there would be nothing for anyone to complain about (since you can't really copyright gameplay mechanics), but I'm aware that a lot of the charm is that it's Fix-It Felix, on the 2600, so changing the name may put some players off.

Just look at the download statistics on the first page. Fix-It Felix has more downloads by far, in no small part due to the draw of a familiar name. People like remakes, demakes, and references to things they know more than they typically like new things, so I don't know how a name change would affect things.

And to everyone else I didn't directly reply to, thank you much for the encouragement and compliments! It's greatly appreciated.

It's true that this could look better using DPC+, in fact I initially was intending to go that direction, but I went this way instead in part due to DPC+ cartridges being more expensive and complicated to produce. Heartbreak, Fix-It Felix Sr., and Joy Ride don't need any hardware that isn't already native to your typical 2600 cartridge, which means they should be faster and easier to produce in real cartridges.

• 2 weeks later...

post-24145-0-81832500-1366254618_thumb.jpg

Woohoo, 9,000 in Joyride. Still gotta work to beat 13,500 though lol.

I've pretty much decided that this is my favorite of the lot. It is super addictive and every time I die, I just want to start all over again. Really hope you're able to get this one on a cart. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I was originally alternating between blue and green but lately I've taken to red since it is slightly slower than green. I have a bad habit of going to far up on the red lane though and since purple is almost impossible to react to, I tend to die. I've played enough now to realize some games are purely luck of the draw. I've had games with no power ups and long stretches of crap in the blue lane and then I've had games that hand the power ups out like candy and have nothing going on in the blue lane. I love that element of randomness as it makes each game fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So did felix ever make it to cart? If its "under the radar" please PM me. I own the genesis one and would love the atari ome also ;)

It is going to be on the compilation cart, "Piñata."

In the AtariAge store any day now!

Although Cybearg had to rename it.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...