IGNORED

Possibility of Undiscovered 2600 Games?

TheAtarianGuy

I would say the likelihood that we'll come up with more titles is extremely high. History has proven that.

The system was enormously popular. I'm sure hundreds had the idea to program and produce their own games. Sadly, most will have been lost, but there should be enough to see a few new titles pop up every or two.

• 5 months later...

Do I have the wrong impression about this, or are there not as many serious collectors of VCS gear overseas as in North America? I've kinda developed this impression from the prices on PAL carts.

I imagine there are some obscure games that were only released overseas that haven't been catalogged yet.

The Atari 2600 was far from being the "video game reference" in Europe that it was in the USA.

Many reasons : Atari made not much ads to sell their systems; in most country, they were just allowing some obscure companies to use their brand to sell their products (this is also the reason why the Atari 8 bits line didn't get much success while the C64 and Amstrad CPC that came years after did so well); it came 3 years after the US version; the Videopac/O² was already here and got a stronger foothold than in the USA. And the VCS forte, the arcade adaptations, well Atari didn't or couldn't secure the right in Europe so they had only their Atari licences as exclusives. I mean, even the Arcadia 2001 clones were allowed to sell the arcade ports Emerson made.

So today, amongts European retrogamers, you'll hardly find hardcore Atari fans. And most of them despise hack and weird unlicenced/unknow games.

Edited by CatPix

Figures for each country are hard to gather, but the C64 was one of the "big three" in Europe, the two others being the Amstrad CPC and the ZX Spectrum. At least in the 8 bits era.

The Atari 8 bits wasn't unknow, but the lack of communication and distribution didn't helped. Atari missed many opportunies in the computer market.

I'd be happier if they found a warehouse of known games. Like a few crates of Activision carts with peeling labels (hence weaker glue) that could be sold.

Best Electronics is still slowly opening crates of stuff from their warehouses but who knows if they'll find anything new. They've already cleaned out R&D as far as I know.