IGNORED

Armor Attack 7800

PacManPlus

I'm still getting that issue. I think it has something to do with pressing the second button when the menu is on screen. It's still pretty random though. A couple of times it happened when I was holding down the second button at the end of the game and absent mindedly kept my thumb on the button. The game restarted itself without me ever hitting the fire button. However, I also tried to test that situation and it still hardly ever happened.

I'm still having trouble getting this to happen even once. :( I'm still trying though... Is anyone else able to see this issue?

Another weird thing that happens in the menu is if I hold down the second button long enough it shows one of the mazes for half a second and then goes back to the menu. I kind of wonder if the control map switching issue has something to do with that. I thought maybe that happens and then it thinks the fire button has been hit so it starts a game sometimes. Not sure though because I held the second button long enough to get the maze on screen and hit the fire button but it didn't do anything.

That one is supposed to be that way. If it's in 'Attract Mode', hitting either button brings you back to the options screen (If you're not already on it). However, the first fire button is the only one that is checked (while on the options screen) to start a game.

Well, this game is definately just about ready for prime time. I just had a few thoughts on it for completion...

1) Making the jeeps bigger. I know this may change the gameplay somewhat, but they're so tiny that it's hard to see which way you're facing. This is sadly an issue with going from Vector graphics to raster graphics. 1 or 2 pixels in each direction should suffice, though.

2) Game music. Just need a 'start the game' tune, and a small tune upon clearing a level. Nothing that would require an XM or anything, just something simple and brief. (Like the music from the 2600 version of Battlezone).

3) A couple more enemy tank types... this would be slightly harder, but would help with the game play progression. My thoughts would be a 'MIRV launcher' tank, which fires three shots in a cone, and maybe a flak-thrower which has a 'lingering' explosion once fired. Not a priority, but something that would help round out the game as levels increase.

Look forward to this one wrapping up, it's another 'very spiffy' game from the best damn 7800 programmer out there.

Thanks, guys :)

@Jaynz - I can see about 1 and 2 (may need PAC-MAN-RED for #1). With #3, as far as difficulty ramping, once you get far enough in the game, the tanks move quite fast, and the turrets follow you instantly. They also shoot more frequently, and there is an addition of a second helicopter. It gets pretty tough. I can't even get that far without cheating.

:)

Still trying to duplicate the button issue :(

Bob

Well, if you WERE to implement new tank types, you could slow down the speed progression per level. Again, a suggestion, not a requirement, and only worth if it isn't a lot more trouble to code. I would hate to suggest something that would add too much time for this puppy's release. :) It just gets a little more interesting in a game to see new enemies show up rather than just the same ones getting more powerful.

As for the button issue.. maybe have both 1 &2 function identically on the options menu?

Hi Guys!

@Jaynz - Thanks for the info, but I'm trying to keep this in the same spirit of the original if they would have made a sequel. I think with the addition of the 2nd copter much later on in the game gives it that 'new enemy' smell ;)

Here is another release:

- Jeep graphics changed, thanks to PAC-MAN-RED - I like these much better!

- Fixed a bug where the copter / tanks would shoot once, and then not shoot again for a *long* time.

- Hopefully fixed the issue with the buttons that HammR25 reported. I now check at the beginning of every game for the one-button / two-button controller.

- Fixed copyright year

RC5 Attached

ArmorAtk.A78

ARMORATK.bin

• Like 1

AWESOME UPDATE. Having the new JEEP graphics - it's looking like a HUMMER now...Which is military and would explain the size increase and change in tank Vs. vehicle proportions.

Since this is a sequel of the original....Maybe it can be referenced as such in this game :ponder:

I like the updated jeep. It now looks more like a jeep. The game plays great and is a worthy successor to Armor Attack. I still would like to hear the morse code like in the original game as a homage. It seems like it could be easy. The original morse code actually said something. You could have your own morse code easter egg.

Chuck

Very good update... some pretty-much final thoughts.

1) "Game Over" and "Level Cleared" tunes. Again, nothing major, just something to highlight the events audibly.

2) Visual interpretation of men level and level cleared. The former should just show a jeep xX graphic or something. The latter as little flags ala Galaga?

Really, that's about it - short of adding new vehicles. Game's pretty near 'polish level' as it is, though. Very well done!

Thanks guys! :) I appreciate the feedback and the kind words.

I acutally disagree about the 'Game Over' tune :( - although I'll see about adding a short 'start game' tune.

There is a visual interpretation of the number of jeeps (the single digit number next to each player's score).

I only have one line with 20 characters to work with. Two 6-digit scores, two spaces, two single digit life counters = 16 out of 20 positions. If I were to add a level counter there would be two more spaces, which leaves a single digit for the level counter. I don't want to change to 320 mode or cut the characters in half (4x8 instead of 8x8) as to me it's harder to read and it doesn't match the arcade game. Nothing really left unless I add the level number inside the 'LEVEL COMPLETE' message... which might be a good idea

Thanks,

Bob

• Like 1

I played some last night and everything worked fine until I intentionally tried to make the controls bug out in the menu. It still randomly switched me to the one button configuration when I was intentionally mashing the 2nd button over and over. This is not what a person would normally do while playing. I bought a second 7800 awhile ago that I've never bothered hooking up to anything. Cellphone Shack is on the way home from work so I'll pick up one of their phono to F Jack adapters and hook it up tonight to see if I can duplicate the issue with that 7800. I already know it happens with two separate 3rd party modded 2 button controllers. Now I'll try to eliminate the console out of the loop.

Oh and nice jeep. It was kinda weird not seeing the exclamation mark as my jeep.

Hi Guys:

Jaynz / KevinMos3 / Trebor / PAC-MAN-RED: Each of you have given me suggestions for the game either here or in PM that I have considered, and ended up not using. I hope you don't mind, it's just that this game was to be a short diversion from figuring out what I am going to do about sound for Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, and the game at this point is actually where I wanted it. I do listen to every suggestion to make the game better and I may or may not use them all based on my vision of it. All suggestions, as always, are welcomed and are great ideas. :)

That being said, I have added the level number to the 'level complete' message.

Not posting a bin yet until I get the short tune in for the beginning of the level. ;)

Thanks, guys

Bob

@HammR25: Damn. When you say the 2nd button - is it the Thrust button or the Fire button? I just want to make sure we are on the same page. ;) (thank you)

• Like 1

Hi Guys:

Jaynz / KevinMos3 / Trebor / PAC-MAN-RED: Each of you have given me suggestions for the game either here or in PM that I have considered, and ended up not using. I hope you don't mind

Bob,

Your professionalism, friendliness, and generosity has to be some of the greatest I've ever seen or encountered anywhere. "Don't mind"? Lol...It is your baby, and your magic that you work for these amazing and wonderful games. You know what is best.

Like elbows and 'you know what', everyone has one. At the end of the day, it is (as always) a masterpiece - More so, it is *your* masterpiece. You include and exclude what you see fit. I'm just overwhelmingly appreciative that you are a part of this community and share your talents and amazing games with us. The fact that you even consider or listen to suggestions and apply as you see fit is wonderful in and of itself. *THANK YOU*

Cannot wait to purchase this on cart!

• Like 3

I did more testing with the other 7800 and and couldn't duplicate the control issue in the time I tested. I also went back and tested on the original console some and couldn't get it to happen there either. I really don't think it's something to worry about especially since it was random to begin with.

Thanks HammR25 :) I'm going to let it go at this point... I appreciate you testing it for me.

...and thanks again guys - Here is RC6

- Level number indicated when the level is cleared: i.e. "LEVEL 1 CLEARED"

- Quick, small starting tune added

- Quick, small level end tune added

Thanks,

Bob

ArmorAtk.A78

ARMORATK.bin

• Like 1

I can't remember if I said it earlier but this game is awesome. I love the fact that the enemy tanks can take friendly fire. That makes the game a little more "realistic". Oh and I hate that chopper pilot. That jerk makes sure I don't camp and snipe his tanker friends. The A.I. logic for the chopper seems great. If you camp you're dead. If you move around he has a lot more trouble getting you.

• Like 1