IGNORED

How much for a complete Intellivision collection (games only) ?

scalpel

I think there are more people collecting Intellivision now than in 2013.

Funny to see in 2013 my collection was not complete (I mean CIB 125)

Actually, price depends a lot of the shape of the box, cart, instruction, overlay. You could have a River Raid for $25 if it's in very bad condition but may be must pay more than $100 in great condition.

I see opposing forces battling it out.

Prices falling:

There are continually fewer and fewer 'nostalgic' collectors who owned Intellivision as kids/teens. Newer collectors are less likely to choose Intellivision over platforms like N64. Also, supply gradually depletes and condition gradually declines.

Prices climbing:

Collecting is huge now and priceguides, Craigslist, eBay, forums, YouTube, Facebook, etc make collecting easier than ever. A deluge of new collectors only needs a small percentage interested in Intellivision to make waves in our community.

The effect from homebrews could go either way. More games is good for selective gamers, but can be frustrating for completists. I suspect the homebrew flood will draw in more than it turns away.

Lastly, I believe the demise of higher Intellivision pricing will depend on if the broader retro gaming bubble (collectors/gamers/resellers) ever bursts :ponder:

• 1 year later...

I was looking at the 25K NES collection on ebay.

Over the last 5 years I saw an increase in intellivision price.

What do you think?

Value of a CIB collection = 15K !!!

I feel like prices have dropped in the last 2 years. I bet you could build a budget 125 with mediocre boxes for $5k. $15k would get you a pretty mint 125 and some hardware in my opinion, especially if you were patient and spent a few years on it.

• Like 1

I feel like prices have dropped in the last 2 years. I bet you could build a budget 125 with mediocre boxes for $5k. $15k would get you a pretty mint 125 and some hardware in my opinion, especially if you were patient and spent a few years on it.

Most of the boxes in that 125 wouldn't even have to be mediocre. All the Mattel and most of the Coleco, Imagic, etc. can be had near mint or sealed for less than $20 each if you're willing to put in the time. A big part of me wishes I had gone the cart only route since I could have actually done the 125 to completion that way. But once I started collecting and saw the first boxed games I received up on my shelf it was all over for that idea :)

Since I tend to buy up lots to find the items I like and resell the extras I tend to build up a large extra stock and then purge back down to none on a regular cycle. About two years ago I decided to build up a "second collection" just to see how quickly I could duplicate my personal one. In that time I have built a second CIB stash of 105 individual games with 10 loose titles. If you subtract the extras I had to accumulate and then sold off in that time the total came to less than $1000. Granted the rarest CIB games in that extra set are titles like White Water, Worm Whomper, Hover Force and Slam Dunk but all of them are in collectible condition. The number should actually be higher but titles like World Series MLB, SP Decathlon and Mountain Madness I had to sell off individually to pay bills. Otherwise they would count towards the total as well.

So I learned that until you get down to the last 10 titles or so the only real expense involved is time because if you spread out the $700-800 it took to acquire those games across 2 years it really isn't much at all.

Eventually I'll just put that second set on eBay so someone can buy an instant collection but it was a fun experiment that didn't take any additional time I wasn't already spending on my hobby to begin with.

• Like 1

some $150 and a deep search ;)

i guess it all depends on what you like.

unlike my vinyls roms don't have to stay in a box in my very own opinion, they even wouldn't need the plastic shell they are in, the will work as well.

of coiurse it's nice to have a collection of whatever, else i wouldn't have collected vinyls.

but well let me accumulate the needed space, i live in a small cabin ('pon da hill) one box is? 125 are how many cubic meters? damned i guess i wouldn't have the space to store them.

shelf? which shelf goddammit!

i have two shelfes in my room and one is filled to the rim with a few books (only very important books like comics), some tools, parts and stuff.

a second one but this is occupied with the vinyls and CDs, tools, parts and stuff (as well) and a record player.

then i have a "built in" ment for clothes, but stored in it are...

...parts and stuff (what else) and some 12 intellivision boxes.

ah yes and a broom chamber, filled with...

...no, wires, wires, wires, some boxes for my hardware and old hardware.

space to live i have some 6x2m, a (flush)toilet (wow!), a bathtub and a cooking plate and a small fridge, a bed that's it.

(i guess a prisoner has more space to live, but at least i'm free)

i alread don't know where to put the record player because the wooden floor is tiltet much and space on my desk i haven't, not even to place my miggy else the inty has to leave, and what about my snes?. where to put the multisync tube and my a4000? at least i preserved them

i guess i need a desk with two or three floors to put all on it and a hydraulic chair to reach the floors :)

so where to stuff 125 boxes?!

it's really not easy to be a forever gamer

but it's a lot of fun!

Edited by Gernot

Most of the boxes in that 125 wouldn't even have to be mediocre. All the Mattel and most of the Coleco, Imagic, etc. can be had near mint or sealed for less than $20 each if you're willing to put in the time. A big part of me wishes I had gone the cart only route since I could have actually done the 125 to completion that way. But once I started collecting and saw the first boxed games I received up on my shelf it was all over for that idea :)

Since I tend to buy up lots to find the items I like and resell the extras I tend to build up a large extra stock and then purge back down to none on a regular cycle. About two years ago I decided to build up a "second collection" just to see how quickly I could duplicate my personal one. In that time I have built a second CIB stash of 105 individual games with 10 loose titles. If you subtract the extras I had to accumulate and then sold off in that time the total came to less than $1000. Granted the rarest CIB games in that extra set are titles like White Water, Worm Whomper, Hover Force and Slam Dunk but all of them are in collectible condition. The number should actually be higher but titles like World Series MLB, SP Decathlon and Mountain Madness I had to sell off individually to pay bills. Otherwise they would count towards the total as well.

So I learned that until you get down to the last 10 titles or so the only real expense involved is time because if you spread out the $700-800 it took to acquire those games across 2 years it really isn't much at all.

Eventually I'll just put that second set on eBay so someone can buy an instant collection but it was a fun experiment that didn't take any additional time I wasn't already spending on my hobby to begin with.

With buying lots and setting extras, you could get a set pretty cheap for sure. I crunched some numbers a while back for fun and came up with this. Assuming you spend a year (maybe two) and don't sell any duplicates:

$1500 budget 125 (cart only; inc $500 loose Spiker)

$3850 budget 125 (CIB; inc $850 Spiker)

$5-8k decent 125 (CIB; inc $1500 Spiker)

$8k would get you a lot of sealed/mint games.

Through many years of upgrading and being unable to pass on some good deals, I also somehow acquired a mostly complete second collection. I haven't counted in a while, but I think it's over 115 CIB and probably 123 if I include loose carts.

Through many years of upgrading and being unable to pass on some good deals, I also somehow acquired a mostly complete second collection. I haven't counted in a while, but I think it's over 115 CIB and probably 123 if I include loose carts.

While I have to sell my second collection I'm hoping to buy Learning Fun I or II from the sale's profits. Likely I since II barely exists, lol

While I have to sell my second collection I'm hoping to buy Learning Fun I or II from the sale's profits. Likely I since II barely exists, lol

That was my original plan for obtaining 4-Tris from homebrew duplicates, though through trades. Little did I know that those with a spare 4-Tris likely already have all the homebrews. Maybe I'll just sell some and just outright buy the next $400 4-Tris :lol:

• Like 1

I would guess I've seen maybe 25-30 copies in the last 15-20 years of collecting.

Hey cmart, since you're here, I wanted to ask you. What do you value a CIB spiker? Right now there's a manual and cart going for 1100, everyone in the ebay thread said that is too much, but they are also saying CIB is less than 1100, one guy said CIB for 450.

I always thought a loose cart was 500 easy, but I'm still pretty new.

Thoughts?

Hey cmart, since you're here, I wanted to ask you. What do you value a CIB spiker? Right now there's a manual and cart going for 1100, everyone in the ebay thread said that is too much, but they are also saying CIB is less than 1100, one guy said CIB for 450.

I always thought a loose cart was 500 easy, but I'm still pretty new.

Thoughts?

I think its important to distinguish between a mispriced BIN and/or an uninformed seller versus a normal ebay auction. I would say if you could get a loose Spiker cart for $300 or thereabouts that I would grab that in a second but weve certainly seen loose carts go in the $500 range for the last few years. As for CIB, I will buy any and all Spikers at $450. :) I think if you could get a Spiker CIB in really nice condition for below $1000 then you have done well.

In the past 1.5 years, 4 CIB Spikers have sold that I know of and they went for $700 to $1000. However, prior to that time, Spiker CIB typically went for $1126 to $1855.

A loose Spiker typically sells in $525 to $778 range.

I have observed the same range myself. The market seems to flux quite a bit from year to year.

I will say this though, if anyone has a CIB Spiker for $700 I would buy that today regardless of what I had to sell off afterword to do it.

Edited by the1hatman

In the past 1.5 years, 4 CIB Spikers have sold that I know of and they went for $700 to $1000. However, prior to that time, Spiker CIB typically went for $1126 to $1855.

A loose Spiker typically sells in $525 to $778 range.

This. I feel like the loose ones have been going for too much relative to the CIB ones. If I needed Spiker I would probably rather wait it out looking for a sub $1000 CIB than buy a loose one in the $700 range. Not to rub it in but I do remember agonizing a bit over buying my sealed in bag Spiker for $90 many years ago. Haha. My CIB copies were a lot more than that though. ?

• Like 1