IGNORED

New Baseball game for the TI-99/4a

Opry99er

Thanks guys... I appreciate the further explanation. =)

@sometimes99er: You a baseball guy? I know some places in the world, the game hasn't really become a national pastime...

@Tursi: It's been quite a while since I've tried, but I'm assuming that with all the great updates to Classic99, I can now use the ToD editor, read and write functionalities? =)

Hmmm... it's a cousin of baseball for sure... I would say it is probably more like Townball than baseball, but still in the same family of games.

It really is a marvelous game, baseball... To truly experience it you must go to a ballfield and enjoy a beverage or common ballfield food-fare and take in the sights, sounds, and smells... A very wonderfiul game...

Hey, thanks Howie!!! =)

Glad to see you're still here, man. It's most definitely a blessing to see all of my friends still active and rockin! So many excellent things have transpired since I went to live in Tennessee!!! The SIDcard, falcon's XB compiler, games galore... I have an incredible amount of catching up to do!!! But first... baseball.....

Need to carry a flag for each of the bases, but it won't be a simple T/F flag... it must also carry the name and information of the specific player who is on that base. Each at-bat will be recorded for each player.

This one's proving a little trickier than the easy stuff I've done so far on this project... give me some time though... I'll get it done. =)

@Tursi: It's been quite a while since I've tried, but I'm assuming that with all the great updates to Classic99, I can now use the ToD editor, read and write functionalities? =)

Nope, probably not! :) Still can't write to disk images, and I suspect that was the problem in the past. Sector writes work, though, TI Forth needed that.

I think there is some floating around. At one point we were looking pretty hard into the ToD Editor and the origins... A couple years ago I could have told you who wrote it, when it was written, why, and using what hardware. Now....... I'd like to get the editor to work in emulation, but as of now I can only run it on hardware.

Codex once hacked all the hex code and could do some editing that way, but I don't think we ever found any way to run the Editor in emulation.

Maybe PC99 or Mess could run it... But I use Classic99 exclusively

You can't use the FIAD mode on Classic99?

...lee

Unfortunately no... at least I couldnt a couple years ago... something about how the editor writes to the disk. HOWEVER... Now that sector writes are supported, that may solve the issues. I don't know when sector writes were implemented into Classic99.

Unfortunately no... at least I couldnt a couple years ago... something about how the editor writes to the disk. HOWEVER... Now that sector writes are supported, that may solve the issues. I don't know when sector writes were implemented into Classic99.

I was the one pushing him to do sector writes. He implemented them in mid-January here.

...lee

So the base running engine is proving to be a bit more difficult than I had originally anticipated. Here's the general logic...

8 different base running scenarios:

1) nobody on base

2) man on first

3) man on second

4) man on third

5) men on first and second

6) men on second and third

7) men on first and third

8 ) bases loadad

5 scenarios at the plate (if there is success)

1) walk

2) single

3) double

4) triple

5) home run

6 scenarios at the plate (if there is no success)

1) strike out

2) ground out (all runners advance)

3) ground out (runners advance if forced)

4) ground out (double play if 1st base is occupied and there are less than 2 outs)

5) shallow fly-out (all runners hold)

6) deep fly out (runners on 2nd and 3rd base advance)

Now, the program is already tracking who is up to bat and how many outs have been recorded. For each at bat, the roll of the two dice determines success or failure and then what is supposed to happen to the batter at the plate. All this is already in place and operational. It's what happens after that that is the kicker. Once a player is on base, how do we track him, what do we do when another hitter has an at bat and it affects the base-runner's status and position on the base path...

Yea, it's a bit more complex than I'd though. =)

But that's okay! It's all part of the fun!

Edited by Opry99er

One method I'd considered was handling the code in this way.

First of all, the flags for if a player is on a particular base are

BFLG (flag for "player on first")
BBFLG (flag for "player on second")
BBBFLG (flag for "player on third")

Second, the string variables which contain a player's name are as follows (it's redundant, actually, and pretty self-explanatory)

B$=player's name who's on first
BB$=player's name who's on second
BBB$=player's name who's on third
BAP$=player's name who is at the plate (BAP stands for "batter at plate")

This is if the plate appearance is a success and the roll is a "single".

390 PRINT "SINGLE" :: IF BFLG=1 THEN BBFLG=1 :: BB$=B$ :: BAP$=B$ :: RETURN

What this does is checks if a player is on first base (BFLG=1 or "true"). If so, then it changes the BBFLG to 1 (which means that the runner on first goes to second).

Secondarily, it takes the name of the player on first and puts that player's name into the "name" slot for second base. (BB$=B$)

Thirdly, it takes the player who just got the hit and puts his name at first base. (BAP$=B$)

Now I need to figure out how to handle players on second and third... If I set BB$ to B$ and there's already a player on second, then that player's info gets lost and he can't be sent to third base. The other alternative is to do it all in reverse, but that only takes into account sequential base runners... If there's a player on first and third, it changes the dynamic entirely.

***So as you can see, there's a TON of stuff to take into consideration for a simple base-running engine. =)

Current code (commented) without base running engine. This will serve as a reference point during development.

REM THESE LINES SET UP INITIAL VARIABLES. EACH BASE HAS A FLAG AND PLAYER NAME ASSOCIATED WITH IT

100 BAP=0 :: INN=1 :: OUT=0 :: BFLG=0 :: BP$=" " :: BBFLG=0 ::BBP$=" " :: BBBFLG=0 :: BBBP$=" "
110 RANDOMIZE
120 REM BASEBALL SIM

REM THESE ARE THE STRING VARIABLES CARRYING THE PLAYERS' NAMES WITH THEM

130 P$="W. JOHNSON"
140 C$="J. BENCH"
150 B$="L. GEHRIG"
160 BB$="R. HORNSBY"
170 BBB$="E. MATHEWS"
180 SS$="H. WAGNER"
190 LF$="T. WILLIAMS"
200 CF$="J. DIMAGGIO"
210 RF$="B. RUTH"

220 CALL CLEAR
230 DISPLAY AT(8,:"DICE BASEBALL";

REM OFFICIAL START OF GAME LOOP

240 DISPLAY AT(12,:"PRESS ANY KEY":" TO SIMULATE";
250 GOSUB 520
260 IF OUT>2 THEN OUT=0 :: INN=INN+1
270 DISPLAY AT(4,4):"OUTS: ";OUT :: DISPLAY AT(4,18):"INNING: ";INN
280 DISPLAY AT(20,1):"NOW BATTING:":BAP$;
290 CALL KEY(0,K,S):: IF S=0 THEN 290
300 SFDICE=INT(RND*6)+1
310 WHDICE=INT(RND*6)+1
320 CALL CLEAR :: PRINT SFDICE :: PRINT WHDICE
330 FOR I=1 TO 400 :: NEXT I
340 IF SFDICE<3 THEN GOSUB 360 ELSE GOSUB 440
350 FOR I=1 TO 900 :: NEXT I :: CALL CLEAR :: GOTO 240

REM END OF GAME LOOP

**REM START OF SUBROUTINES**

REM THIS IS THE "YOU REACH BASE AND HERE'S HOW" SUB (CURRENTLY ADDING BASE RUNNING CODE)

360 CALL CLEAR
370 ON WHDICE GOSUB 380,390,400,410,420,430 :: RETURN
380 PRINT "WALK" :: RETURN
390 PRINT "SINGLE" :: RETURN
400 PRINT "SINGLE" :: RETURN
410 PRINT "DOUBLE" :: RETURN
420 PRINT "TRIPLE" :: RETURN
430 PRINT "HOME RUN" :: RETURN

REM THIS IS THE "YOU'RE OUT, AND HERE'S HOW" SUB

440 CALL CLEAR
450 ON WHDICE GOSUB 460,470,480,490,500,510 :: RETURN
460 PRINT "STRIKEOUT" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
470 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, RUNNERS ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
480 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, RUNNERS ADVANCE":"IF FORCED" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
490 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, DOUBLE PLAY":"IF RUNNER ON 1ST AND":"LESS THAN 2 OUTS...":"ALL OTHERS ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
500 PRINT "SHALLOW FLYOUT":"RUNNERS HOLD" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
510 PRINT "DEEP FLYOUT, RUNNERS ON":"SECOND OR THIRD ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN

REM THIS IS THE "GO THROUGH BATTING ORDER AND DISPLAY BATTER'S NAME" SUB

520 BAP=BAP+1 :: IF BAP>9 THEN BAP=1
530 IF BAP=1 THEN BAP$=B$ ELSE IF BAP=2 THEN BAP$=BB$ ELSE IF BAP=3 THEN BAP$=BBB$ ELSE IF BAP=4 THEN BAP$=SS$
540 IF BAP=5 THEN BAP$=LF$ ELSE IF BAP=6 THEN BAP$=CF$ ELSE IF BAP=7 THEN BAP$=RF$ ELSE IF BAP=8 THEN BAP$=C$
550 IF BAP=9 THEN BAP$=P$
560 RETURN

Edited by Opry99er

http://s830.photobucket.com/user/Opry99er/media/Classic99_zps75ea1ce4.mp4.html

As you can see, everything functions except for the score keeping and base running. At this point, it's just an exercise in simulation of "at-bats" accuracy. I'm working in some code right now that will allow for a more delicate handling of "who's on the bases." Rather than an 1 or 0 true/false flag for each base and a string variable for the names, each base will carry with it a number from 0-9. Zero being "empty base" and 1-9 being a specific batter in the lineup. When it calls for statistical scorekeeping per player, the player's name will be irrelevant. Only the number in the lineup order (1-9) will be relevant and the name of the player in a specific lineup spot will be associated with the number in the batting order he currently occupies. I handle it this way already in the "BAP" checks in the last subroutine (LINES 520-560) so why not be consistent throughout?

530 IF BAP=1 THEN BAP$=B$ ELSE IF BAP=2 THEN BAP$=BB$ ELSE IF BAP=3 THEN BAP$=BBB$ ELSE IF BAP=4 THEN BAP$=SS$
540 IF BAP=5 THEN BAP$=LF$ ELSE IF BAP=6 THEN BAP$=CF$ ELSE IF BAP=7 THEN BAP$=RF$ ELSE IF BAP=8 THEN BAP$=C$
560 RETURN

Edited by Opry99er

Okay, this will take some tweaking, but here's a way to handle the base runners on ONE instance... A single.

390 PRINT "SINGLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
391 IF BBFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BBFLG :: BBFLG=0
392 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=0
393 BFLG=BAP
394 RETURN

In this scenario, the (B)atter (A)t (P)late hits a single. In this case, all runners will advance one base.

First I start by checking if third base is occupied... (IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0)

If third is occupied, that player's flag data gets sent to home plate (for a run scored). The 3rd base flag is then set to zero.

Then I check if 2nd base is occupied (IF BBFLG....) and move THAT player to third (if he's there... sometimes there will be a man on third and not on second)

Then I check first, and if there's a guy there, I send him to second. Since it was a single, LINE 393 moves the BAP to first base, setting that flag for his lineup number.

***Each instance of player motion is recorded and accounted for in this scenario. Next I will handle walks, doubles, and triples.

Edited by Opry99er

Okay, all but the "walk" roll is done. **Note that the code is not optimized, it is simply as readable as I can make it at this point. The code has been tested and works. Now I need to keep visual track of base runners on the display so that it is easy to know what is happening. Another adjustment I made is that at the end of an inning, all bases are cleared before the next inning starts. I just did a flag-clear in line 260 to accomplish this. Once I finish the "walk" routine, I'll resequence and repost the entire code so you can try it out.

REM THIS IS THE "YOU REACH BASE AND HERE'S HOW" SUB

360 CALL CLEAR
380 PRINT "WALK" :: RETURN

**REM SINGLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE ONE BASE

393 BFLG=BAP
394 RETURN

400 PRINT "SINGLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
401 IF BBFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BBFLG :: BBFLG=0
402 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=0
403 BFLG=BAP
404 RETURN

**REM DOUBLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE TWO BASES

410 PRINT "DOUBLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
411 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
412 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=0 
413 BBFLG=BAP
414 RETURN

**REM TRIPLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE THREE BASES

420 PRINT "TRIPLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
421 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
422 IF BFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BFLG=0
423 BBBFLG=BAP
424 RETURN

**REM HOME RUN, ALL RUNNERS (PLUS BATTER AT PLATE) SCORE

430 PRINT "HOME RUN" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
431 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
432 IF BFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BFLG=0
433 HPFLG=BAP :: SCO=SCO+1
434 RETURN

Last post of the night. I now have ALL the "successful" plate appearances operational. Walk, Single, Double, Triple, and Homerun. You can simulate an entire 9 inning game and watch the score as you play. I still need to add the visual base-running bit... Unless you keep track in your head what bases are covered and what happens during a play, it's tough to know what's happening on the base path. I have tested four 9 inning games and they have all played properly.

**Note. If an out occurs but runners are supposed to advance (like on a fly ball), they will currently NOT do that. Double plays ALSO do not take place yet. I haven't written any code for the "outs" rolls yet. If an out occurs, one (and only one) out will be recorded and no players will advance any bases.

Tomorrow I will finish the "outs" simulation to include base advances, double plays, etc. Shouldn't be too hard now that I know what I'm doing. =)

**REM THESE LINES SET UP INITIAL VARIABLES.  EACH BASE HAS A FLAG AND PLAYER NAME ASSOCIATED WITH IT

100 BAP=0 :: INN=1 :: OUT=0 :: BFLG=0 :: BBFLG=0 :: BBBFLG=0 :: HPFLG=0 :: SCO=0
110 RANDOMIZE
120 REM BASEBALL SIM

**REM THESE ARE THE STRING VARIABLES CARRYING THE PLAYERS' NAMES WITH THEM

130 P$="W. JOHNSON"
140 C$="J. BENCH"
150 B$="L. GEHRIG"
160 BB$="R. HORNSBY"
170 BBB$="E. MATHEWS"
180 SS$="H. WAGNER"
190 LF$="T. WILLIAMS"
200 CF$="J. DIMAGGIO"
210 RF$="B. RUTH"

**REM THIS IS THE START OF THE VISUAL SETUP

220 CALL CLEAR
230 DISPLAY AT(8,:"DICE BASEBALL";
240 DISPLAY AT(12,:"PRESS ANY KEY":"        TO SIMULATE";
250 GOSUB 520
260 IF OUT>2 THEN OUT=0 :: INN=INN+1 :: BFLG=0 :: BBFLG=0 :: BBBFLG=0
265 IF INN>9 THEN CALL CLEAR :: PRINT "GAME OVER" :: END
270 DISPLAY AT(4,4):"OUTS: ";OUT :: DISPLAY AT(4,18):"INNING: ";INN :: DISPLAY AT(6,4):"SCORE: ";SCO
280 DISPLAY AT(20,1):"NOW BATTING:":BAP$;
290 CALL KEY(0,K,S):: IF S=0 THEN 290
300 SFDICE=INT(RND*6)+1
310 WHDICE=INT(RND*6)+1
320 CALL CLEAR :: PRINT SFDICE :: PRINT WHDICE
330 FOR I=1 TO 400 :: NEXT I
340 IF SFDICE<3 THEN GOSUB 360 ELSE GOSUB 440
350 FOR I=1 TO 900 :: NEXT I :: CALL CLEAR :: GOTO 240

**REM THIS IS THE "YOU REACH BASE AND HERE'S HOW" SUB

360 CALL CLEAR

**REM WALK, RUNNERS ON BASE ADVANCE ONLY IF FORCED

380 PRINT "WALK"
381 IF BBBFLG>0 AND BBFLG>0 AND BFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=BBFLG :: BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=BAP
382 IF BBFLG>0 AND BFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BBFLG :: BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=BAP
383 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=BAP
384 BFLG=BAP
385 RETURN

**REM SINGLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE ONE BASE

393 BFLG=BAP
394 RETURN

400 PRINT "SINGLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
401 IF BBFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BBFLG :: BBFLG=0
402 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=0
403 BFLG=BAP
404 RETURN

**REM DOUBLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE TWO BASES

410 PRINT "DOUBLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
411 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
412 IF BFLG>0 THEN BBBFLG=BFLG :: BFLG=0 
413 BBFLG=BAP
414 RETURN

**REM TRIPLE, ALL RUNNERS ADVANCE THREE BASES

420 PRINT "TRIPLE" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
421 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
422 IF BFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BFLG=0
423 BBBFLG=BAP
424 RETURN

**REM HOME RUN, ALL RUNNERS (PLUS BATTER AT PLATE) SCORE

430 PRINT "HOME RUN" :: IF BBBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBBFLG=0
431 IF BBFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BBFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BBFLG=0
432 IF BFLG>0 THEN HPFLG=BFLG :: SCO=SCO+1 :: BFLG=0
433 HPFLG=BAP :: SCO=SCO+1
434 RETURN

**REM THIS IS THE "YOU'RE OUT, AND HERE'S HOW" SUB

440 CALL CLEAR
450 ON WHDICE GOSUB 460,470,480,490,500,510 :: RETURN
460 PRINT "STRIKEOUT" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
470 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, RUNNERS ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
480 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, RUNNERS ADVANCE":"IF FORCED" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
490 PRINT "GROUNDOUT, DOUBLE PLAY":"IF RUNNER ON 1ST AND":"LESS THAN 2 OUTS...":"ALL OTHERS ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
500 PRINT "SHALLOW FLYOUT":"RUNNERS HOLD" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN
510 PRINT "DEEP FLYOUT, RUNNERS ON":"SECOND OR THIRD ADVANCE" :: OUT=OUT+1 :: RETURN

**REM THIS IS THE "GO THROUGH BATTING ORDER AND DISPLAY BATTER'S NAME" SUB

560 RETURN

Owen,

I have not been following your game development that closely but it seems to me that you could also use bits as flags. The Craig Miller Night Mission book has a chapter on 'The Power of AND'. Here is a quick overview:

SET A FLAG

F=F OR 4 turns on bit 2

TEST A FLAG

Single flag

IF F AND 4 THEN ... bit 2 is ON

Multiple flags

IF F AND 6 = 6 THEN ... (both bits 1 and 2 are ON) ELSE... (one or none are set)

IF F AND 6 THEN... (both or either are set) ELSE ... (neither is set)

DELETE a FLAG

F = F AND NOT 4 turns off bit 2

or F = F AND 251 turns off bit 2

or F = F AND -5 turns off bit 2

TOGGLE a FLAG

F = F XOR 4 toggle bit 2

The main advantage is that you can cut down on the number of variables used but the big disavantage is that you MUST manually keep track of how the various bits in each variable are being used.

There is also a Home Computer tech note in Vol 5 No. 6 of 99'er magazine entitled 'Several flags in one variable'.

Have fun,

Jacques

Edited by jacquesg