IGNORED

New Baseball game for the TI-99/4a

Opry99er

Just found a bug during a sim....

Found that on a double play with NO outs, the proper number of outs were being recorded (2), but first base was not cleared... So the guy on first was "out" but still on base after the outs were recorded.

See, that's a fairly rare scenario in this particular dice-roll sim. There has to be ZERO outs, a runner on first, and the batter would have to hit into a double play. I ran through 7 full 9-inning sims before those exact conditions existed and I was able to find the bug. =) Wonder what else is going to "foul" up in the next few sims? hehe

**Zero-Out-Double-Play Bug fixed 4/6/13

No, that is definitely on the "to do" list, for sure. Here are my next steps in the development:

1) track and record in-game statistics for each player in the lineup

2) create a "weighted" dice roll for each player's "real" statistics

*which would be a career average--

*for pitchers the main area of focus is WHIP (walks plus hits per inning pitched) versus left handed batters and right handed batters

*for batters, probably OPS (on base plus slugging) versus left handed pitchers and right handed pitchers

*If I can weight the batters against the pitchers in this way, each roll of the dice will be more realistic and this will become an actual simulation

3) save all in game statistics to disk where they will be compiled into season statistics

4) create a "lineup editor" for your team where you can set your batting order and pitching rotation... order your bullpen as well

5) create 20-30 teams (historical players) using their "real" statistics

.(graphics somewhere down here)

So as you can see, it gets pretty deep pretty fast. =) But yea, I'd consider a team-editor... It would be fairly low on the list though... just because there is SOOOO much to do to make this a legitimate simulator. =)

Still need a couple BETA testers guys... I've run sim after sim and I've found a few bugs...But I've got biased eyes... =)

When I play this simulation with baseball cards and real dice, my son and I keep score in a scorecard book I put together. See pic below

dicebase_zps8cdaa902.jpg

Yea... alright, I was thinking in too linear of terms. Learn something new every time I try to slap some code together. =)

Hehe, important lesson! Simple code is your friend. Most of the time, even the most complex, most highly optimized code, started out very simple to verify the algorithm was right. :)

There's a great saying, "Debugging is twice as hard as coding. Therefore, if you write your code as cleverly as possible, you are by definition not smart enough to debug it." More and more, I tend to believe this. ;)

• Like 1

Baseball and the TI sounds very exciting to me. That said, forgive me for not sifting through all 4 pages of this thread.

Big Baseball fan that understands the rules "completely"... did someone mention TI Baseball? Has anyone given any thought to hacking Milton Bradley's Baseball game to be playable without all that silly, rare and cost prohibitive MBX peripheral-e-i? :lol:

Joystick controlled (single vs. intelligent CPU or two player), simplistic baseball is what I've always desired from the 99/4A. Minimalistic managerial keyboard inputted "control" would be okay, but surely would not be the mainstay. IE: want to sub a player? call timeout? make a trade? Press a key, make the change and get back to the real arcade joystick controlled action.

-edit-

I see... this is a 70's styled RND (0) "dice" or *wildcard rolled text type "sim". :)

It is attached.

So, to SAVE2600....

It's not out of the realm of possibility, man. The vast majority of what I've done thus far is actual in-game mechanics which would apply to both a simulation and an arcade. If there's an interest, I'll do an arcade game. =)

@Tursi... Yep... I've learned the hard way once again. =) You'd think one day I'd just start small and build, but for some reason, I have a grandiose scheme all the time and I have to act on it... One of these days I'll learn.

***THE ATTACHED FILE

For BETA purposes (for testing the mechanics in place) I have made the game slow and it requires user interaction to sim each play. Please watch the base runners and the outs and score and let me know of any discrepancies you find. In completion, it will look absolutely NOTHING like what is there now... There will be graphics, sound, animations, etc.

Actually, there will be two options... One will be a "SIMULATION" mode, where it runs through the sim in a few seconds, records the stats and shows you who did what, etc... The other mode will be "WATCH" mode. It will simulate the same way, but you will watch the game play itself out.

Before each game, you will have GM options. You can set your lineup (you will have your starters as well as bench players) and you can set your bullpen. Since it will not be a random dice roll which determines outcomes, rather a set of equations based on real player statistics, your decisions before each game will be crucial... Play a left-handed-heavy lineup because the pitcher you will be facing is weak against leftys? That's your call...

Anyway, all that's in the future. For now, download, test, report on any oddities. Thank you so much for showing interest. =)

BASEBALL.zip

• Like 1

It is attached.

So, to SAVE2600....

It's not out of the realm of possibility, man. The vast majority of what I've done thus far is actual in-game mechanics which would apply to both a simulation and an arcade. If there's an interest, I'll do an arcade game. =)

Yes, not just me, I assure you. There's an interest!

Lots of us looking to pick up where we were left off decades ago - before it's too late.

I'm all puzzled and random integer'd out man! :rolling:

But, and of course - thanks for plugging away, learning, optimizing, keeping our beloved systems relevant and all that. :)

Yea man... What it is now is just an outline. The goal, as I wrote in earlier posts, is to create a true baseball simulation... Your action is in the pre-game... Creating lineups and bullpen priority based on who you're playing... You'll be able to view each team's lineup and stats before you face them. That's how it's not just a "random integer" simulation. I'm looking to have a standard 162 game season with all stats compiled on disk and available for viewing at any time through a menu system. I'm hoping to get 30 teams done up... all historical players, all with their actual historical "real" statistics which will "weight" the plays so as not to be just "random".

Baseball sims are a pretty in-depth and interesting exercise. check out pennantchase.com if you're interested in learning more about them.

Thing is, if you're not interested in being the general manager/skipper, then it's probably not all that interesting to you. =)

• Like 1

For a better idea on what a baseball sim is, read the following description from a sim website.

SimLeague Baseball™ is a baseball simulation game that puts you in the dual role of GM and manager.

Build a team of stars from throughout MLB history.Mantle, Cobb & Manny playing in the same Coors Field

outfield? Koufax, Feller & Lincecum in the same rotation in Petco? You can do it all.

Who bats where? What's the bullpen look like? How many pitches should my setup man throw?

Who should pinch-hit late in the game down by 2? A 162-game season presents many decisions, and you

get to make them all. Earn your league title and win prizes!

I was told that the onscreen displays made it difficult to know what was going on. It's tough to know who's up to bat (meaning which team) and when innings roll over.

I have made adjustments to allow for more understandable simulation. =) When I sim games, I'm completely aware of what's going on because I wrote the code... but looking at the suggestion, I realize that it's pretty esoteric and difficult until you know exactly what to look for and when. I've made it a bit more friendly now... Feel free to DL this file and have fun.

**Updates: Each inning (and half inning) the screen clears and it tells you which inning it is in and which team is coming up to bat.

I probably should have done this at the outset. =)

basehelp_zps5e3648a4.jpg

BASEBALL2.zip

Edited by Opry99er

Owen, Very cool sim.

Other than both pitchers going 6-8 with 2 walk's ( each had 3 hits and a walk! ) No DH needed here. A home run, Triple and a Double!

I know why you give the additional info on every roll... It is part of the original dice game.

But if the message is unrelated, could it be removed?

That is, with no runners on base, a double play or base advancement is not possible, so messages of this type do not need to be displayed.

But, I get it. I have never played dice baseball, but I did play a little bit of dice/card football and the messages were part of the game.

Gene

You got it, man.

Yea, the messages are written in sharpie on a piece of construction paper. =) Each roll, we have to look at the paper to figure out what just happened. (Well, you start to memorize all the numeric significance after 5-10 games or so).

I put it in there primarily to allow for testing-- to make sure the tester knew what to look for on the base path. But you're right... Runners can't advance if a groundout ends the inning. =)

Consider it done... Look for my next update later today. =)

BTW, have you DLed the latest update?

Has anyone given any thought to hacking Milton Bradley's Baseball game to be playable without all that silly, rare and cost prohibitive MBX peripheral-e-i? :lol:

I second that, just about every other mbx game was made/hacked to work without the mbx console and I'd love to actually play this game via emulation one day.

Okie Dokie... Here's the skinny on this update:

1) Dice roll numbers removed

2) Unnecessary information on each play removed (i.e. "Runners advance" if there are no runners)

3) Delay times sped up to allow faster sims

It's a small update, but it will make the simulation process go more smoothly and hopefully make it more enjoyable.

BASEBALL4.zip

Edited by Opry99er

...Other than both pitchers going 6-8 with 2 walk's...

Yep... that's where the statistics will play a part when they get implemented... To weight the outcomes of each play by statistical variables goes to the heart of a REAL baseball simulation. =)

Glad you're doing some of the testing... Very soon it will be time to start making this thing "real".

So right now I'm using right at 20% of available program space for this thing. That's pretty decent... I'm hoping to be able to cram all the other goodies in the remaining 80%, but it will eventually be necessary to load teams from disk. It's been a LONG time since I've done any file I/O code and I'm probably going to start working on it tomorrow evening...

Are there any REALLY good informative docs or manuals on how to effectively use file I/O in XB? I've gone through some of my Beryl Reichardt notes and found some good stuff in there, but I was hoping to brush up with a good article or something... Maybe something in MicroPendium?

I've played it a few times. Pretty cool game, and the use of voice commands and the Expansion joystick is pretty awesome.

The one I want to get is Strike Three. Anyone have a copy they want to move?

It's in Gamebase TI99 fella ;)