IGNORED

Atari 5200 sound issues

kuifje76

Hi guys, haven't posted in ages, same as I hadn't touched my games.

2 years ago I bought a 5200 on Ebay here in Australia with a multi card, sweet. Also bought a few games here on Atariage.

Just now connected it up for the first time properly, I get it tuned on the TV except the sound is static. Every now and then I "hear" the game very faint.

Now I've read to replace the capacitors to start with.

What is the value of these and are they normal capacitors?

When I measure mine with a multi meter, it says 16.4 micro farad, both.

Also if I need to replace the pokey chip, where can I get one? Is there a guide how to fix any sound issues?

Many thanks for your help, I wouldn't start a new topic on this if I had found the answer. Been looking for a few hours now and didn't get very far.

Edit, it's a four port if it makes a difference.

Edited by kuifje76

There is a repair/service manual for the 5200. I think there is a copy on www.atarimania.com. If not just do a google search for Atari 5200 service manual. For parts you can get stuff from Best Electronics www.best-electronics-ca.com or www.myatari.com. The general electronics components like resistors, capacitors, etc. you can get from the different on-line electronics parts sites. The service manual has a diacnostic part that can be very helpful in figuring out what is wrong.

Allan

Thanks for this, I think I found the manual, Atari_5200_Field_Service_Manual. That will be a great help I think, still have to have a proper look through it.

I had a look on Best Electronics, but couldn't find it on their site. Is a very hard page to navigate through for me.

As I said in my first post, couldn't find a lot.

Many thanks for taking the time to help me. It's really appreciated.