IGNORED

[Aquarius] Homebrew project Robotwon 2525

barnieg

As GroovyBee has posted about his new homebrew Killbotz! I thought I should give the other Mattel system some Attention and post about my homebrew idea for the Aquarius which was somewhat inspired by a recent thread about whether the Atari 2600 could do a Robotron like game so I thought what about an even more "challenged" system!

Still at very early stages and so far based on my clumsy efforts at C & Assembly on the Aquarius which started out using some Bezerk graphics. Have been working on some chunky graphics utilizing chjmartin2 brilliant graphic tool.

And yes I intend to have speech probably using the miniexpander - now all I need is a cheap real Aquarius+ miniexpander so I am not relying on emulation!!

post-17869-0-79204300-1364742973_thumb.png

• Like 7

All clever C and assembly routine ideas will be greatly appreciated :) Need to get a half decent block moving routine working that can plot chars of 2x1,2x2 and 3x3 also need to be able to print blocky pixel fonts which I hope will similar to early 2600 games & the intelliivision style characters.

GroovyBee: http://www.bobs-stuff.co.uk/ is great and the ZX-81 stuff he's done I think shows whats possible, I will probably use the full extended ASCII of the Aquarius but want to avoid making it look like an ASCII game if that makes sense!!

Going to target 16K ROM image for unexpanded Aquarius with optional miniexpander sounds. There is some overhead to Z88dk but I think that's worth it for some of the features available

Excellent! Glad to see homebrew development picking up for the Aquarius!

Going to target 16K ROM image for unexpanded Aquarius with optional miniexpander sounds. There is some overhead to Z88dk but I think that's worth it for some of the features available

Well, if you find that you need more space, definitely let me know. My cartridges can give you from 32K up to a full megabyte of bankswitched ROM.

I don't own an Aquarius but I'm certainly interested to see what you do with the chunky pixels. The game LumASCII on the Speccy certainly shows what you can get out of a built in ASCII font :-

http://youtu.be/tlNMyvD0stU

i have played tons of ascii games (mostly on mi ti-83 plus) but nothing as sweet looking as this

I used to play Tron Deadly Discs with just the keyboard overlay, but that was a long time ago :). Maybe Mini Expander needs to be a minimum requirement?, although I have no idea how the emulation of the controllers work in Virtual Aquarius!

Fantastic news! Cant wait to see this. Going for compatibility with the bare Aquarius makes good sense, but not sure how well you could play a Berzerk style game with the keyboard anyhow. Good luck!

Edited by barnieg

Think a Robotic Ellmer Fudd trying to say "Robotron" :) Walter the Wobot from Judge Dwedd:

http://www.facebook....obot?ref=stream

hmm should it be "Wobotwon"

fixed that misspelling for you. :) also reminds me of kwipke from the big bang theowy. also dual controllers direction pads being used would be awesome. Edited by pimpmaul69

you sure have my attention! Any homebrew effort for the Aquarius is much appreciated! A nice Berzerk version seems like a good idea. PS Mini-Expander and Joystick use seems to be of the essence with such a game.

I think you got Berzerk from my post, he is going for Robotron, sorry for the misdirection. I know they are similar, but Robotron is much more of a challenge for the Aquarius I think.

I think you got Berzerk from my post, he is going for Robotron, sorry for the misdirection. I know they are similar, but Robotron is much more of a challenge for the Aquarius I think.

Robotron is indeed even more amazing if he pulls this off!

There will be some bezerk ideas in there http://atariage.com/forums/topic/210151-robotron-2084-for-atari-2600/ has some good ideas :)