IGNORED

"Thin Ice" Gate Fold Reproduction Box

digress

Hi . I just made this in my home studio yesterday as I needed a box for a cartridge I was selling. It was fun to make. Thought I might share.

"Thin Ice" Gate Fold Reproduction Box

Thanks to Jason for the "Gate Fold" term which I had not heard of before

Based on original "Thin Ice" Box but now in new Gate fold style.

Dieline Design,Graphics Layout, Text Layout, Printing, Lamintation, Cut & Assembly by Me. www.eriscreations.com

Edited by digress
  • Like 1

Is there any sign of reproduction box? Of course its gatefold, so every experienced collector knows its just a reproduction, but if someone is new on the Intellivision this could confuse him. To tell the truth: I am no friend of reproduction boxes which look as close as possible to the original, it brings to much trouble, like figuring out if its original or reproduction on Ebay.

Of course its a nice work, but I wish there were more differences, like a new artwork, a different color, or just a "Reproduction" written on the Cover. Its annoying to ask every seller if he could show me the flaps.

Edited by Ignorama

Its not a production run or anything. It's a one of kind box to replace a missing box. The original was not gatefold apparently so it definitely couldn't be mistaken for it. I also stated very clearly that it was a reproduction.

Isn't that kind of like writing fake boobs across a t-shirt. It would kind of distract from the Aesthetic. :)

I understand your point but I never liked inspired by revisions like he-man 2000 or any new movie based on an original hit released with the same name. "Clash of the titans" Anyone .. anyone. Only the original art for the original game for me.

I will be making all new art from scratch for a game I am working on. So it has an alternative motive as a practice project.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by digress

How much trouble would it be to make a small run for your AA friends? :)

Charge whatever have to to cover your time/material. I have no prob with that!

And no, we dont need no reproduction labels ruining it! And just like fake boobs, we can tell the "fake" boxes.

Edited by revolutionika

Well, I dont like fake boobs and so I dont like fake boxes ;) I dont understand why I need a box which seems to be original, but in fact just is a copy. Like I said: This one is easy to figure out, but the repro boxes for Spiker and co arent that easy and it doesnt hurts if there is an obvious sign of reproduction on the outside of the box. Of course its not neccesary to write "fake box" on the cover, but it would be nice if there is something helps you to figure out the real deal and the fake on Ebay except the small flaps which were often not shown. But I already noticed, boxes are a sensitive topic :P

Well, I dont like fake boobs and so I dont like fake boxes ;) I dont understand why I need a box which seems to be original, but in fact just is a copy. Like I said: This one is easy to figure out, but the repro boxes for Spiker and co arent that easy and it doesnt hurts if there is an obvious sign of reproduction on the outside of the box. Of course its not neccesary to write "fake box" on the cover, but it would be nice if there is something helps you to figure out the real deal and the fake on Ebay except the small flaps which were often not shown. But I already noticed, boxes are a sensitive topic :P

Some of us are not resellers, and like people creative ways and ideas with regards with intv. In this case a box was made for a widowed game with atwist (gatefold) . So its just another creative approach for intellivision just like orphan overlays was.

Edited by voltron
  • Like 2

I dont claim the creators of the box as resellers, but in fact some people encroach the work for gaining profit. Its a pity, but its Ebay reality. And wouldnt it be even more creative to make a new looking box, with a new artwork, than "just" copying the original style? I respect the work behind projects like the Repro Box Set 1, but I also see the problems which came along with that projects.

If this set were made like this box here, as gatefold, it would be no problem. So I appreciate the conversion of INTV Box to Mattel gatefold box.

Some people like reproduction some peole like new stuff and some like both. I like both. And i agree on the resller part. I never sell anything and i dont like hoarderr that buy up stuff with the intent to resell at crazy high prices as starting bid. last year while intvnut was still selling xmas carol, i got a cold call from a reseller ofeering to sell me the game for 399. I guess there is a place for ebay and its a reality.

I dont claim the creators of the box as resellers, but in fact some people encroach the work for gaining profit. Its a pity, but its Ebay reality. And wouldnt it be even more creative to make a new looking box, with a new artwork, than "just" copying the original style? I respect the work behind projects like the Repro Box Set 1, but I also see the problems which came along with that projects.

If this set were made like this box here, as gatefold, it would be no problem. So I appreciate the conversion of INTV Box to Mattel gatefold box.

Just so you know, I'm with you 100 percent. Of course the experienced collectors are going to know what the deal is, that it's a reproduction, etc. And they intend to hold on to it, I'm sure. But there should be something clearly marking the box as being a repro that a newbie can easily see (on the front or back). How many times have we seen this situation happen: 1) Guy makes a limited run of repro games, boxes, etc and he gives or sells them to collectors. 2) Time passes. 3) Something happens to make the collector part with his stuff (forced to sell, dies, loses interest in the hobby, etc.). 4) Item ends up in someone's hands who has no idea what it is, does a quick Google search and think it's original. 5) Item is sold on EBay, either causing mass confusion due to original vs repro or some poor sob pays top dollar for it thinking it's original only to find out later it's not.

Just so you know, I'm with you 100 percent. Of course the experienced collectors are going to know what the deal is, that it's a reproduction, etc. And they intend to hold on to it, I'm sure. But there should be something clearly marking the box as being a repro that a newbie can easily see (on the front or back). How many times have we seen this situation happen: 1) Guy makes a limited run of repro games, boxes, etc and he gives or sells them to collectors. 2) Time passes. 3) Something happens to make the collector part with his stuff (forced to sell, dies, loses interest in the hobby, etc.). 4) Item ends up in someone's hands who has no idea what it is, does a quick Google search and think it's original. 5) Item is sold on EBay, either causing mass confusion due to original vs repro or some poor sob pays top dollar for it thinking it's original only to find out later it's not.

Not sure the ebay dilema can be stopped, i mean many of warn each other when we see a shady seller. Not everyone is on the forums, but that isnt a good enough reason in my opinion not to make an item. Be you would be punishing the collectors whow want it and know its a repro, not the seller.

Not sure the ebay dilema can be stopped, i mean many of warn each other when we see a shady seller. Not everyone is on the forums, but that isnt a good enough reason in my opinion not to make an item. Be you would be punishing the collectors whow want it and know its a repro, not the seller.

True. Not arguing, just saying there should be more done to easily and clearly mark a item as a repro.

A better idea would be not to give one known resellers that are going to post it on ebay for an astronomical price and not even include lube. most of us know who these sellers are. Im not referring to collectors who part with an item for whatever reason, but known sellers who dont really collect but hoard with the intent to resell the item without lube.

True. Not arguing, just saying there should be more done to easily and clearly mark a item as a repro.

Then there would be no point in buying one (at least for me).

I think marking the small flaps is plenty for real collectors, car part manufacturers never put their name on a repro part where it can be easily seen.

I also like the idea of a small marking on the bottom flap that indicates it's a repro. Maybe even add the year the repro box was made?

As far as paying top dollar on eBay, if you're willing to pay large amounts for "rare" items on eBay, it's up to you to know that there are always going to be reproductions, forgeries, and fakes. Do your research and know what you're buying...or don't and accept the potential consequences. It's like the autograph market. Don't pay top dollar unless you have some way to verify it. Intellivision isn't immune to scammers and fakery.

Now, how do we get a design and have some boxes made for Rocketeer? :grin: With GBs blessing, of course. |:)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

also like the idea of a small marking on the bottom flap that indicates it's a repro. Maybe even add the year the repro box was made?

Adding the year seems to be a great idea! It makes the repro box more authentic, because its a bit senseless to write 1983 or something like that on a box produced in 2013 and its also very nice if there are several runs of repro-boxes. Its also a very dicreed evidence on the outside if its a real deal, or a repro, no need for asking for pictures of the flaps. I would also prefer if the part "distributed by INTV Corp" (just an example) would be replaced with the new distributor.

now you see this is why i posted here. I was hoping for some real feedback and learn from it. I thought about the "distributed by INTV Corp" line 1983 myself but well it is the actual cartridge and manual from 1983 so that is not inaccurate.

The huge advantage to the gatefold style box is wear and tear. those top flap open boxes & flaps get ripped sooner or later. This is also more sturdy because of the central support added in the cartridge hole. the cover is also 2 layers of point board rather than 1 so that holds up better too. The cover is designed to open & close often. better protection for the manual & cart as well since they don't move around.

I don't have a problem with writing reproduction or the year somewhere on a flap or something. just not front and center. The box is about the game inside. The cart & manual are not reproductions. I actually have to make another one tomorrow as I just noticed a typo.

I actually work in the display business so i do have the ability to do larger runs of stuff although this was just a practice project.

Adding the year seems to be a great idea! It makes the repro box more authentic, because its a bit senseless to write 1983 or something like that on a box produced in 2013 and its also very nice if there are several runs of repro-boxes. Its also a very dicreed evidence on the outside if its a real deal, or a repro, no need for asking for pictures of the flaps. I would also prefer if the part "distributed by INTV Corp" (just an example) would be replaced with the new distributor.

When people pay stupid amounts for 'rare' games, they are creating an environment for scammers.

Someone can easily commission a box for 3000 dollars or so, that copies a rare game, and produce a cart that does the same. Having the honest reproduction box makers put 'reproduction' on the box is not going to stop it.

Stop creating 'guides' with values of $1000 - 1600 for certain titles. Stop paying more than a couple of hundred for these games, and the problem will go away.

Personally, if I buy a repro Spiker box from Oliver, and make my own 'spiker' in a mattel shell, and put it on the shelf, why does it matter that someone at INTV didn't do the printing? To me, it is a physical example of a rare Intellivision game. Yeah, I get that people want a complete collection, but I don't see how 'authentic' examples are any different than a copy.......this isn't like we are talking about a historical war medal or flag, where being a copy really takes away from knowing that this piece of history is in your hands. The history is in the program.

• Like 2