IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Dusting off the old Aquarius ...

Perhaps a sort of 'Advance Wars' like on the Gameboy would suit the intellivision / Aquarius?

isnt advance wars tile based? on intv checkers and chess etc.. are simple tile based games, but i think advance wars would be too much. i dunno if maybe the new boards would fix that or not or if ram/exec just couldnt do enough needed for it.

isnt advance wars tile based? on intv checkers and chess etc.. are simple tile based games, but i think advance wars would be too much. i dunno if maybe the new boards would fix that or not or if ram/exec just couldnt do enough needed for it.

Would have to be a scaled down version :-)

do u have extra cassette recorder with cable for sale by chance? or even just cassette cable if that is all u have extra of?

I think I have a complete spare cassette recorder if you want to send me a pm :)

• 3 weeks later...
Sign me up for a cart when this is available. Good to see a project moving forward...

Thank you!

Just a quick update on the new SuperCart boards while I'm here: I've completed the last of my revisions to the design, and sent it off yesterday to be manufactured! I made some cosmetic improvements, and added a few extra jumpers to support regular 16K ROMs in addition to bankswitched 32K–1M ones. I should receive the first batch early next month.

Thanks to Martin's bootloader utility (see here), I'll be able to offer homebrew authors the service of producing cartridges for Aquarius software written in BASIC; it will be similar to the custom cartridge service offered by the AtariAge store. I think that the option to program in BASIC, combined with the tools already available and an inexpensive cartridge publishing service, will give prospective homebrew authors everything they need to create their own projects on the Aquarius, without having to learn assembly language programming.

• Like 4

Thank you!

Just a quick update on the new SuperCart boards while I'm here: I've completed the last of my revisions to the design, and sent it off yesterday to be manufactured! I made some cosmetic improvements, and added a few extra jumpers to support regular 16K ROMs in addition to bankswitched 32K–1M ones. I should receive the first batch early next month.

Thanks to Martin's bootloader utility (see here), I'll be able to offer homebrew authors the service of producing cartridges for Aquarius software written in BASIC; it will be similar to the custom cartridge service offered by the AtariAge store. I think that the option to program in BASIC, combined with the tools already available and an inexpensive cartridge publishing service, will give prospective homebrew authors everything they need to create their own projects on the Aquarius, without having to learn assembly language programming.

Your link to tools stated that the maker of Virtual Aquarius made his own approximated Aquarius font due to technical issues. I've been eager to get approval for using an Aquarius font for some time. Hopefully his Yahoo email address is still active! Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Contact me for the die line for the box. I can send you an example of an Elektronite box, and then you can modify the PDF to be for an Aquarius design.

Thank you! In fact, I was about to get in touch with you to ask about the specs for the boxes. I'll be sending a PM shortly.

Jay has been sent the box die line, and will be designing something soon. I can't wait to see what it will look like!

New Aquarius carts in boxes and new shells....who would have thunk it! :-)

Thank you again! I'm grateful that you're willing to enrich my projects by sharing something that you've learned about and created. Hopefully, I'll have the chance to do the same for others, through publishing their games on cartridges for them or through other endeavors.

• Like 2

... and, just in time, here they are!

0501boards1.jpg

0501boards2.jpg

The bottom picture shows the first two populated boards. The one on the left is the simplest configuration, a non-bankswitched 16K cartridge (the ROM on this board is a copy of Aquarius Chess), while the one on the right is fully populated and can support up to a megabyte of bankswitched ROM.

I've also received my first shipment of cartridge shells from Joe Z. (thanks, Joe!), so now, all that's missing is the gatefold box design. That's my next project! I've got a few ideas, so when the time comes, I'll probably post some samples to get everyone's feedback.

• Like 7

Get one now before they explode in price! I got a CIB Aquarius Computer/Game System bundle for cheap. 2 out of the 4 games are sealed and the Mini Expander looks to be untouched.

I also got 2 loose systems too with 1 loose mini expander (no controllers), I think the only attachment I need is a Cassette recorder to complete the Aquarius system/accessories set.

Beefy little system I was shocked how heavy it was for the size and having an external power supply too, built like a tank for sure!

Now to get me a Jaybird3rd Aquarius Mulitcart :)

Edited by Shinju
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've also received my first shipment of cartridge shells from Joe Z. (thanks, Joe!

Have you ever thought about 3d printing these cartridge shellls?

3d printing is becoming more and more popular amongst hobbyists as you can build your own 3d printer as a diy project and others are selling improved versions for affordable prices.

Regs,

Martin

Have you ever thought about 3d printing these cartridge shells?

3d printing is becoming more and more popular amongst hobbyists as you can build your own 3d printer as a diy project and others are selling improved versions for affordable prices.

I've certainly thought about it. An off-the-shelf 3D printer that would have the capacity for a cartridge shell is beyond my budget at present, but I've seen some interesting DIY projects; my father (who is a machinist) has looked into homemade 3D printers and injection molding machines for an unrelated project, including 3D printers that others have made by retrofitting old HP Deskjet printers.

If I were to print my own cartridge shells, I'd almost certainly want to go back to the original Aquarius cartridge design (assuming I'm still in the "business" of producing Aquarius cartridges by that time). It would really depend on the unit cost and the level of quality I could get from the printer. It's something I'm interested in investigating further, but in the meantime, I'm glad I've got a good supply of these LTO shells.

I actually got some static when I suggested people at least start thinking about making freely available .STL files for cart shells. Yeah, the 3D printers and spools are still expensive now. Regardless, one of us is eventually gonna take the plunge and offer to make something useful for the community - like new shells :)

Beefy little system I was shocked how heavy it was for the size and having an external power supply too, built like a tank for sure!

I'm impressed at the build quality of the Aquarius, too, especially considering the original price point. It was one of the last home computers designed specifically for the low-budget entry-level market, but it's a much nicer machine than the others I've seen in that category, such as the Sinclair ZX81 (or the Timex Sinclair 1000, as we knew it here in the US). I probably own a dozen new or used Aquarius systems by now, but even though some of them have been very harshly treated over the years, they've all held up pretty well; only one or two of them have some sort of hardware problem.

Now to get me a Jaybird3rd Aquarius Mulitcart :)

Well, if you decide to go for it, you'll be the first to get one based on the new cartridge design pictured here! I still need to design a good label for it, though, along with the "multi-purpose" gatefold boxes we've been talking about.

If I were to print my own cartridge shells, I'd almost certainly want to go back to the original Aquarius cartridge design (assuming I'm still in the "business" of producing Aquarius cartridges by that time) .

A lot of owners of these 3d printers are offering a 3d print service where you can upload your own design and they will print it for you. This market is also growing and outsourcing your 3d print could also be an option.

You could enhance the design byadding your personal 3d logo into the cartridge.

Regs,

Martin

A lot of owners of these 3d printers are offering a 3d print service where you can upload your own design and they will print it for you. This market is also growing and outsourcing your 3d print could also be an option.

You could enhance the design by adding your personal 3d logo into the cartridge.

Very interesting. I like this idea, and I'll certainly look into it when I'm ready to take that step. In the meantime, I'll have to acquire a suitable CAD program and learn how to use it to design in 3D. It's something I'd like to learn anyway, so this would be an ideal "learning project," but I'd like to get some homebrew titles under my belt first. I don't want to get so caught up in cartridge production that I don't have any time left to create good software to put inside the cartridges!

• Like 1

I have heard the plastic for a 3d printer is around 50 dollars.....even at 10 dollars, not really what I would consider cost effective for game shells. For a prototype shell, sure.....but not for general use.

Someone claimed that the Aquarius was 'low priced'.....I seem to recall that it was cheaper, than the C64 and Atari, but that it was still fairly expensive on release, until it totally, utterly flopped.....I recall it being in the store for 3 or 4 months, and I was in awe of its crappiness, and then it disappeared having been 'recalled' by Mattel.

That being said, I am interested in seeing the new box design. Hopefully, we can print it before labour day.