IGNORED

Odyssey 1 Games - Availability

So there's a decent chance I might be getting a hold of an original Odyssey for under five bucks. The problem is however, that it will be sans games and overlays, and I seem to be having trouble finding these items for sale absolutely anywhere other than being sold as a complete package with the system on eBay.

Anyone have any ideas where I could get a hold of any on their own?

Under $5 I would say definitely go for the system whether it has the games or not. Even if you can't find individual games, someone who wants a backup system due to these being very very old would still probably put a very high value on the system. You could profit quite well. You could also buy a system with games on ebay, then stick the games you didn't enjoy with one of the two systems and sell the other one off.

Obviously $5 is a no brainer but it is very difficult to find the game cards for sale separately. You could probably sell the system for $50 or more if it is working depending on what it comes with. I don't think many of the people who have posted in this thread even know what you are talking about. They may be thinking of the Odyssey 2. I do have some spare parts myself but no extra game cards.

Here are the pinouts for the cards, which are just glorified circuit jumpers:

http://www.pong-story.com/odycarts.htm

As you see, it looks like game card #2 doesn't even need to be put in, as no circuit connections are made.

I suppose a guy could take some wires with small spade connectors and fool the Odyssey? Then print the overlays on letter size transparency and buy a 9" tv at the Goodwill?

Overlay images

That's just my cheap bastard approach, hope it suits you.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm all over it for that price. The collector's value to me just to own the world's first commercial home console is more than worth the price of admission!

It would just be nice to be able to show off that slice of gaming history, you know?

You can say that again, my Odyssey:

myodyssey1_zps907faad6.jpgmyodyssey2_zpsfde99799.jpg

myodyssey3_zpsb2dfa155.jpgmyrifle_zpsa12452c2.jpg

myodyssey5_zps7b703de2.jpgmyodyssey4_zps8c979db5.jpg

Edited by high voltage

• 2 weeks later...

There's a reseller on eBay that keeps prices high, but about about two months ago I watched a boxed set sell for under $100. $5 for just the main unit would have been a great price even if it was kept as a backup. I think you'd be better off buying a complete set vs piece mealing individual pieces. It's just so hard to find loose pieces. You could be searching for years..