IGNORED

Desert Strike

woolfman

I´m kinda stuck at the 4. Level in this game. Can somebody help me with the Trucks? Currently I am wasting my fuel on waiting until they turn around (which takes a LOT of time), so that I can see whether they´re hiding bomb parts or not.

Unfortunately I have to play halfway through the game until this mission is unlocked, and only from there I can try to find the matching 4 trucks. Isn´t there a simpler approach in finding out? Search via google only brings up the level codes, which I obviously don´t need....

I complted this game many years ago but have no solid guide instructions for you. I can't remember if this conversion matches other versions in terms of mission layouts etc ie; mega drive etc.

Have you tried a you tune gameplay search for this or other versions for level 4?

Hey Woolfman, I loved this game a lot. I am trying to think the best way to beat the last level. First you have to blow up buildings to reveal more fuel/ammo and armor. I know it sounds tedious but I think it is the only way to win.

Second I do remember that certain things are stronger with radar I think the radar is at the top right or left you have to take that out early in the game.

In the menu where it shows what the enemy has and how to take it out. It shows radar and it says "hidden on map" look for this radar it will make your life easier.

I Believe there is some armor after you blow up the power stations and the chemical plants or those towers that surround the plants that are spewing out the green looking gas.

Also do not forget to save P.O.W.s for some extra health.

As for the trucks I am assuming they will not be an issue if you blow up buildings and reveal more stuff. That was kinda the fun secret strategy you had to uncover stuff while playing the game and the other latter games.

The only other thing I could recommend is using a YouTube playthrough if you need to see what you actually need to do to beat the game.

I know how it is though you would rather beat it yourself. I know that is the last level. Great game to this day. I still like to play it once and a while. I have to try to beat the other games, I never did yet.

Edited by greencoman

• 9 years later...
On 4/3/2013 at 12:13 PM, woolfman said:

I´m kinda stuck at the 4. Level in this game. Can somebody help me with the Trucks? Currently I am wasting my fuel on waiting until they turn around (which takes a LOT of time), so that I can see whether they´re hiding bomb parts or not.

Unfortunately I have to play halfway through the game until this mission is unlocked, and only from there I can try to find the matching 4 trucks. Isn´t there a simpler approach in finding out? Search via google only brings up the level codes, which I obviously don´t need....

Bumping of a long dead thread by a member who is no longer here, but I have my reasons.  I figured if anybody comes searching for this topic later down the line they can find it.  And who knows, woolfman himself might come back one day.

I just finished Desert Strike for the first time and this may have been the most difficult part of campaign four.  These garbage trucks do not turn around very often, and the ones that do are usually the civilian trucks.  When I saw a truck was full of civilians I tried to remember where it was so if I saw it again I would not shoot it.  I tried getting in front of the trucks and shooting at them to get them to turn around.  Sometimes this seemed like it worked, but other times not.  The civilian trucks have what I think are white stick figure people in the back and the trucks with bomb parts have little bombs with quite a bit of red on them.

One thing for sure you have to do is to take all the enemies found in the southeast town.  I think there are three and I think they are all the M48 Mobile SAM Launcher, which do major damage.  Each rocket can do 100 points of damage and each launcher can fire two at a time.  Then you have to take the time to destroy pretty much every building in the southeast town.  I believe there are one or two fuel refills, in addition to the one out in the open, two MIAs, I think two armor refills, and at least three ammo refills.  Of course a couple of the buildings are hiding enemy soldiers and one hides an M48 that can hit you while inside the building.  So you have to get on the safe side of the building to blow it up to reveal the M48 and then take care of it.

The game also lets you destroy some civilian trucks before failing the mission.  I am not sure how many, but I think you can destroy at least two civilian trucks without failing.  When I got down to needing one or two more bomb parts and the trucks would just not turn around, I would try to remember which trucks I was pretty sure were civilian and then take out others I was not sure about.  This worked for me twice.

One thing I did that I think was a good idea was to clear out the ZSU tanks not found in the towns early in the campaign.  There is one right near the westernmost landing zone.  This is one of the souped up ones that shoot giant balls of death.  It is protecting an ammo crate which you might need at the end of the campaign and you do not want to have to deal with it then.  There is also one lone ZSU in the northwest section of the map guarding more ammo.  This one shoots the regular bullets, but it seemed to shoot them much faster than a regular ZSU.  This one actually killed me while I attacked it, but I finished it off on my next life.  You will need that ammo on the last mission and you definitely do not want to have to deal with that ZSU as you are desperate for ammo at that point and might be fighting it with cannons only.

Hopefully this will help someone finish this game somewhere down the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2