IGNORED

Raycasting demo

• 4 weeks later...

raycast_20200413.zip

I found that simply changing some constants allows me to dither the wall or ceiling, so that allows some more variation. I've also increased the unit height of walls from 8 to 36 (the height when the wall is exactly one unit away from the viewer). This makes walls appear square, which makes them look a lot better when dithered. It would also be necessary if/when I add texture mapping. Also managed to eke out a little more speed from the engine to try to make up for the overhead from dithering. Getting more speed is important since texture mapping would add even more overhead.

• Like 4

John, about sprites, how do you plan to implement scaling and clipping ?

The most effective way (from the visual point of view) would be to use MOB for far distance and software sprites for close distance.

But this would be also the most clumsy and expansive way to implement sprites.

Essentially you should develop two engine to manage sprites...  

Probably the simplest thing to do is to start with the SW sprite engine

For each sprite frame, I would store pre-computed data in rom for all scales and the four pixel alignments (in color square mode).  

In this way one could build four fast column renderers able to mix data from the walls and from the selected scale of the sprite frame   

I've started looking at the Wolfenstein 3D source to try to understand how software sprites are done. It seems to be computationally expensive so keeping it fast will be tricky. I also looked at a ton of Wolf3D gameplay videos to understand what features are desirable. First I think I need to try to squeeze as much speed out of this new implementation as I can.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 2:25 PM, JohnPCAE said:

Been sitting on this for a while. The movement logic had some bugs that would let you walk through walls under certain circumstances. This fixes those bugs.

raycast_20200709.zip 87.8 kB · 35 downloads

Hi. Have you had a chance to look at this further, maybe incorporating @artrag's ideas?

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...