IGNORED

I hate Ebay

Ignorama

Today my Fathom arrived and I was very happy about the condition at first, but then I looked a bit closer to the manual and found something disappointing:

fathomu.jpg

Look at the dolphins mouth. May I am too picky, but I paid 160 Dollar + 36 Dollar shipping + around 40 Dollar fees for that, it really pisses me off. No word about that in the description, no picture which shows this flaw, collecting stops beeing funny with that kind of sellers.

If anybody is not as picky as I am: I would trade this manual with another Fathom manual without writings. I offer to take the shipping costs and add 20 Dollar. I also can offer some other videogames, if someone may want to trade please contact me, I think we'll can make a deal. Also if someone is selling is loose manual: I am your man.

No refunds, the only way is to send it back, which is really senseless for me because the amount I had to pay for shipping and fees. I hope to find a new manual some day, but I wont buy anything again from that seller. :thumbsdown:

It could of been alot worse.

Of course it could be worse, but its really not the kind of business reputable sellers should do. Maybe I can trade it in that condition, if somebody needs a Fathom and has rare titles to offer, let me know

Wow.....

I have sold a lot of videogame and i never went throught the manual page to see something was written on it.

Picky? Well next time just ask the selle r to go over every pages before bidding.

Good luck

Disagree. If something is that expensive, you go through it and make sure it is perfect first. It isn't a novel, it's a manual with just a few pages. I agree that no one bothers for something that is common...

My problem is: The seller isnt a normal person who sells his stuff, its a seller who is specialized on Intellivision games. If it were a privat auction I would agree with you, but in this case I cant. He take NINE Pictures to show every detail and three of them showed the manual. Its no accident that not even one showed the flaw. Three picturs of a 4 page manual and not even one which give me the chance to see the flaw by myself. The box looked beautiful, I wondered why he called it just "good", but my assumption was that he is very critical with the condition. That was a mistake, he isnt very critical, he just hides flaws, which I call major flaws. I skipped the River Raid last night, because this seller has shown the writing on the last page. I wished I had bought this, because he was honest and earned the high price more than this seller.

Well, I cant change anything and I have to find a nice trade or replacement manual to be happy, but I cant be happy which a total Payment of 230 Dollar for that, knowing that it will cost at least 50 Dollar to upgrade the condition to my standards.

Edit: By the way: Its no different for me if there is a whole novel or just one letter in the manual. Its the same like writing in books, I'll would never do things like that. I really hope that at least Congo Bongo comes as descriped, if that has also hidden flaws I'll have to kill some Asteroids in Astrosmash :mad:

Edited by Ignorama

Hmmmm, as a buyer OR a seller I'd never even consider that honestly. If the cart/box/manual were tear/wrinkle free that would be all I would look at it if it sold for $10 or $500. Maybe if the whole manual were mucked up with writing I'd have a beef, but one number? Doesn't change the grade to me.

I have a modest collection of Astrosmash manuals that I kept specifically because of the scores written in the back. Since it's such a cheap and common game and there are actually pages in the back for high scores, I keep them as sort of a snapshot of the times. They tell stories....a kid obsessively trying for higher scores, siblings battling it out, a husband and wife enjoying some friendly competition. I love my minty untainted games, but I also appreciate all of the character locked up in these! I suppose I'm glad it's in my Astrosmash instead of my Fathom, but the four digit number isn't terrible. If you keep an eye out, you can find a reasonable upgrade and probably still this one for a decent amount....just be sure to disclose the secret code ;-)

• Like 2

I have a modest collection of Astrosmash manuals that I kept specifically because of the scores written in the back. Since it's such a cheap and common game and there are actually pages in the back for high scores, I keep them as sort of a snapshot of the times. They tell stories....a kid obsessively trying for higher scores, siblings battling it out, a husband and wife enjoying some friendly competition. I love my minty untainted games, but I also appreciate all of the character locked up in these! I suppose I'm glad it's in my Astrosmash instead of my Fathom, but the four digit number isn't terrible. If you keep an eye out, you can find a reasonable upgrade and probably still this one for a decent amount....just be sure to disclose the secret code ;-)

I totally agree with Jason. I find extremely cute that notes from the past appear on manuals. After all, these are items that are not new.

They are all used and because of that they carry a story with them. I also have found magazine clippings with hints attached to manuals.

Another cool thing to find is hand written maps. I have treasured some of these extra findings inside games.

The notes on the manual tell that somebody at least actually played and perhaps enjoyed the game. I am pretty sure that many collectors (for many reasons) don't play the game at all.

A game is meant to be played and enjoyed and a used game may carry the evidence of that.

Perhaps Ignorama should not worry about the notes too much and see the item with different eyes.

Cheers,

Oscar

PS I loved Ignorama's note about playing Astrosmash to deal with the frustration. That's the spirit!

Did you manage to get a good score? Playing is therapeutic. :)

Edited by Oscar G.
  • Like 1

I found a trade here on AA and a new manual is on the way home.

@ boxpressed

This dont make me any happier, I never get why people write on boxes or manuals. Sure, some manuals have special pages for some notes, thats something I dont accept in my collection, but I can understand, but for havens sake: Why use the manual as a sheet of paper? Isnt there anything else to write the stupid high scores down? :?

I found a trade here on AA and a new manual is on the way home.

@ boxpressed

This dont make me any happier, I never get why people write on boxes or manuals. Sure, some manuals have special pages for some notes, thats something I dont accept in my collection, but I can understand, but for havens sake: Why use the manual as a sheet of paper? Isnt there anything else to write the stupid high scores down? :?

It's because inherently video games are not designed to be a collectible. They were meant to be played with not kept factory fresh. When they are played with, they will take some amount of wear (depending on the person, some more than others). That's why I don't stress over condition.

It's because inherently video games are not designed to be a collectible.

I agree so far, but I have to add that neighter boxes nor manuals were designed to be notepads :P

Serious, in every household are countless pieces of papers, so there is no need to write on a box or a manual, which is pretty senseless because the space is limited.

But I am happy that there are people who think different about that, because it was the only chance for me to get a new manual without paying a new Fathom

I agree so far, but I have to add that neighter boxes nor manuals were designed to be notepads :P

Serious, in every household are countless pieces of papers, so there is no need to write on a box or a manual, which is pretty senseless because the space is limited.

But I am happy that there are people who think different about that, because it was the only chance for me to get a new manual without paying a new Fathom

Some manuals WERE designed to be notepads, like it or not.

• Like 1

I have a CIB Intellivoice that is mint, other than minor shelf wear on the box. On the front of the box it has the price written in Pen. And as the price went lower because it was on lcearance, they crossed out the old price and wrote a new one. I thought it was funny, because they got it at such a low price, because it looks like it was only used 1-2 times (and one of the games was still sealed).

Something like this happened to me at ebay a while back. I bought a cartridge that had a label in perfect cond in picture, but arrived with "Stan" written on it in black magic marker. :-o I stopped buying from eBay since. I mean, i have enough headaches with people "offline" i didn't make too much a fuss, it was pretty cheap, but still B.S. :mad:

Edited by Rik