IGNORED

8K Supercart

Tempest

Maybe you have a bad dump. I have not had any crashes with the games and the enter key works just fine to start. It's a bother to play with one joystick but after a few minutes everything seems normal. I'd call it a completed game with title screen and high score feature. Perhaps it wasn't designed for two players ?

The dump I have is the one that was shared back when it was first released. If you found a newer one, by all means, let's have a look! :)

Perhaps it wasn't designed for two players ?

post-12959-0-10038100-1365398221_thumb.png

Perhaps I am misreading the title page.. you tell me.

In the dump I have Enter does not start the game, and pressing '2' for a 2 player game has no noticable effect. It tracks the highest score and reports "NEW ROBOTRON HERO" if you set the high score, but nobody was talking about high scores not working. :)

There's only one dump of Robotron as far as anyone knows. Marc's just stirring again.

Hmmmmmmm... Perhaps this video will help you out...

AFAIK this is the same ROM everybody else has and it seems to work as advertised. Don't know what could be causing the problems you are experiencing but I'm pretty sure it's not in the game code (unless your dump is bad of course which seems unlikely if the game runs at all for you.) Perhaps you should burn an EPROM and try it on your console. That may help in your quest to find an answer to this riddle.

Tempest.... I would suggest trying to get your hands on a cart and ROM for this. Trying to undo what has been done to squeeze the game into 8K chunks will most likely take a whole lot more effort and prove less fruitful than getting a cart. I could get one together for you, I think I have some left. If your interested then give me a PM.

Marc

• Like 1

Thanks for posting that, Marc, but I'm going to call in a KMA for the way you are going about it. ;)

This argument has lost all sense of reality for me so I'll agree to kiss your ass on Christmas and one one other day of your choice ;-).

You went to all the trouble of making a video, can you also post your ROMs so I can have a peek whether it's different? Would solve it faster than asserting. :)

Out of curiousity, DOES fire start your copy of the game?

Edited by Tursi

Yea I'm gonna pass on the whole KMA thing. Here is the dump from the EPROM through the 8088 XT to floppy to here. Looks like I got it from Jon. The label looks like his and not Bob's. The game starts via <ENTER> or <FIRE> but not <Q> so that should give you a clue as to what is going on if anything. It's zipped as a 7z file. I doubt .BIN would be an acceptable upload here. The extension has been changed to text so the upload will work.

RT-3-13.txt

Edited by marc.hull

Normal ZIP works as an extension too, dunno about 7Z. Thanks. It's byte for byte what I have. I also burned an EPROM as you suggested and it does indeed work fine on hardware. That's excellent!

I did test on the emulators I have handy - Win994A doesn't respond on the title page either, but '+' sometimes starts the game. MESS appears to work correctly except that + sometimes starts the game for it, too (caveat, I have an older MESS). Classic99 will also sometimes start the game on +.

On real hardware, confirmed that Enter or Fire will start the game, but NOT Q, and as far as I can see, not +.

What I also found interesting is that both ESDX and IJKM move the player. This works in emulation.

So it's an interesting glitch! Whatever is being done wrong with the keyboard, we (as in me, Corey, and Michael) are all doing it to at least some extent the same wrong way. I'll thank you for pointing it out and apologize for claiming you were just stirring, Marc. :)

Normal ZIP works as an extension too, dunno about 7Z. Thanks. It's byte for byte what I have. I also burned an EPROM as you suggested and it does indeed work fine on hardware. That's excellent!

I did test on the emulators I have handy - Win994A doesn't respond on the title page either, but '+' sometimes starts the game. MESS appears to work correctly except that + sometimes starts the game for it, too (caveat, I have an older MESS). Classic99 will also sometimes start the game on +.

On real hardware, confirmed that Enter or Fire will start the game, but NOT Q, and as far as I can see, not +.

What I also found interesting is that both ESDX and IJKM move the player. This works in emulation.

So it's an interesting glitch! Whatever is being done wrong with the keyboard, we (as in me, Corey, and Michael) are all doing it to at least some extent the same wrong way. I'll thank you for pointing it out and apologize for claiming you were just stirring, Marc. :)

No need to apologize Mike. Just make sure you finish your crow before bedtime ;-).....

@Marc: There's no shame in being wrong. You'll understand someday.

@Tempest: It's unlikely to have any impact in the quality of the EA port I did. The method I used is more or less a function of time. Did it not work for you?

I haven't had time to test it yet. I probably won't get a chance until this weekend.

No big deal. It is definitely still buggy, but I was able to play pretty far through. I was testing some new code to automatically relocate, and it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

Hey Marc... I'm assuming that dump can just be burned to an EPROM and put on one of Jon's boards? I think I have a couple of those left...

Yes it can. I don't know where the idea came from that it ever had issues. AFAIK it was known working when Brian bought it and released it (I think it was Brian.) Jon even offered it as working when selling his boards IIRC. I believe you can get one from Jon or Bob if you don't have a programmer Owen. I don't know what Jon gets for his but I believe Bob charges 10 buck at the most for his 16K EPROMS ? Well worth it especially if you all ready have the cart... It takes some getting used to with 1 joystick but after a bit it seems natural enough.

@Marc: There's no shame in being wrong. You'll understand someday.

Oh good night Mike. You called me all but a liar and then told me to kiss your ass and now your gonna get all butt hurt over that little comment of mine ? Didn't you see the smiley face or do mine not count like yours do ? As far as your little pearl of wisdom goes.... perhaps you should look in a mirror before you go repeating that to anyone.

Okay, good info, man... Yea, I'm really looking forward to playing that one. =) BTW, Marc... You don't have an original Strike Three! cart, do ya? It'd be worth it's weight in platinum, gold, and olivine moon rock... =) well, not quite that... but I'd come off come cool stuff for it. =)

Okay, good info, man... Yea, I'm really looking forward to playing that one. =) BTW, Marc... You don't have an original Strike Three! cart, do ya? It'd be worth it's weight in platinum, gold, and olivine moon rock... =) well, not quite that... but I'd come off come cool stuff for it. =)

Not but I have it on floppy somewhere. I'll take a gander and include it in your box of stuff if I can find it. You still have an EA cart and PEB don't you ?

Of course I do. =) And I also have the game on disk... just fiendishly searching for it on cart. =) I actually got my grandmother's old PEB from her basement a couple weeks ago... Haven't had a chance to look through all the stuff she gave me, but there's tons of cassette tape software and diskette software. Hoping I can look through it when I get moved in to my new house. =)

Of course I do. =) And I also have the game on disk... just fiendishly searching for it on cart. =) I actually got my grandmother's old PEB from her basement a couple weeks ago... Haven't had a chance to look through all the stuff she gave me, but there's tons of cassette tape software and diskette software. Hoping I can look through it when I get moved in to my new house. =)

OK then I'll skip that one. They show up on Ebay every now and then you just have to keep your eyes peeled I guess. I had one a couple three years ago but since I'm not into the carts that much I unloaded it. In fact I bet I don't own but maybe 5 original game carts. Pretty pathetic in TI terms, know ;-)...