IGNORED

Space Battle Based on the Intellivision version

1980gamer

I am currently working on making Space Battle for the TI.

It has a help screen, radar screen and battle screen.

Still needs sound, firing animation, alliens shooting back, on the radar screen, needs battle to continue even when you are not engaged.

I have only made 1 on-screen ship intelligent, the other 2 are random start point and single direction.

I will need to play the Intellivision version a few time to get more detail. I have played it for MANY years...

With the help screen, is it playable, or to difficult to remember keys?

Thanks,

Gene

Oh, this is joystick controlled, the Q key fires. I think the joystick button will work too.

I don't have one to test with a present.

BATTLE.zip

• Like 3

battle2_zpsd6ff8a78.png

battle1_zps2d5eff64.png

I'm having a bit of trouble when I try to engage the red fighters... It causes a breakpoint. I haven't examined your code yet to determine if you're remapping any keys yet, but it's acting like I'm using FCT+4 causing it to break. Usually it happens if I'm using the joystick at the same time I try to press "4"

battle3_zpsb2921db9.png

Have you experienced anything like that?

Edited by Opry99er

Good catch,

Being as the joystick doesn't do anything on the radar screen, I never tested this!

I don't have a clue how to fix it yet,,, Less an on-break.

I would not dream of using on-break while still working on the game!

I'll see what I can do. on the radar screen, I just press S to select a cluster, 1 to deploy the red squadron and 4 when they overlap.

Until your squad engages the alien cluster, it will buzz as invalid input.

I of course use all 3 squads... but for testing game play, you can just use 1....

Gene

The M and MM are tracking alien movement.

Every 10 cycles the aliens move closer your base.

The 1 and 2 alternate the X,Y movement.

On the battle screen, it tracks speed direction and pattern number etc. of the non-static ship.

This works pretty well with overdrive on.

I would like to compile, but I believe ARRAYS do not work. So, I'll have to find away around that!

Gene

I like the way it's looking.

Looking forward to testing this further as development continues.

As far as your HELP screen, as long as the keyboard response is good, the HELP screen is fine.

One thing I MIGHT consider (and take this for what you will) is rather than having 1,2, and 3 all deploying different squadrons and then 4,5, and 6 engaging the same squadrons, perhaps you could use 1,2, and 3 ubiquitously and using a CALL KEY for "D"eploy and "E"ngage.

Deploy red squadron--(D-1) ** Engage red squadron (E-1)

Deploy blue squadron--(D-2) .... etc.

Just a thought for ease of use. =) What you have there is fine... Don't take my suggestion as criticism.

Looking great!

Hi Owen.

That was my first thought as well.

But, I was trying to copy the intellivision controller. They had overlays to cover the number pad with the function of the key.

I see my memory failed me with squadron colors and 456 Return to base 789 Go to battle ( engage ) I like my colors.... I can change the keys easy enough!

post-7434-0-53548500-1365269558_thumb.jpg

I am currently working on making Space Battle for the TI.

It has a help screen, radar screen and battle screen.

Still needs sound, firing animation, alliens shooting back, on the radar screen, needs battle to continue even when you are not engaged.

Seeing this makes me want to pull my Intellivision out of the gaming closet :)

I would like to compile, but I believe ARRAYS do not work. So, I'll have to find away around that!

Gene

Hi Gene - Arrays work fine in the compiler, with the following caveat:

You cannot nest arrays, so line 30 below will not work:

10 DIM X(10)

20 DIM Y(20)

30 Z=X(Y(7)) !this is nested and will crash

35 T=Y(7)::Z=X(T) !not nested and should run fine

40 B(3,4,5) !is not nested and should work fine

Thanks Harry,

That is great to hear! I remembered reading something about arrays...But had not re-read the manual yet.

The speed will be hard to control on this! It's a great problem to have!! It's like making a million dollars a year and complaining about paying 3% more taxes than me!

Give me the burden!

Seeing this makes me want to pull my Intellivision out of the gaming closet :)

InsaneMultitasker, your should dust off the intellivision or at least an emulator!

Some great homebrews have come along! Christmas Carol, Donkey Kong and DIIK Donkey Kong hack.

Space Patrol (moon patrol on steriods) etc. etc.

Gene

Here is an update to Space Battle.

Added:

Star Field on the battle screen.

Enemy ships now fire and hit you

Fixed Squadron selection, you cannot select a defeated ( cleared ) enemy group

fixed tons of little bugs

If the enemy fighters reach your base, the game ends.

Still have a bunch to do on this, including playing a few games on the intellivision!

Hope some of you old school gamers remember this and enjoy it!

Gene

PS I am not happy with my methods of giving enemy ships attack patterns... Random doesn't look any better.

If you have created attack patterns in the past, I'd love to here about it!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Owen,

Thanks for checking my stuff out.

Looking forward to your next version of the Baseball Sim. I don't know anything about BBS? I don't know if I have time to check it out at the moment?

I have been playing with python on the rasberry pi. and also Game Maker for multiple platforms.. Mac, PC, iPad and phones. Cool tool.

So my TI time has been in spurts. I think I'll always come back to it, but it be cool to make something a lot of people play. ( ahhh to dream )

Gene

Edited by 1980gamer

Hey 1980 Gamer.... Bulletin Board Service.... There are still a couple BBS running for the TI... you can dial in via phone line on your TI and get on the message boards, download files, and play door games like battleship. And now Baseball. :)

If you don't have a modem, a Telnet client can get you into them, just not as cool. One of them has been running on real TI hardware for nearly 30 years straight... still has not faltered. :)

You ain't cool unless you get on the Hidden Reef, my friend....

Wonder if it's this one ? Took a look some 5 months ago.

Yes... That is the one. What did you think?

BBS's are still around? Wow, I used to use them a ton in the early 80's It was awesome when I could connect at 1200 baud!

TE II was 50 and 110 baud.. no?

My Mom worked for AT&T and got reimbursed for long distance calls.. I used to call all over the country. The C=64 days.

Still never got over the TI or Intellivision.. My first 2 systems.

Yea man... Still 2 BBS a up and rolling for the TI. Sign in with a 300 baud acoustic phone coupler if you want. :) I wouldn't recommend it though.

Yea, that's what im doing to the baseball game. I am making solid progress today... New user interface and stats-based match-ups are in place now... Just working on fine tuning. :)

and also Game Maker for multiple platforms.. Mac, PC, iPad and phones. Cool tool.

Wonder if it's this one ? Took a look some 5 months ago.

Yes... That is the one. What did you think?

Now it’s your thread so I guess the brief off topic is okay.

I’ve seen some 80% faster game development teasers, but I don’t see that happening. There’s always a learning curve and we take it differently coming from wherever. The Windows version is $39.99 and the Mac is $19.99. With the free versions, Mac can’t create executables, and Windows create watermarks. I’ve not researched the add-on export modules. Lots of examples and games to play. Anyway, there’s been many “game makers” around through the years (stos, amos, blitzbasic etc.). I don’t see anything really new as such, apart from a general evolution. Have you seen stencil and Sploder ?

I think I’m taking it both ways. Sticking somewhat with Java, C# and ActionScript, all of which has tools and extensions, and more importantly, you can, more than less, have it all for free. But also looking at what dedicated “game makers” have to offer. Not that I’m a game developer or part of the game industry.

You can prototype or completely develop TI games in any of the above, just stick with some of the old look and feel. I think I’ll try and explore that some more.

:)

I'll check out some of the others, but what I liked about game maker is it is as simple as choosing a new platform to have your game play on that platform.

I am looking to do something iPhone/iPad and other phones.

I am just playing right now. I don't consider myself a developer or designer, just a dabbler. I have always loved the TI.

When I saw the XB compiler, I started playing with the TI again. But, if I come up with a good idea, I'd like to find a larger audience.

But I am certain I'll always do stuff on the TI.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, it's been a while since I looked at this.... But with the recent Night Stalker remake, it made me think of this..

Source included below... I haven't looked at this for about 4 years I guess. But if someone wants to finish it... I'd play it!

I also was playing with a sonar ping sound for the radar screen. I think I remember some sounds with the scanner scenes, but I don't remember what they were...

post-7434-0-75980000-1524086268.png

post-7434-0-81399300-1524086986.png

post-7434-0-46504000-1524087000.png

SPACEBATTLE.txt

• Like 2