IGNORED

palomino (2600)

seemo

• 2 weeks later...

@roryjr & Nognir : thanks

Just wondering, is this an original idea or is it based on some flash game or something that I've missed? :)

When I started developing this game, I had no particular reference... I just started by making a game where square patterns got picked up randomly on the screen (see http://atariage.com/forums/blog/269/entry-10077-atlas-presents-palomino/), and evolved from that concept.

Anyway, it's not like you can develop a simple pattern-based puzzle game in 2013, and expect it to be completely original ;) ... take this great Jaguar Homebrew game for example (which I recently discovered)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O0QMamDdME

So yes, Palomino is a completely original game and... no, Palomino is not a completely original game :lolblue:

Is this game close to completion or do you still have stuff in mind to add to it?

- generating a random number of mixed-color patterns felt too uneven, so I reworked the code and made it possible to control the number of mixed-color patterns for each level ( 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 )

- since mixed-color patterns are part of the game difficulty progression now, they are not awarded twice the points anymore

- score values have been reduced

- the first levels are a little faster, and the last levels are a little slower now

- when bonus mode gets extended, the 'bonus mode' label gets briefly replaced by an 'extend !' label

- playfield movement directions should be more evenly distributed

peace

palomino_20130927.bin

Edited by seemo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

- I removed an audio variation to make the in-game 'music' more cohesive

- the playfield background color has been darkened

- the joystick control routine is now more accurate, resulting in a more precise cursor movement

- the cursor and the line are not shown when the game is over

- I reinstated cells movement when the line runs across the playfield.
To avoid skipping patterns (as shown in a previous post), whenever cells are moved I force the pattern checking routine to restart on the same column.
As a side effect, this causes the line to abruptly move back to the beginning of the column - to avoid this, the line is briefly hidden when the cells are moved.

- the timer has been made a little slower, to compensate for the increased difficulty due to the cells movement

- the first seconds of the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56qwIF01aA made me suspect that the 'full' colored pattern, displayed on top of the screen, induced the player to try to reproduce a 'full' pattern using 'striped' cells.

So, to avoid any confusion, the pattern to compose, and the next one below, are displayed with 'striped' colors if they are made of a single color, or with both colors if they are mixed-color patterns.

palomino_20140510.bin

• Like 6

• 10 months later...

Palomino is a great game, very impressed with robotic talking, but the timer is

too fast for me. In a final version, it would be good to have a novice setting with the timer

slowed down, or not be on at all . It's still qaute a challenge to clear a level when area is

filling up with blocks and you have to start moving blocks out of the way to make the puzzle.

I always have three or four shapes to make, when the time runs out. Never cleared the first

level. This is my first post and I hope palomino isn't finished.

Yours on the Retro side. RETROLUX -

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

- I removed an audio variation to make the in-game 'music' more cohesive

- the playfield background color has been darkened

- the joystick control routine is now more accurate, resulting in a more precise cursor movement

- the cursor and the line are not shown when the game is over

- I reinstated cells movement when the line runs across the playfield.

To avoid skipping patterns (as shown in a previous post), whenever cells are moved I force the pattern checking routine to restart on the same column.

As a side effect, this causes the line to abruptly move back to the beginning of the column - to avoid this, the line is briefly hidden when the cells are moved.

- the timer has been made a little slower, to compensate for the increased difficulty due to the cells movement

- the first seconds of the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g56qwIF01aA made me suspect that the 'full' colored pattern, displayed on top of the screen, induced the player to try to reproduce a 'full' pattern using 'striped' cells.

So, to avoid any confusion, the pattern to compose, and the next one below, are displayed with 'striped' colors if they are made of a single color, or with both colors if they are mixed-color patterns.

Featured this morning on AFP GTG (Atari Flashback Portable: Good To Go)

• 1 year later...

Heya seemo, you may not see this since your profile says you haven't been active since 2015 but we'll be playing Palomino LIVE on this Friday's episode of ZeroPage Homebrew!!

Twitch LiveStream: http://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

Looking forward to playing it on the show on Friday, hope you can tune in (by some miracle)! The stream will start at 2PM PT/5PM ET. If you see this after we play it live it you can always check our YouTube archive for the video in the links below.

post-37205-0-50427000-1532459748_thumb.png

• Like 1

For sure Nathan! I love out of the box thinking for Atari 2600 games as there's so much untapped creative potential. I definitely need to check out more of Seemo's games as I've only played this, Lead and Omicron, all of which are astounding in their own right!

Nice to see more of Seemo's games getting attention. His take on 2600 programming is always so unique and cool.

• Like 1

Another of his I really like is Sync - which is a collection of reaction games that feature very cool music. It's not everybody's cup of tea (and the games take some effort to learn), but I think it's a highly-underrated and innovative group of games.

Seemo's one of the few programmers who has an instantly identifiable style. He doesn't try to take an existing game and fit into the 2600, he uses the strengths of the 2600 to create new games that are unique to the system.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

It looks like Sync did get a cart release (thanks for the updated info Thomas Jentzsch!). Here's the link to the Sync cart release that contains the 1K sync games plus more!

https://www.atari2600homebrew.com/sync.html

Plus you can buy it on cart in the AA Store!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=877

I just played the 4K version on the show yesterday and I'll be playing the full 16K version in an upcoming episode.

Wow. I can't believe I haven't heard of seemo until this week. It's a shame this game never got a cart release. Does anyone have contact info for seemo?

Edited by cimmerian
  • Like 1

It looks like Sync did get a cart release (thanks for the updated info Thomas Jentzsch!). Here's the link to the Sync cart release that contains the 1K sync games plus more!

https://www.atari2600homebrew.com/sync.html

Plus you can buy it on cart in the AA Store!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=877

I just played the 4K version on the show yesterday and I'll be playing the full 16K version in an upcoming episode.

I linked to the store version in the earlier post. :) Anyway, if you have any questions about the games in the store version, let me know. I helped write the manual (not easy for games that are abstract).

• Like 2

It's fun once in a while to play a game that is not just a straight forward 'shoot everything that moves' and this was definitely one of those. Very fun and challenging, even when we figured it out!

Looking forward to playing the full 16K version (minus the mini-games we've already played) especially since it supports audio through the AtariVox in addition to the in game sounds!

Just watched the YouTube video of you playing Sync. It was fun watching you guys figuring them out. icon_smile.gif

The full version has those four mini-games, plus expanded versions of Jitter and Flow, plus a (harder) variation of Jitter called Mantra.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...