IGNORED

A2600 Music

Der Luchs

Hi Folks,

I think I've figured it out :-D

I've used 2 Channels.

Now I need a Coder who can tell me, that my Data works in his Code.

Music currently occupies 226 bytes of data.

But first I need to know, should I save it as a .bas File? :?

Here's how it should Sounds like:

Horror Game Music:

http://www.atari-lynx.de/A2600/a2600song1.mp3

• Like 1

Hey, that is nice tune! Good composition. And it does sound like "Horror" music.

Is your data binary or stored as bBasic code? To avoid confusion, I think you would only use .bas if the music is part of bB compiler compatible code?

What do you mean will your data work in someone elses code?

Thanks, I thought you need a Musician too here ^^

I used the "Music and Sound Editor" in VisualbB for this Melody.

I'm not a Coder, just Musician, if I compose something for the Lynx, I export the Project as a ASM Data for the Coder,

so what do you need for the A2600 or better how should I export it, if I want to send someone the "Melody" for a Game?

But how can I export the Music from VisualbB for a Coder?

Or do a Coder only needs the Stuff the VisualbB is writing?

Is it enough to send this Code as a txt?

Edited by Der Luchs
  • Like 1

" actually quiet-awesome music"... did i linked the wrong mp3s?... let's see... nope :-D

It's just the sounds from the VisualbB and I'm using 2 Channels that's all...

To answer your questions, let's change the sides ;)

How is to possible to code a game on the A2600? Are you guys just super-creative or is there some trick up your sleeve?

The answer of both questions: you spend most of your time on coding and theory and I spend my time on making music and theroy ;)

That's the deal :thumbsup:

Edited by Der Luchs

The artist is composing music using the "Music and Sound Editor" available in Visual bB. They are taking full advantage of the flexibilty and sophistication of that editor. Including the "dual channel" mode I assume. It really is a good tool for producing impressive 2600 music.

K, over 150 Views, I think most of the Coders know this Topic now.

Because of this, to all A2600 Coders:

Do you need me here, to compose some Tunes for your Games or will you handle it by yourself?

No problem if you wanna compose by yourself, then I will concentrate on the Lynx Coders and

don't need to look here anymore ;)

Or as "the Clash" would say: "Should I stay or should I go" :grin:

• Like 1

Hehe,

I may sooner or later need some nice tune. Do you do SFX as well? I know this is more doable to us coders, I was just wondering.

That would require a) having a 1 channel only tune and the 2nd chan reserved for SFX or rather b) have a tune on 2 chans that can live with one of them being occupied every now and then by SFX.

B means: keep beat on one chan, melody on the other, i.e.

I assume all of your tunes update ONCE per frame? Im not too familiar with BatariBasic but 1x speed tunes would be the only reasonable thing. So if this question sounds weird, the answer is 'yes' ;-)

Composers for the 2600 are somewhat I rare I think (for a reason ;-)

I have one game-project and one demo-project pending.

Both my first attempts on the 2600, neither using Batari Basic. But I guess it's player is rather simple and the format seems okayish too (judging by your ASCII post).

There ARE 'tracker' styled players around.

like http://www.qotile.net/sequencer.html

But you'd need some simple 'Assembler Setup' for a proper test-loop...

Cheers!

Ahhh, very good, a coder who can explain me everything in my language :thumbsup:

I may sooner or later need some nice tune. Do you do SFX as well? I know this is more doable to us coders, I was just wondering.

I don't know if I could make some SFX for the A2600, I would say if VisualbB allows me to do it, "yes I can" ^^

I do the SFX for Lynx Games as well.

That would require a) having a 1 channel only tune and the 2nd chan reserved for SFX or rather b) have a tune on 2 chans that can live with one of them being occupied every now and then by SFX.

B means: keep beat on one chan, melody on the other, i.e.

Yes, it's the same as for the Lynx ;-) A whole Channel for SFX or the SFX "overwrites" the Instrument

I assume all of your tunes update ONCE per frame? Im not too familiar with BatariBasic but 1x speed tunes would be the only reasonable thing. So if this question sounds weird, the answer is 'yes' ;-)

YES :-D :-D :-D

Composers for the 2600 are somewhat I rare I think (for a reason ;-)

That's why I wanna help you out :thumbsup:

I have one game-project and one demo-project pending.

Both my first attempts on the 2600, neither using Batari Basic. But I guess it's player is rather simple and the format seems okayish too (judging by your ASCII post).

Ok :-D

There ARE 'tracker' styled players around.

like http://www.qotile.net/sequencer.html

But you'd need some simple 'Assembler Setup' for a proper test-loop...

Don't need another Tracker anymore, now I figured it out how it works and it's really funny to make music this way too ;)

Personally I prefer 'melodic' tunes alot.

I.e. I love the MoonPatrol tune or the short part in Commando during gameplay :)

The songs you linked here seem to have some 'quirks' or glitches sometimes, is that an issue of recording or just my browser freaking out?

It's because of the Emulator. If you want to listen to it at VisualbB, you need to test it in "Stella".

I think the Soundcart/chip emulation isn't the best. If I play a game in it, it shows the same glitches.

I don't have a Flashcart for the A2600, so this is the only way for me to listen and record it.

That's why I want someone who test the BAS Data I'd posted.

Edited by Der Luchs