IGNORED

File Manager for Atari 8 bit

abraXXious

Hey guys,

now that I have my 1mb Ultimate, Sio2sd and Stereo Pokey on the way for my XE I figure I will shortly be in need of a decent file manager. Can someone please suggest a good, easy to use file manager for the 8 bit series?

Also, a good ASMA (thats the pokey sound format?) player and other good utils such as picture viewers etc?

Thanks.

You get MENU.COM built in, and nice though this is, Sparta Commander is somewhat more capable and is actively developed. You can download it here:

http://www.atari.org.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7988&p=9

The site's in Polish, but you should be able to spot the download links.

U1MB has SpartaDOS X built in, yes.

SDX is SpartaDosX

80 columns wihtout VBXE can be done by configuring SDX like described in the installation instructions of SC. Remember that it still is Beta.

You can download the Spartacommander there (without registration): http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_download

Download the toolkit.atr. In the directory "SHELLS" you find SC091.ARC, unpack it (on Atari, not PC/MAC) with "ARC -E SC091.ARC", then read the installation instructions for details ("LESS INSTALL.TXT").

Afaik,

the Sparta Commander works only with SpartaDOS filesystem (SpartaDOS, SDX, RealDOS, BeweDOS - maybe even only under SDX?), whereas Atari Commander works only under DOS 2.x filesystem (DOS 2.0, DOS 2.5, Happy-DOS, MyDOS, Bibo-DOS, Turbo-DOS, Super-DOS, etc.). There are quite many file managers that only work under a certain DOS (e.g. only MyDOS)...

Attached you can find some file-managers for the A8 (read the texts to find out for which DOS version they were written; most of them are for DOS 2.x types, some do however require a certain DOS type)...

-Andreas Koch.

file_managers.zip

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Afaik,

the Sparta Commander works only with SpartaDOS filesystem (SpartaDOS, SDX, RealDOS, BeweDOS - maybe even only under SDX?), whereas Atari Commander works only under DOS 2.x filesystem (DOS 2.0, DOS 2.5, Happy-DOS, MyDOS, Bibo-DOS, Turbo-DOS, Super-DOS, etc.). There are quite many file managers that only work under a certain DOS (e.g. only MyDOS)...

Attached you can find some file-managers for the A8 (read the texts to find out for which DOS version they were written; most of them are for DOS 2.x types, some do however require a certain DOS type)...

-Andreas Koch.

thanks

the Sparta Commander works only with SpartaDOS filesystem

Not true. SC works with any file system which is handled by SpartaDOS X. Currently: SDFS, AtariDOS/MyDOS FS, Indus CP/M FS, FAT12, FAT16. You have to load appropriate driver to make the SpartaDOS X (including SC) access a specific file system.

• Like 1