IGNORED

Is the Venezuala source bigger than the O'Shea's source?

homerwannabee

5: No, Spectravisions computer software doesn't run on the CompuMate.

There's only two CompuMate tapes for the VCS, Picturemate and Songmate.

By the way, these Spectravideo CompuMates from Venezuela (or perhaps all Compumates?) tend to have faulty keyboards. The membrane touchpads don't hold up, so think twice before purchasing one!

I too have to say good work. Looks like you found most of the puzzle. I however wonder about the last part.

The court order says 2,500 Nintendo products, so there must have been a massive Nintendo stock. On eBay I've seen only a few Nintendo items, so maybe only the Nintendo stuff was destroyed and everything else left in the warehouse or sold off?

It's also not entirely sure yet where they got the Atari and Intellivision stock from. They have

Atari 2600

- Atari Corp.

- Activision

- Coleco

- Spectravision (early name from 1981 before they were renamed to Spectravideo)

Atari 5200

- Atari Corp.

Intellivision

- Intellivision Inc.

- Activision

- Imagic

- Coleco

My guess is that the Atari Corp. stock was liquidated around 1992 or later and then shipped to Venezuela. They don't have any early Atari Inc. or 1985/1986 releases, only 1987-1990 stock, so Atari Mundial did not receive regular stock.

The Activision and Coleco games are tricky.

"The new company, Intellivision Inc., was mainly concerned with liquidating the existing inventory of Mattel game cartridges, keeping the larger toy stores supplied and selling through mail order. They also bought up remaining Intellivision-cartridge inventory from Imagic, Activision, Parker Bros., Atari and Interphase."

(http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/games/credits/intv.shtml)

So it is likely that Intellivision Inc. liquidated that stock to Venezuela. They sold off some old Mattel Inc. and new Intellivision Inc. stock. There are no late release INTV Corp. games in Venezuela, so the stock was shipped in the mid 80s to Venezuela, not after INTV Corp. went out of business.

The fact that Intellivision Inc. bought up the Imagic stock and the fact that there are no Atari 2600 Imagic games makes it likely that Intellivision Inc. sold off the Activision and Imagic stock to Venezuela.

It's also interesting that the games say Spectravision and not Spectravideo. So these games were not liquidated after the crash but more likely sold off in South America because of the lawsuit.

Maybe some of the Intellivision guys remember if/when they liquidated stock to Venezuela.

• Like 1

Very nice research on this topic. Thanks for sharing it.

Something I'm wondering about how it would fit into this, though, is the M-Network Tron joysticks. These were available only via M-Network as a mail-order item in the U.S., but NOS ones have been sold from Venezuela.

It doesn't seem like it could have been retail overstock, since it was never available via retail outlets (to my knowledge).

Something I'm wondering about how it would fit into this, though, is the M-Network Tron joysticks. These were available only via M-Network as a mail-order item in the U.S., but NOS ones have been sold from Venezuela.

Maybe those were inherited by Intellivision Inc. from Mattel Inc. together with the Intellivision stuff and then liquidated?

• Like 1

In July 2000, one copyright company finally obtained resolution to a civil copyright infringement case which was originally filed in July 1995.4 The Superior Civil and Mercantile Court of Caracas issued a 46-page decision in favor of Nintendo of America (NOA) against Atari Mundial, a retail outlet store, and a number of its retailers, for distributing counterfeit hardware and software. While the initial court decisions was in Nintendos favor, numerous appeals were filed by Atari Mundial. As a result of this decision, the court upheld Nintendos copyrights in a long list of game titles, ordered the seizure and destruction of infringing games, and issued an injunction against all the defendants on the manufacture or sale of the identified games.

Excellent discovery and analysis! People tend to overlook court records as a source for research, but all sorts of interesting things can be found there.

nicely done. the puzzle unfolds further! :)

but I don't know about the tron joysticks going through big lots. can Anyone say they bought some back then?

Odd Lots bought the entire rights and inventory of Mattel Electronics, including the Atari 2600 stuff.

So it is logical that they also got the Tron joysticks.

fair enough. especially the nos loose sticks in bags, but weren't there cib sets of tron joysticks with the game(s) coming out of vz?

I guess I figured odd/big lots would have distributed those to their stores with all the other items they had back in the early 90's.

I suppose anything's possible :)

I'm not sure if this is related but my mother lives on Ebay and for Christmas this year she ordered three boxed games from Ven. They were Bobby is Going Home, Mission AD 3000 and Open Sesame. All three boxes were the Taiwan Cooper boxes and did have price tags. If pics are needed I can get them in the next few days. All the boxes are in 9/10 condition thank goodness and like other folks here they were opened and inspected by the US government. (something my mother gets a kick out of)

Edited by AudriSampson

• 5 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is related but my mother lives on Ebay and for Christmas this year she ordered three boxed games from Ven. They were Bobby is Going Home, Mission AD 3000 and Open Sesame. All three boxes were the Taiwan Cooper boxes and did have price tags. If pics are needed I can get them in the next few days. All the boxes are in 9/10 condition thank goodness and like other folks here they were opened and inspected by the US government. (something my mother gets a kick out of)

I was almost going to buy that copy of Bobby is Going home. It was right before Christmas, I believe. It came in a red box. I think it sold for 15 or 16 bucks. I decided not to buy it because I really cant spend money on hobbies right now with my current employment and financial situation. But after it had ended, I had non-buyers remourse for a little while. I dont have any games from that company, especially new in the box. I guess I still am undecided if I made the right decision in not buying or not.

I was almost going to buy that copy of Bobby is Going home. It was right before Christmas, I believe. It came in a red box. I think it sold for 15 or 16 bucks. I decided not to buy it because I really cant spend money on hobbies right now with my current employment and financial situation. But after it had ended, I had non-buyers remourse for a little while. I dont have any games from that company, especially new in the box. I guess I still am undecided if I made the right decision in not buying or not.

Well I hope it isn't in bad taste to be glad you didn't. They ended being in amazing condition and short of Customs checking them out came in quite nicely. Great pieces in the collection.

There are a bunch of cib auctions on ebay right now from Venezuela

Yeah I am kind of new to this--have they had TurboGrafx stuff before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271412437021?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Boxed games and actual good titles. There's another few TG16 auctions that have a slight title variation. I hardly even see boxed stuff on ebay.

Yeah I am kind of new to this--have they had TurboGrafx stuff before?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271412437021?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Boxed games and actual good titles. There's another few TG16 auctions that have a slight title variation. I hardly even see boxed stuff on ebay.

They have had TG-16 stuff since the beginning. Unfortunately, the ones I received from them in the past were badly crushed and damaged and had moisture and mold issues. The common games they are selling are readily available from other non-Venezuelan sellers on Ebay in much nicer shape.

They have had TG-16 stuff since the beginning. Unfortunately, the ones I received from them in the past were badly crushed and damaged and had moisture and mold issues. The common games they are selling are readily available from other non-Venezuelan sellers on Ebay in much nicer shape.

That is good to know, thank you. Though I bet this auction ends way over my head anyway I'd have eaten some of the commons to get a good average price on all of the games.

I had gotten copies of Pac-Man and Donkey Kong for Commodore 64 at one time from there. They came in those really large boxes instead of the smaller ones. I opened them to play and was surprised how ugly the connector pins looked. Those thin boxes and plastic don't really protect the games from the elements I'm guessing temperature-wise.