IGNORED

what is a copy card 7.0 for atari 1050

Marius

In one of my 1050's I found a green PCB with on it a 6502 CPU and a 6264 RAM chip.

I guess this is some kind of Happy print, where the 6264 is a track buffer and the 6502 is a replacement of the 6507.

On the PCB is also an eprom and a few TTL. I can not identify the TTL's since the creator of this card scratched of the numbers on it.

On the print i read Copy Card 7.0

Somewhere it does ring a bell... I believe it is a 'special' version of the Happy, but I'm not sure.

Strange enough it appears to be very incompatible with the HS routine, since both the BlackBox and the IDE+ do not want to boot this 1050 on High Speed with it (I get an error).

Hey thanks!

I'll try to dump the eprom soon. But for now:

1. My eprom is 16K, your Eprom is 8K

2. the Two TTL's on the upperleft corner are not installed here (74LS74 and 74LS02).

3. I do not have wires connected to the most upperleft corner of the PCB. Are these for a track-display or something?

Besides these 3 differences, I think my board is the same.

I'll try to dump the eprom soon. But for now:

1. My eprom is 16K, your Eprom is 8K

2. the Two TTL's on the upperleft corner are not installed here (74LS74 and 74LS02).

3. I do not have wires connected to the most upperleft corner of the PCB. Are these for a track-display or something?

Your 16K eprom is most likely divided in 2 blocks, 8K each. One block contains the OS with ultraspeed IO routines, the other block the standard 1050 mode (sometimes needed for loading copyprotected disks). You can switch between both versions using pin 26 (the highest adress line). On your board this pin is probably connected to 5V (pin 28) through a resistor (ranging from 3,3K to 4,7K) and via a wire to GND. If that's the case, you can put a switch between pin 26 and GND to switch to 1050 mode. If the switch is open the drive is in 1050 mode. Power off before switching modes!

It will be interesting to see what your eprom dump contains.

The LS74 and LS02 are used for 3 LEDs that indicate the density of a disk (SD, ED, DD). These LEDs are connected through the wires you see on the photo. Beware that each LED needs a current limiting resistor (something like 390R to 470R), and these are not fitted on the board on the photo. I can only presume the resistors are soldered directly to the LEDs.

It's hard to tell if fitting a track display is possible, you'll need driver IC's for 2 digits to do so. The open space and holes do look inviting, but you need to know precisely what driver IC goes in there. It will be quite a job trying to figure out which digit's segment to fit to which pin of the driver IC.

re-atari

Edited by re-atari

• 8 years later...