IGNORED

Dragoncart software

Hi Folks. I've made some good progress lately converting the IP65 stack. Attached is a ATR that has the latest software on it.

DHCPTEST.COM : does a DHCP request and prints out the config info.

ETHDUMP.COM : goes into promiscuous mode and dumps some header info on each packet it sees.

PING.COM : standard ping program, args are dns or ip to ping and the count of pings you want.

TELNET.COM : a semi-finished telnet client. Args are dns or ip to contact and port to contact on. I've had luck with using several BBS's, notably these :

The Boot Factory

telnet://bfbbs.dtdns.net

Dark Force BBS (Run on a Mega 2 ST)

telnet://darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org

The TELNET client is pretty primitive as of yet, doesn't do a lot of ANSI handling or special character conversions, so you can get some kind of messy screens, but works well enough to get on a bbs and mess around.

I will post new stuff in this thread as I get it developed.

Please let me know if you have any issues using these.

IP65.atr

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

YEAH!

I managed to get it working, FINALLY.

Took me some days to figure out to call "ip65_process" even when you only want to SEND a datagram :)

What I have now working is, a simple UDP ping-pong between my Linux box (running a simple server) and the 800XL.

10 A8 sends byte value to server
 20 server does "+1" and sends back to A8 (and does some time measuring and printing)
 30 A8 does "*2" and sends to server
 40 GOTO 20: REM :-)

Now I can finally make some tests to check what really can be done with it.

Happy times ahead, so I hope.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

No, w1k, this project, which is my own personal attempts to write software for the dragoncart, is just a slow project.

Status update : I am currently working on an FTP program. I discovered that IP65 is actually only geared for 1 TCP connection, and FTP requires at least 2 simultaneous connections. So I am re-writing the TCP layer of IP65 to be able to handle up to 4 connections. Once I get that done, then the FTP program should be viable. I will upload the new TCP code when I get it done.

Edited by danwinslow
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

heh, any chance to new series of Dragon Cart?

I know I haven't been real active on the forums lately, I haven't had a lot of free time lately.

I would still like to get another run of Dragon carts going. I have the schematic complete and the parts selected for a single board cart. In fact, I found a very low profile RJ45 that should allow the board to fit in a standard cart shell (the kind Steve Tucker uses) with only the top of the cartridge needing a notch. There was also some discussion of having a top connector and a side connector option, but that would require two different board layouts.

So, to get another run going, what I need to do is layout the board and find a manufacturer. I just don't know when I will have time to do that. I would like to find some help with that so if anyone is interested, or knows anyone that can do that, please let me know. It's very time consuming and the low profile RJ45 has a very precise footprint, so I need someone with some circuit board / CAD experience to do the work. I would like to get more carts made before the supply of cs8900s dry up.

• Like 2

Mark - should I buy up some cs8900's? Where were you sourcing them from?

I was thinking about that too. The two most logical places to get them from are digikey.com and / or mouser.com. We need the 5 volt part which is the CS8900A-CQZ. Both places have lots of the 3 volt version but not so many of the 5 volt. Mouser says they have 250 on order and due in March. Digikey is only showing 7. I will check, but I think cirrus logic has the chip at end of life. I think we will be able to find enough, but the clock might be ticking.

I will also do a search and see if I can source them somewhere else.

Sorry for the double post.

I went on cirrus logic's website (cirrus.com) and It looks like the original CS8900a has been discontinued, but the CS8900a-cqz, cs8900a-cq3z are still current parts, so we should be ok.

If you go to this link: http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/cs8900a.html and click "Purchase now" you can see the stock of the suppliers. Avnet Express looks like they have the best price but they are on order, and I have never ordered anything from them. At any rate, I will keep an eye on the supply.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

why new hw working..? software doesnt exist..

We do not agree a lot of times; but this time we do agree.

I buy almost anything new that comes out for a8, but that dragon cart is the only device I never enjoyed. Software is crappy or doesn't work at all.

So indeed, perhaps it's better to focus on the software side? Or is the hardware not capable and is hardware improvement needed?

I'm still interested in the project, but as long as even a rather simple task like telnet is not really usable, then I'm afraid this is a dead-track.

We do not agree a lot of times; but this time we do agree.

I buy almost anything new that comes out for a8, but that dragon cart is the only device I never enjoyed. Software is crappy or doesn't work at all.

So indeed, perhaps it's better to focus on the software side? Or is the hardware not capable and is hardware improvement needed?

I'm still interested in the project, but as long as even a rather simple task like telnet is not really usable, then I'm afraid this is a dead-track.

My guess is that SW like Telnet, IRC, FTP - the SW which would be useable on an 8-bit - is rather useless.

Should such SW be developed, AFAIK some has already be done, most people would use it once and then never touch it again.

What would be used more often, would be games which uses the Internet. Be it for real online gaming or just uploading hi-scores or downloading additional levels.

Sure, this is only my view and it would be good if others have a different view, so that maybe we get basic Internet tools for those who might use them. You should check out Contiki.

I started a simple "Black Jack" game many month ago to get a better idea how it works (it is not your well-known socket API!) and what is possible.

Maybe I get around finishing it...

• Like 1

My guess is that SW like Telnet, IRC, FTP - the SW which would be useable on an 8-bit - is rather useless.

Should such SW be developed, AFAIK some has already be done, most people would use it once and then never touch it again.

Not here. I use a Lantronix MSS100 to visit bbs's … I do this quite a lot, but my Lantronix-stock is getting low, since they die all the time.

So I thought: why using a Lantronix, when the Dragoncart could do it too.

Unfortunately the telnet is so crappy that it is not usable.

I would love to see a good telnet for a8, although I also appreciate your idea's of gaming.

• Like 1

Oh... I have just tested the software from this thread, and the TELNET has improved since the last version I tested. It's still a tiny bit slow, but much much better than the software I have tested when I got that cart.

I talked too soon, and I want to apology for that.

I hope this project will improve further! A nice 80 column width telnet to connect more easy to darkforce bbs would be great!

• 1 month later...