IGNORED

Alien Inbound

GadgetUK

Thanks for support regards my health, it's funny how your priorities change when you become ill. I've had many bugs and viruses in my life but never anything as scary as this. Had chest infection so breathing affected, heart racing away out of control combined with breathing, plus feeling of doom / dispare... And no sleep for 3 days because of major migrane symptoms... I've had some sleep now so hopefully on the way to recovery...

Thanks for support regards my health, it's funny how your priorities change when you become ill. I've had many bugs and viruses in my life but never anything as scary as this. Had chest infection so breathing affected, heart racing away out of control combined with breathing, plus feeling of doom / dispare... And no sleep for 3 days because of major migrane symptoms... I've had some sleep now so hopefully on the way to recovery...

Hope you didn't get the Asian Bird Influenza that is making it's rounds again. :o Not nice stuff. :( Yuck.

Well done Gadget. How does one get to use it? with a lynx flashcard or is it only on the Handy? Excuse my ignorance.

You can use either handy or the flashcard. :)

@GadgeUK

So, I played the game a while and II think you should offer a manual along with it; there should be ones from the C64 online that you can modify.

Whzat irritated me at first was that I tried to move the character and nothing happened; before I understood that due to the game's time limit the walking from one place to the other takes time. You have to wait 5 seconds or so before the character is in the new spot. Since there seems to be no indication that the character is moving I would suggest adding something to the enhanced mode. Maybe move the sprite to the destination slowly, or maybe a pointed line from A to be that fills up point by point until the character has reached B.

Secondly, I don#t know what to do when I meet the alien. I picked attack but nothing seemed to happen. I tried to use the electric prod in slot 1, but nothing seemed to happen. The cat appeared on multiple occasions but the option to catch it did nothing.

I am also not sure if the airducts are implemented yet? I opened the grates everywhere but it did not give me an option to do anything.

Besides my problems of not understanding how it all works yet it seems to be an interesting game. For the enhanced mode I suggest having DerLuchs add some background music, with one channel free for voice samples if RAM allows it. I imagine it would be useful and cool to have a death scream when a character dies, this way the player immediately knows even if he has someone else selected. :)

Thanks 108.

As an aside I wonder if it's worth me buying a flashcard. I do prefer real hardware but don't know if there's enough aftermarket releases to warrent it????? I already own every commercial title and several PCBs, so I dont think it'd get much use.

Well, let's say this: There are quite a few aftermarket releases in the works, and the homebrew community in general is growing. But sure enough many of those games will probably get a card (or rather PCB-)release. Wyvern Tales, Green Little Quak-Quak, Karate World Tour, Space Ark, obschan's FPS project... maybe Lynx OPS too.

Yet there are other games available and in development that will probably not get a physical release. This one here, Pitfall!, Mortal Kombat II, Tiny Lynx Adventure, Solitaire, Poker, Clicks!, astle of Khon-gis and smaller games and demos in general.

You can use either handy or the flashcard. :)

@GadgeUK

So, I played the game a while and II think you should offer a manual along with it; there should be ones from the C64 online that you can modify.

Whzat irritated me at first was that I tried to move the character and nothing happened; before I understood that due to the game's time limit the walking from one place to the other takes time. You have to wait 5 seconds or so before the character is in the new spot. Since there seems to be no indication that the character is moving I would suggest adding something to the enhanced mode. Maybe move the sprite to the destination slowly, or maybe a pointed line from A to be that fills up point by point until the character has reached B.

Secondly, I don#t know what to do when I meet the alien. I picked attack but nothing seemed to happen. I tried to use the electric prod in slot 1, but nothing seemed to happen. The cat appeared on multiple occasions but the option to catch it did nothing.

I am also not sure if the airducts are implemented yet? I opened the grates everywhere but it did not give me an option to do anything.

Besides my problems of not understanding how it all works yet it seems to be an interesting game. For the enhanced mode I suggest having DerLuchs add some background music, with one channel free for voice samples if RAM allows it. I imagine it would be useful and cool to have a death scream when a character dies, this way the player immediately knows even if he has someone else selected. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it needs a manual - here's the speccy ver (ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-info/a/Alien.txt )

Regards attacking etc, it works just like the C64 version - it leaves you wondering lol... No, once you know that basically you attack, and then after a few seconds you can attack again - you will see the option vanish from menu and re-appear when you can attack again. Same with 'Catch Jones' - if you don't have cat box as primary item used the you just cannot catch him. I wondered why the 64 version did that when you can ever catch him unless you've got the item in the right slot and its basically related to the idea of having to swap between primary and secondary items, so you can think you might catch him when actually youve not even assigned the cat box to the first slot. Bottom line is whilst its a bit off putting to new comers its identical to the original in that way. If you have a weapon in slot 1, when you then attack you have more chance of damage and do more damage depending on weapon held in slot 1. Slot 2 is just a 'carry slot, if something is in it it wont get used. It's best to play in Alien+ mode btw as you can then see your items and a few other things - like a coloured dot to left of avatar showing health status.

Not sure we will be able to do samples but should be able to have some sound effects. I've added Der Luchs latest music into v0.4, and made more improvements etc. Tunnels arent implemented yet btw, that's one of the few things left on my list to do when I am better.

• Like 1

Well, let's say this: There are quite a few aftermarket releases in the works, and the homebrew community in general is growing. But sure enough many of those games will probably get a card (or rather PCB-)release. Wyvern Tales, Green Little Quak-Quak, Karate World Tour, Space Ark, obschan's FPS project... maybe Lynx OPS too.

Yet there are other games available and in development that will probably not get a physical release. This one here, Pitfall!, Mortal Kombat II, Tiny Lynx Adventure, Solitaire, Poker, Clicks!, astle of Khon-gis and smaller games and demos in general.

What I might do with Alien is produce a limited run of PCB's. So, I wouldnt sell the ROM with the PCB, I would sell a PCB with a socket for the chip. Then if anyone wants LynxOps or Alien or anything else putting on there I will seperately sell the EEPROM at cost. This isn't as dodgy as its supposed to sound - if I can get PCB's made for like $10, and a socket is $1, it would be like $11 for the board, and however many $ for EPROM. ie. pretty much a profitless run of cards just to be able to get a card out there. In summary, the plan is to produce my own cards and for games like Alien effectively give the game away - only cost being very cheap for the PCB. Likewise, if someone else wants to do that themselves i've got no problem with it.

Very nice rendition of the C64 version theme song in version 0.4. :)

About the samples, if they are too memory-intensive I am sure DerLuchs could create a death scream as a normal sound effect as well. It was not so much about it necessarily being a sample, but about the death scream being a good indication of a character's death. :)

What I might do with Alien is produce a limited run of PCB's. So, I wouldnt sell the ROM with the PCB, I would sell a PCB with a socket for the chip. Then if anyone wants LynxOps or Alien or anything else putting on there I will seperately sell the EEPROM at cost. This isn't as dodgy as its supposed to sound - if I can get PCB's made for like $10, and a socket is $1, it would be like $11 for the board, and however many $ for EPROM. ie. pretty much a profitless run of cards just to be able to get a card out there. In summary, the plan is to produce my own cards and for games like Alien effectively give the game away - only cost being very cheap for the PCB. Likewise, if someone else wants to do that themselves i've got no problem with it.

I'd buy one.