IGNORED

Alien Inbound

GadgetUK

Very nice, looking forward to the final (?) version of this! You definitely should showcase this on e-Jagfest, no excuses ;)

I am actually a bit embarrassed to go to e-Jagfest, because with both me and matashen having had almost no time to work on our stuff none of the games I presented last year is complete. Neither is the 1st person shooter from obschan, or Pitfall, or TLA. Life sometimes sucks. :(

Every homebrewer knows these feelings.. sorry I won't attend it myself.. got a weekend booked full with personal matters. We'll have to hook up another time :)

• Like 1

Looking sweet! Not sure how I am going to deal with the palette issues as the icons use palette obviously, and different text etc. Might be a problem because I've got next to no RAM left. Will have a go at adding the new images in soon. Not got time ATM as I am in the middle of a few other projects =\

• Like 1

Very nice, looking forward to the final (?) version of this! You definitely should showcase this on e-Jagfest, no excuses ;)

I'm afraid GadgetUKs reply made clear Alien would probably not be at eJagfest. But in the end it's my fault for being last minute with my part of the work. :/

Every homebrewer knows these feelings.. sorry I won't attend it myself.. got a weekend booked full with personal matters. We'll have to hook up another time :)

I hope we will. At least LX.NET will be there, which in all my years of homebrewing since I started with Pier Solar will be the very first time I meet anyone I have worked with! It's a real miracle how I managed to miss every appearance of the people I worked with, yet met other homebrewers I had no involvement with. I did meet Lynxman though, but I was never directly working with him, it was matashen who handled the PCB stuff with him.

Looking sweet! Not sure how I am going to deal with the palette issues as the icons use palette obviously, and different text etc. Might be a problem because I've got next to no RAM left. Will have a go at adding the new images in soon. Not got time ATM as I am in the middle of a few other projects =\

Hmh, I was preparing the icons in game palette. No different palette there, just the one used on the decks etc. So you should not need to worry about that. Only one mandatory palette change, between the Alien screen and everything else according to my plan. And one for the explosion if possible.

BTW, you talking about another project while nothing is announced yet makes me uneasy. I hope you are not giving up on the Lynx? Honestly, I think the C64 conversion route could be a goldmine for new life in the Lynx scene and allow a large array of great classics to be ported. I can send you a list. XD

Hmh, I was preparing the icons in game palette. No different palette there, just the one used on the decks etc. So you should not need to worry about that. Only one mandatory palette change, between the Alien screen and everything else according to my plan. And one for the explosion if possible.

BTW, you talking about another project while nothing is announced yet makes me uneasy. I hope you are not giving up on the Lynx? Honestly, I think the C64 conversion route could be a goldmine for new life in the Lynx scene and allow a large array of great classics to be ported. I can send you a list. XD

It's not a huge huge problem, it's just regards text colour and the icons for items and the icons that go bottom right - when the Alien is onscreen it's going to mean handling text colour differently and i've not got very many bytes to do it with. That was my main concern from the start really, that I can easily use a different palette but it needs to remain the same throughout or I would end up having to have code to handle text on one screen different from another. Now there's also the issue of palette related to items and icons, meaning they all need to use the same colours as the character images I think.

Regards other projects, I've been doing a lot of repairs and restorations to other systems etc - the Neo Geo has my attention at the moment lol. You can see some of my videos here:-

https://www.youtube.com/user/GadgetUK164/videos

I plan on finishing Alien ASAP and JackAttack. Haven't decided whether to go back and complete LynxOps (will need large portions rewritting following what i've learnt since then). I sort of want to do Kung Fu Master as well for the Lynx. I am also looking at an SD based flash card for the Lynx as a side project.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 2

But both palettes are mostly the same. All the colors for the colors for the portraits are in both Alien- and deck palettes. The Alien palette just adds some extra brown and leaves away som gray.

So maybe if I arrange the colors in a way that the portrait colors appear always as the same number color in both palettes it should eliminate the problem. Like Iarrange the light skin tone to be color #12 in both palettes, dark skin is color #13 in both, white is #14...

I spent some time on this yesterday to see if I could fudge something together for the Sunday of eJagFest but it raised some problems (i've PM'd you).

Basically the new images are so much more detailed that they take a lot more space up in RAM. For example, the buffer I used for the level images was sized in such a way it worked with all three levels, but now the enhanced level 2 you sent me uses up 40 / 50% more RAM. It's due to the RLE type compression used to store the images in RAM - if an image is really detailed and doesnt have repeating sections of the same colours etc it can use a lot more RAM up.

I also hit a problem with the avatar images due to the fact they are all in one segment at the moment, each with a different size in bytes due to RLE compression again. But the complication here is that the pointers to the images versus the pointers to the enhanced images in their own segment are different (obviously) - something I didnt plan for. So what I need to do is put all 7 avatars into their own segments - for both normal and enhanced images. Hopefully I should have enough segments. The benefit is that only 1 image will be loaded at a time for the avatars, which makes sense, and will free up some RAM for the level images.

Bottom line is once ive done a load of work to move some segments around and created 14 new segments for the avatars, then it should all fit into RAM OK.

Regards the palette, I will need to edit the icons and items to use the constant part of the palette - I dont think we should do two lots of items and icon images because I am going to start running out of segments, and i've got next to no RAM left to use pointers in the code instead. I will then need to stick the new palettes in there and some code to select font colour based on the palette selected. It's quite a bit of work so it could be weeks if not months before I get time to do all of this yet =/

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Say Gadget, any chance this could be the completed game we might get for the Lynx's 25th Anniversary? That would be awesome! I hope you are doing well. I know you kind of lost interest on this for a time, just wanted to check in. When is the official date of the Lynx 25th anniversay? Wiki says Sept/Oct 1989. Does that sound about right?

When the Lynx became 20 we celebrated it on October 11th. I believe the proto was already made at the beginning of the year with some kind of info leaking out before October. But on October 11th you could actually get your hands on a real Lynx so we chose this date 5 years ago.

--

Karri

It certainly should be complete before October (famous last words...). I am just waiting for 108 stars to finish chopping up the images. I did start trying to chop them up myself but had problems with the palette then being swapped out. I would have finished it by now but I've just not had time to do the work on the graphics cutting etc.

So what's the plans for this? Will it end up on a card or just be available via ROM? Would be some tricky licensing I'd think.

Anyway, great job. Love the Lynx and ALIEN! Always wanted to play the C64 *game* but never had the desire to get a Commodore!