IGNORED

Jaguar Hockey Legends 13 (JHL13) by Fredifredo of Jagware!

ggn

Ok, here's a copy/paste from the readme file, just grab the ROM from our website and have fun!

Jaguar Hockey Legends 2013 (JHL13)

----------------------------------

by Fredifredo of Jagware (ROM file analysing, experimenting, roster updating, testing)

and GGN of Reboot (editor programming, minor ROM file analysis)

About

-----

JHL13 is a hack of the very famous unreleased Jaguar game Brett Hull Hockey. This version features:

- Up to 32 players for teams

- new graphs

- Player Stats for 2011-12 season

- Hockey Legends players

- about 800 players with personal stats

- development started in January 2012, NHL Rosters updated up to 13th April 2013

- last player added: Jean-Gabriel Pageau of Ottawa

As most people know the game is playable but not 100% (there are some known bugs that can crash the game for example). What we did was maintain the compatibility while stretching the game engine as much as we could.

A huge chunk of work was done by Fredifredo alone, with a hex editor: he had to decipher a lot of tables and values, then make some changes to the ROM, uploading it to Skunkboard, testing... This was done a LOT of times until the game's patterns were deciphered.

Near the end of 2012, Fredi announced his ROM to Jagware and GGN started making an editor to speed up the process of editing a team. In the process, the team rosters were enhanced (originally it wasn't possible to add more players to one team, and a replaced player's name could not be bigger than the original one), a BPEG injector was developed (so you can replace a lot of the game's assets) and some other bits. The editor, as like with this ROM, is available from http://reboot.atari.org.

In closing, we hope you enjoy this release and stay tuned for more!

• Like 10

Hi everybody :)

Happy to see the few jaguar hockey fans enjoy it :)

JHL13 is a "very well work-in-progress version", may be if I can in october I will create JHL14 ...

The best way to make a better game is to have the ( complete ) source ....

Without : increase the number of teams is impossible ! ( sorry for Colombus, Phoenix, Nashville and Minnesota fans :( )

Goalies abilities were increase to counter "easy goals" but it seems the IA of the game is stronger...

Abilities were a mix from 3 sources ( the famous EA hockey game ; http://www.thehockeynews.com and Career players stats found on official League site )

Due to a bad bug, I forgot to add 2 players in New Jersey rosters ... sorry

Phoenix fans don't fire me : for about 10 months the original Winnipeg was changed by Phoenix, few weeks ago I choose to change it by the new Winnipeg franchise...

The "check" line became the 3rd line, so if you want to put some enforcers, you need to change your lines ...

Many thanks for playing the game :)

ps : Thank you GGN, and happy to see you're in the game with your favorite singer ;)

ps 2 : Quizz : Who are Joseph Pujol and Boumbo ?

• Like 2

Without : increase the number of teams is impossible ! ( sorry for Colombus, Phoenix, Nashville and Minnesota fans :( )

Due to a bad bug, I forgot to add 2 players in New Jersey rosters ... sorry

Phoenix fans don't fire me : for about 10 months the original Winnipeg was changed by Phoenix, few weeks ago I choose to change it by the new Winnipeg franchise...

Well, to be honest I'm not sure if that's the game's or editor's fault - I simply didn't have the time to verify all of Fredi's changes... If it's the editor's fault, it'll be addressed at a future release. But as is, it's still a massive amount of work from Fredi and he deserves all the praise he gets. Hope that we'll make a better release for next season :)

• Like 3

I just tried this one out, being a fan of the game. It's one of my most played Jag games, and, I've only had the, IMHO, inferior CD version as I couldn't get my BHH .cof file to load right to my skunkboard. Now I have the superior cart version with a new roster and teams! Very cool guys! This is one that definately would benefit from being on a cartridge with an eeprom though, so a season can be played and saved. I wish I had the burner and stuff to do it. But I'm loving this anyway!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

good job!

i have an issue with the editor: every version i have tried to load into the editor has produced an error, either that or it doesnt like 64 bit.

also what about the sound, the teams and players were exchanged but the old sounds are still there, is this something that could be changed?

also is the cd version could be patched up, i could donate the cdrecord image tracks if anyone could be bothered

good job!

i have an issue with the editor: every version i have tried to load into the editor has produced an error, either that or it doesnt like 64 bit.

Well, me and Fredi only tried one ROM file of the game, maybe different versions float around. I'll have to investigate. Would it be possible to give me your version's CRC32?

also what about the sound, the teams and players were exchanged but the old sounds are still there, is this something that could be changed?

The sounds are compressed with a proprietary codec, so I can only think of 2 ways to change them, a) Find the codec and start mapping out where the samples are and how to replace them, b) scrap every sampled sound in there and use a different codec, replacing the code that decompresses the samples inside the game.

Both are not impossible to do, just really time consuming and well, I'm not up to investing so many hours on it.

also is the cd version could be patched up, i could donate the cdrecord image tracks if anyone could be bothered

It's impossible for me to comment without taking a look at it first. There's a good possibility that the data is laid out exactly like the cart version so it'd be an "easy" thing to do. (of course we'd have to get around lots of hurdles like say converting the cdrecord image to .cdi, and many many more).

Bottom line for me? I have way too many unfinished things lying on my hard disk to add more (and more so, not so trivial as this one). So if there are any other takers for this, maybe I could give them some pointers...

Edited by ggn

It's impossible for me to comment without taking a look at it first

From what I've heard this thing crashes all over the place, randomly - which makes it sound somewhat like SoulStar, where to make it stable the entire load code had to be replaced, CRC checks added, and retries if the JagCD decides it's too warm that day, or Mercury is out of alignment with Jupiter, or a cat walked past the house outside.

Which, given that the ROM works, all sounds like far too much effort.

• Like 5

ok just spent a few minutes today, the reason my copy wasnt loading up in the editor is that it had no header on the rom, just the game. after adding a quick header with jiffi the editor alowed access.

perhaps i stripped it off for some reason at an earlier point, i cant remember....

oh well it works now :)

• Like 2

Don't forget "JHL 13" is like a work in progress version only to show what is possible to do with BHH editor and to release some works before stats become obsolete !

The "easy work" to do for JHL14 could be :

- Change all background graphs

- Update Rosters one or 2 months after the start of the real season ( to reduce wrong rosters and having some good lines )

- Change "teams comments" ( put them in real english ;) )

- Create a new screen title

As ggn said, do others mods needs a lot of "hard" works and a lot of times !

• Like 6

What would be cool, if the rom memory is available, would to have different background graphics resembling each team's home rink. Also maybe changing the Jaguar game adverts, though I don't just want them replaced with mainstream ads either, but maybe different Jag games, or developer ads (for current home-brew stuff). One thing that needs fixing is the horrible "crowd" textures around the rink.

Or if it's simpler, change the ads around the rink to home-team props, so if you are playing at Chicago, then the ads will say black hawks with their logos, maybe previous championship banners, etc.

Edited by Gunstar

Don't forget "JHL 13" is like a work in progress version only to show what is possible to do with BHH editor and to release some works before stats become obsolete !

The "easy work" to do for JHL14 could be :

- Change all background graphs

- Update Rosters one or 2 months after the start of the real season ( to reduce wrong rosters and having some good lines )

- Change "teams comments" ( put them in real english ;) )

- Create a new screen title

As ggn said, do others mods needs a lot of "hard" works and a lot of times !

So for next years version, are you going to be able to readjust the leagues to match the realignment that's up coming??

What would be cool, if the rom memory is available, would to have different background graphics resembling each team's home rink. Also maybe changing the Jaguar game adverts, though I don't just want them replaced with mainstream ads either, but maybe different Jag games, or developer ads (for current home-brew stuff). One thing that needs fixing is the horrible "crowd" textures around the rink.

Or if it's simpler, change the ads around the rink to home-team props, so if you are playing at Chicago, then the ads will say black hawks with their logos, maybe previous championship banners, etc.

Patches welcome ;)

(totally forgot I've written a quick'n'dirty picture displayer so you can see all bpeg compressed pictures from the ROM. If anyone's serious about contributing, let me know and I'll upload it somewhere!)

Patches welcome ;)

(totally forgot I've written a quick'n'dirty picture displayer so you can see all bpeg compressed pictures from the ROM. If anyone's serious about contributing, let me know and I'll upload it somewhere!)

I've downloaded the editor and will look into it, but I'm by no means a programmer, so hopefully I can figure it out. I'm assuming that since you said "patches welcome" that the things I mentioned can be done with the editor already, and not something you have to work on further to allow this "easy work."

• 4 months later...