IGNORED

Super Game Module second run

opcode

Just a quick public note of interest: I just finished sending e-mails to all my customers, and I pointed them to this thread. This is all I can do to maximize public awareness of the second run of SGMs outside the AtariAge forums. :)

Much appreciated!

Is there any plans in the future to re-release Dragon’s Lair, Zaxxon the Supergame, and the coming soon Buck Rogers the Supergame with a cartridge that has flash memory so that the original hall of fame screen can be ported over?

In a word, no.

Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game were ported well before Opcode finished the design of the Super Game Cartridge PCB, and so at the time, all we had to work with was the Opcode MegaCart, which as you know doesn't have any savegame memory feature. And even though the Super Game Cartridge is now available, I'm not really interested in it because, unlike the original MegaCart, no emulator supports this new hardware, and the AtariMax SD cartridge doesn't support it either. This makes beta-testing more difficult, and therefore less interesting for a ColecoVision homebrew publisher like myself.

And aside from the fact that I consider Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game finished and behind me, there's also another reason why you won't see me "revisit" those two games: My days as publisher of outsourced CV games are numbered. The "outsourced" projects currently listed on my web site are the only projects I'm willing to see through to the end, and after those are done, I'm done with outsourced projects altogether. I've been publishing other people's games for a few years now, and while I'm very, very proud of the work accomplished, I have to admit that releasing 6+ games per year is starting to get old, and the urge to do something else is growing with each passing day. Next Christmas I will release 5 or 6 new games, and next year I will release whatever game is left on my to-do list (one or two games only; Jewel Panic may be moved from 2013 to 2014, not sure yet) and that will be it. (And no, Riddle of the Sphinx won't ever be programmed and released, for those who still had a glimmer of hope about that game).

But beyond that, I'd like to address your post directly: You're telling me you basically like the idea of the Adam Super Games being released on cartridge, but you won't buy them yourself just because the Hall of Fame doesn't get saved on the cartridge? I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid. Seriously, what age are you? Do you bring people to your home, boot up the Adam games and show them the Hall of Fame screens just so you can brag about your high scores? The Hall of Fame screens are stil present in the cartridge editions, so if high scores are that important to you, you can just note them down on a piece of paper and store this paper inside the game's box. I'm pretty sure most owners of Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game never bother to do this because let's face it, beating high scores is a much more shallow satisfaction today than it was when we were kids. It's just not that important. And that's why using a regular MegaCart for the cart editions of Adam Super Games is definately not something that will make me bite my fingers and keep me up at night.

Do yourself a favor, and enjoy what is being offered to you, instead of sitting on the sidelines wishing for absolute perfection.

Seriously man, you bug me. :|

EDIT: I realize that you already own Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game on DDPs or floppies, and that's more than enough of a good reason not to purchase the cart editions, but you still bug me. :twisted:

Edited by Pixelboy
  • Like 8

Can you clarify this statement a bit? It sounds like you will no longer be publishing any games. What do you consider "outsourced"? I know there is a list on your page of "outsourced" games, but if not these...what will you be publishing???

My days as publisher of outsourced CV games are numbered. The "outsourced" projects currently listed on my web site are the only projects I'm willing to see through to the end, and after those are done, I'm done with outsourced projects altogether.

• Like 1

So there is a Hall of Fame screen in the cartridge versions (awesome)

Pixelboy,

The original Zaxxon the Supergame on floppy disk also allowed one to save a game to floppy disk. Which means a flash cartridge would be needed for that game save feature also.

Pixelboy this is the first time that someone has explained to me that the Hall of Fame screens exist in all the Coleco Adam Supergame ports that you did. Thanks for that explanation. So now ColecoVision owners can experience the Hall of Fame screen and how it worked on the Coleco Adam. So the only thing that will be different is that when the cartridge is unplugged the Hall of Fame screen will be reset to the factory default setting with no names and scores. Also since the Hall of Fame screens exist in your cartridge conversions, perhaps the code is still there to print the Hall of Fame screen to the Adam printer. Back in 1983 I only used the printing of the Hall of Fame screen once or twice and found the feature something that I could live without.

Thanks for all your hard work bringing games to the ColecoVision.

Edited by HDTV1080P

No, I just tried this with Dragon's Lair and it did not print.

perhaps the code is still there to print the Hall of Fame screen to the Adam printer. Back in 1983 I only used the printing of the Hall of Fame screen once or twice and found the feature something that I could live without.

Can you clarify this statement a bit? It sounds like you will no longer be publishing any games. What do you consider "outsourced"? I know there is a list on your page of "outsourced" games, but if not these...what will you be publishing???

The next project I want to tackle after I've released my last outsourced game sometime in 2014 (not necessarily Christmas) will be the BasicVision project. And once I've reached a satisfactory level of functionality with the BasicVision editor tools and compiler, I will be able to create my own CV games with it, and then publish them on carts. So there will likely be a rather long period of time between the release of the last outsourced Team Pixelboy game, and the release of my first BasicVision-made personal project.

Really, I've been putting off BasicVision for so long, it's not even funny. :|

• Like 3

The next project I want to tackle after I've released my last outsourced game sometime in 2014 (not necessarily Christmas) will be the BasicVision project. And once I've reached a satisfactory level of functionality with the BasicVision editor tools and compiler, I will be able to create my own CV games with it, and then publish them on carts. So there will likely be a rather long period of time between the release of the last outsourced Team Pixelboy game, and the release of my first BasicVision-made personal project.

Really, I've been putting off BasicVision for so long, it's not even funny. :|

I dont know much when it comes to programming and program languages. Are you trying to make a game maker type program for cv development based on basic? Or a template for making cv games in basic ? Or something completely different altogether?

Pixelboy this is the first time that someone has explained to me that the Hall of Fame screens exist in all the Coleco Adam Supergame ports that you did. Thanks for that explanation.

I'm posting this in very large text just so that you don't miss one word of it...

All the details of these ADAM conversions of Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game have been discussed numerous times in this forum, so spend the time to educate yourself, but more importantly.... TAKE THE TIME TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING!!!

This thread is for pre-order information of Opcode's Super Game Module... let's return to this, stop derailing things and if you have a question.... send a Private Message for now on!

• Like 5

I don't understand what you mean, Jim???

I'm posting this in very large text just so that you don't miss one word of it...

All the details of these ADAM conversions of Dragon's Lair and Zaxxon Super Game have been discussed numerous times in this forum, so spend the time to educate yourself, but more importantly.... TAKE THE TIME TO UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE READING!!!

This thread is for pre-order information of Opcode's Super Game Module... let's return to this, stop derailing things and if you have a question.... send a Private Message for now on!

• Like 2

I am not complaining...I'm poking fun at an old friend...but back on topic...and maybe already mentioned...was the 2nd run of SGMs to be 100 or 200? And how many have now been pre-ordered. If, for some reason, there are a lot left over, I would consider getting a 2nd unit. Although I doubt leftovers will be a problem.

Oh well.... Here it goes again......

ColecoVision Scene...... The Drama Scene.

Come on guys, let's get back to the main topic of this thread

Or start a thread about your complains!

I dont know much when it comes to programming and program languages. Are you trying to make a game maker type program for cv development based on basic? Or a template for making cv games in basic ? Or something completely different altogether?

The name "BasicVision" may be slightly misleading, because the language itself won't actually be a derivative of BASIC at all. It will be a language custom-taylored for the ColecoVision, with a syntax loosely inspired from an old proprietary programming language called DML which I used at my company (we've since moved to Java, by the way).

On a larger scale, BasicVision will be an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) with graphic and sound editing tools, which will compliment the main text editor used for writing code using the BasicVision language.

Once your code, graphic data and sound data is all ready, you select "Compile Project" from the IDE's menu, and you'll get a ROM you can try with an emulator. Well, actually, you'll get the equivalent of your BasicVision program in Z80 assembly language, and this Z80 code will be compiled into a ROM file.

So that's my plan in a nutshell, where BasicVision is concerned. You can read more about it by visiting the BasicVision section of teampixelboy.com. :)

• Like 2

For those who placed their orders in the last few days, I will be notifying you tonight. In fact that is the only thing I will be doing tonight, as I want to take a break today, after spending the weekend getting SGMs ready to ship.

Guys, I am getting a little behind schedule this week on both shipping modules and confirming orders. Just too much work at my job, lots of pressure as I try to change my status from contractor to employee. I will try to make up for that during the weekend. Please hang in there...

• 2 weeks later...

I want to pre-order the SGM. Do I add it to my cart at your site? If so, how do I do that? If I pre-order today, will I get it from the batch you aim to have ready by August?

All the info you need is found in the very first post of this forum thread. :)