IGNORED

Super Game Module second run

opcode

You would have one if you didn't sell yours on ebay for 800 dollars . :ponder:

Ed, for the sake of the community, please consider giving priority to individuals who haven't already received an SGM. Many of us have purchased SGM games we can't play yet. Also, hearing about someone who scored 800 off an SGM sale doesn't make me feel very sympathetic to the fact that they spent "a ton" of money on SGM games they can't play now.

• Like 2

Wow. From phoney sounding Mr. Nice Guy in post #337 to raving mad in post #340 over a simple statement of fact.

Anyway, I am wondering if this is Ed making things right prior to bowing out of the ColecoVision scene or if he still has plans for game releases....especially DKA?

He's flipping out all over the forum! Glad to hear Eduardo is alive and well.

Regular (every week or two) updates would be appreciated I'm sure:

How many outstanding (paid) orders to be shipped? How many shipped since last update?

Status of PCB and its assembly?

Status of shell?

Status of sticker, manual, box, etc.?

hum... you want lot of status. ...

I hope you won't have : "Status Quo" as anwser! :-D

• Like 2

I am back.

I am not even gonna try to apologize for being away again, as I don't think my personal issues are of public interest.

So plan is pretty simple: if I don't deliver the 2nd run by the end of July 2015, I will reimburse everyone who has already paid.

Pre-orders are also closed, any payments will be promptly returned. Let me try to fix this mess.

Please check your inbox. I've sent several messages regarding this latest delay.

I am back.

I am not even gonna try to apologize for being away again, as I don't think my personal issues are of public interest.

So plan is pretty simple: if I don't deliver the 2nd run by the end of July 2015, I will reimburse everyone who has already paid.

Pre-orders are also closed, any payments will be promptly returned. Let me try to fix this mess.

Hi Eduardo,

Great your back!

I recently told on the forum that you would come back as always, and you did of course :thumbsup:

Looking forward to receive my 3 x SGM (already paid) in July this year,

Take care and hope you succeed to deliver all your customers there long awaited SGM :)

Regards

Edited by colecovisionfanforever

I know what it's like to have 100's of people waiting for stuff they paid for. Not with any video game stuff but I've tackled a few machining jobs that left me in over my head. Everything starts out great, the payments are rolling in, everything is looking just on schedule...maybe even ahead of schedule. It doesn't even feel like work! It's fun!

Then something goes majorly wrong and everything freezes. The motivation is gone, the money is spent so you can't refund. You don't want to dodge the phonecalls but there is nothing to tell them so you do. You get a second wind and try to pick up were you left off then reality hits that you are just in over your head.

There is nobody to sympathize with because you took the work on by yourself, nobody to pump you up and motivate you because nobody knows what you are going through, even your wife doesn't "get" what the big deal is...depending on how bad it is depression hits and you start to feel trapped. It consumes your thoughts but you have just hit a wall and can not continue. There are just too many things going on that take priority over it. The worst part is feeling you failed and let everybody down.

Not sure if this is the same for you but I have been there man, and it sucks. The part that really is a shame (for me personally) my intentions were good and ultimately just wanted to be a part of something great, something that would make everyone happy, but it ended being the exact opposite, and I lost a few friends because of it.

If this is at all what you are going through buddy I understand man, trust me, I've been there....all you can do is be honest with yourself and what you are actually capable of doing. If it makes people upset but is ultimately what needs to be done for your well being then take the steps to do it, but never do nothing, it only makes things worse and delays the inevidable ;)

• Like 11

I know what it's like to have 100's of people waiting for stuff they paid for. Not with any video game stuff but I've tackled a few machining jobs that left me in over my head. Everything starts out great, the payments are rolling in, everything is looking just on schedule...maybe even ahead of schedule. It doesn't even feel like work! It's fun!

Then something goes majorly wrong and everything freezes. The motivation is gone, the money is spent so you can't refund. You don't want to dodge the phonecalls but there is nothing to tell them so you do. You get a second wind and try to pick up were you left off then reality hits that you are just in over your head.

This is why you should never require full payment upfront. If you can't deliver the goods, it was not your money to spend. Require only a minimum deposit as a reservation for customers and keep the deposits in an escrow account until the finished product is ready to ship and then send an invoice to customers for the remaining balance and notify them that it is ready to ship. Taking someone's money, spending it, and getting overwhelmed by the workload and/or life issues is not an excuse. It's just really bad business. Period.

• Like 2

This is why you should never require full payment upfront. If you can't deliver the goods, it was not your money to spend. Require only a minimum deposit as a reservation for customers and keep the deposits in an escrow account until the finished product is ready to ship and then send an invoice to customers for the remaining balance and notify them that it is ready to ship. Taking someone's money, spending it, and getting overwhelmed by the workload and/or life issues is not an excuse. It's just really bad business. Period.

hehe, I think you missed what I was getting at but the money is generally spent on the project, meaning the project will not be completed without spending it. I can only imagine the ungodly amount of money a fabrication company charged him to make a few hundred of these. I own one and it is very professional. I doubt he was living it up with fast cars and women, lol. Something probably went wrong, the money is all tied up, and the only way out is a very very hard road that he was obviously not equipped to deal with...it's pretty common for stuff like this.

Yes, I agree. It is bad business but I think one of the main problems with Opcode is everyone sees him as a business. Opcode is just one dude man, making games for a dated system that 99.999% of the world forgot about. No matter how professional and awesome the the things he sells are to everyone, it is ridiculous to see him as a business. He is a hobbyist, plain and simple, this project was beyond his realistic capabilities, which often happens to hobbyists that let there passion for a hobby skew there view of what they are realistically capable of doing.

I am not speaking for him or defending him as only he knows the current situation. I just saw some familiar symptoms of situations I have been in and tried to offer a bit of condolence from someone who has been there and stress that the disappearing act only makes it much much worse ;)

Judging from your above post though I would assume you did NOT prepay for a SGM? If you did then your post should read more like this...

"This is why I would never SEND FULL PAYMENT upfront"

If you believe you should never be REQUIRED to pay full payment upfront, then you are also aware you should never SEND full payment upfront ;)

Not personally agreeing with this, just saying your post seems like you believe sending full payment upfront is wrong so surely you must not have done it?

I get that Opcode is one dude, not a real incorporated business, but it's still a business transaction tendering payment for goods or services nonetheless. My point though is that the money was spent, whether or not it was on actual manufacturing expenses, and people have been waiting 1-2 years to receive the item(s) they paid for. The statute of limitations to file a claim with PayPal or your bank/credit card company is 6 months. After that, you're pretty much screwed, and the only hope you have of getting your money back is if the seller is honest and does the right thing and refunds everyone's payments as Eduardo has promised he would by July if he finally can't deliver the goods by then. But he's keeping everyone on the hook (again) until then. I've been ripped off like this before (along with MANY others), on other forums, and all I am saying is that I am seeing the warning flags and history repeat itself here. The fact that Eduardo is offering no apologies, pops in and out of here after months of silence without giving any real progress updates, really makes me question his moral aptitude and business ethics. When I became a member of this forum and heard about the SGM I was really excited and wanted to get one to play those games on my Colecovision, but not after this. Besides, there are alternatives now to Opcode's SGM with some of the Adam memory consoles supporting SGM games and a new PCB drop-in in the works that will support SGM games means that Opcode's SGM hardware is pretty much no longer required. The rest of you can all keep the faith and I really do hope all of you who have paid either get the SGM(s) delivered by July or get your money refunded in full. We'll know for sure if he's as good as his "word" by then or it will just be one more excuse to keep dragging everyone through the mud with more excuses and empty promises or he will disappear for good and that's the last you will ever hear from him.

Well, there were 20 "leftovers" from the first run that were supposed to ship right after the clear one sold on eBay, and those haven't happened yet. THAT should be quite simple, no matter what the circumstances, if they are indeed sitting around.

Anyway, I just keep hoping for the best, as I'm stuck.

• Like 1

This is probably exactly what also happened with the XM for the 7800

There is nobody to sympathize with because you took the work on by yourself, nobody to pump you up and motivate you because nobody knows what you are going through, even your wife doesn't "get" what the big deal is...depending on how bad it is depression hits and you start to feel trapped. It consumes your thoughts but you have just hit a wall and can not continue. There are just too many things going on that take priority over it. The worst part is feeling you failed and let everybody down.

Not sure if this is the same for you but I have been there man, and it sucks. The part that really is a shame (for me personally) my intentions were good and ultimately just wanted to be a part of something great, something that would make everyone happy, but it ended being the exact opposite, and I lost a few friends because of it.

If this is at all what you are going through buddy I understand man, trust me, I've been there....all you can do is be honest with yourself and what you are actually capable of doing. If it makes people upset but is ultimately what needs to be done for your well being then take the steps to do it, but never do nothing, it only makes things worse and delays the inevidable ;)

Edited by san-d-2000