IGNORED

Super Game Module second run

opcode

Hey, guys! I've been away for a while for personal reasons, but now everything is settled and i'm back with some awesome news about the Super Game Module! :grin:

First of all, we just got word from the factory that the Super Game Module boards have shipped, which means we'll be able to start shipping the 2nd run of SGMs to pre-orders soon.

The second good news is that we have a 3rd and final run of the SGM planned for Q2 2016. This run will be offered with no box and at a lower price, and in case you might be interested, please contact us: info@opcodegames.com
We have also been working on the Super Game Module 2.0 project, a new version with a superior hardware that will allow you to play a brand new wave of games. :lust: We are estimating the release of the SGM 2.0 before the end of this year, but no firm date yet and no waiting list. That's all we can say for now. Please stay tuned for more information soon.

Hope you enjoy the news!

• Like 5

why selling a 3 run of sgm if a new one will be aviable with new feature and the owner of the first gen of sgm will have to buy another unit to play the new games from opcode....

hope you will sell upgrade for the owner of the first sgm since you will probably use the same case...

Edited by chart45

why selling a 3 run of sgm if a new one will be aviable with new feature and the owner of the first gen of sgm will have to buy another unit to play the new games from opcode....

hope you will sell upgrade for the owner of the first sgm since you will probably use the same case...

Yeah, this should be a drop in replacement board for those of us that already have an SGM.

Hey, guys! I've been away for a while for personal reasons, but now everything is settled and i'm back with some awesome news about the Super Game Module! :grin:

First of all, we just got word from the factory that the Super Game Module boards have shipped, which means we'll be able to start shipping the 2nd run of SGMs to pre-orders soon.

The second good news is that we have a 3rd and final run of the SGM planned for Q2 2016. This run will be offered with no box and at a lower price, and in case you might be interested, please contact us: info@opcodegames.com

We have also been working on the Super Game Module 2.0 project, a new version with a superior hardware that will allow you to play a brand new wave of games. :lust: We are estimating the release of the SGM 2.0 before the end of this year, but no firm date yet and no waiting list. That's all we can say for now. Please stay tuned for more information soon.

Hope you enjoy the news!

I would say wait to talk about SGM 2.0 until everyone has plenty of time enjoying there SGM 1.0. After waiting years for 1.0 its not fun to hear that it may be obsolete before we even get it. :P Just some advise in PR, either that or give everyone waiting a free upgrade to 2.0.......just a idea

Edited by RelliK111
  • Like 2

Hope you enjoy the news!

Please put a V9938 in it :)

• Like 2

I can’t go into any technical details at this point, because I don’t want risking having the module cloned again. I see a lot of people are concerned about fragmentation, and believe me, I was concerned about that too. But truth is, a certain bootlegger has already done that. We on other hand are evolving our platform, and taking care it doesn’t deviate in someone else’s hands.

Two things I can already say though is, the SGM 2 will be fully compatible with the SGM 1, and we see the SGM 2 more like an enhancement of the SGM 1, with games that will take advantage of it but will NOT require it. It will release along a game that supports it, but that will run just fine on a SGM 1 as well.

We plan to start talking to publishers soon about the specs, so they can also take advantage of the new features.

The two main reasons for offering a third run of the SGM 1 now is that a lot of people have been waiting to play the SGM games for years, and we don’t want to delay that any further. Besides, as I mentioned, the SGM 2 will be kind of an enhancement, which some people may not care about at the end.

Other than that, I will only say that if you are an arcade lover, chances are you will pleasantly surprised by the SGM 2. We aren’t coming up with a gimmick that is only useful for a handful of games. Our solution is a lot more flexible and interesting and I can’t wait to show you guys.

• Like 5

I cant go into any technical details at this point, because I dont want risking having the module cloned again. I see a lot of people are concerned about fragmentation, and believe me, I was concerned about that too. But truth is, a certain bootlegger has already done that. We on other hand are evolving our platform, and taking care it doesnt deviate in someone elses hands.

Two things I can already say though is, the SGM 2 will be fully compatible with the SGM 1, and we see the SGM 2 more like an enhancement of the SGM 1, with games that will take advantage of it but will NOT require it. It will release along a game that supports it, but that will run just fine on a SGM 1 as well.

We plan to start talking to publishers soon about the specs, so they can also take advantage of the new features.

The two main reasons for offering a third run of the SGM 1 now is that a lot of people have been waiting to play the SGM games for years, and we dont want to delay that any further. Besides, as I mentioned, the SGM 2 will be kind of an enhancement, which some people may not care about at the end.

Other than that, I will only say that if you are an arcade lover, chances are you will pleasantly surprised by the SGM 2. We arent coming up with a gimmick that is only useful for a handful of games. Our solution is a lot more flexible and interesting and I cant wait to show you guys.

my only concern is will an upgrade option will be aviable. since most of sgm buyer bought 2 so an upgrade kit like pcb and lable could be a very nice option for us and less work for you

Edited by chart45

Sounds really nice and with good peace of mind that it'll play original SGM games now.

I'd imagine that maybe those enhancements you're speaking about might be maye something like enhanced audio and smoother scrolling within future games. Well whatever they may be its all exciting to hear. Day one for me. Thanks for breaking things down.

I can’t go into any technical details at this point, because I don’t want risking having the module cloned again. I see a lot of people are concerned about fragmentation, and believe me, I was concerned about that too. But truth is, a certain bootlegger has already done that. We on other hand are evolving our platform, and taking care it doesn’t deviate in someone else’s hands.

The two main reasons for offering a third run of the SGM 1 now is that a lot of people have been waiting to play the SGM games for years, and we don’t want to delay that any further. Besides, as I mentioned, the SGM 2 will be kind of an enhancement, which some people may not care about at the end.

Other than that, I will only say that if you are an arcade lover, chances are you will pleasantly surprised by the SGM 2. We aren’t coming up with a gimmick that is only useful for a handful of games. Our solution is a lot more flexible and interesting and I can’t wait to show you guys.

• Like 1

That is good news that a Supergame 2 module is being developed. The games for the Supergame 2 will most likely be clearly marked with the words “Supergame 2” so that people do not try and play them on the Supergame 1 module. Maybe even an onscreen message will pop up on the screen when one does not have the Supergame 2 module connected. Saying something like “This game requires the use of the Supergame 2 module” when the cartridge is inserted.

Some or most people have not even received their Supergame 1 module yet and a Supergame 2 module is being planned. This Supergame 2 module might reduce the demand for the 3rd run of Supergame 1 modules. I guess that is why the Supergame 1 module is being discontinued and is scheduled for only one more run.

It would be ideal if the new standalone ColecoVision had a built in Supergame 2 module.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Note to Juice whatever: you didn't want to talk a couple of months ago, so I don't see why we should talk now. Don't even waste your time posting here because I can guarantee your post will be removed faster than you can say bootlegger.

Back on topic:

my only concern is will an upgrade option will be aviable. since most of sgm buyer bought 2 so an upgrade kit like pcb and lable could be a very nice option for us and less work for you

An upgrade like that isn't a practical option because the cost of the case is peanuts compared to the board. However we are evaluating other options, like offering with no packaging, or even some more dramatic options we are still talking about.

But anyway, the reason we decided to announce now is because we didn't want to make people mad on us for buying the 3rd run now just to find out later a new version was coming. And on the other hand we didn't want to make people wait for months again for a module. We are just trying to offer options and being honest.

• Like 7

At HDTV1080: Actually as I mentioned we don't have plans for SGM2 exclusive games, thought other publishers are free to do so. We see the SGM 2 as a kind of luxurious car. It will take you wherever a compact car can take you, just with some extra conveniences that will make the trip more enjoyable. :)

As for the games, yes, we will indicate that the sgm 2 is supported in the box.

And with that I am back to work. I will leave that for Grazi to answer (or dodge) any further questions. ;)

• Like 4

But anyway, the reason we decided to announce now is because we didn't want to make people mad on us for buying the 3rd run now just to find out later a new version was coming. And on the other hand we didn't want to make people wait for months again for a module. We are just trying to offer options and being honest.

I think this is very fair and I for one appreciate that.

• Like 2

So I guess you are saying Supergame 2 games that are released from Opcode will be backwards compatible with Supergame 1 modules, but the advantage of playing the games with a Supergame 2 module is improved quality in graphics or sound.

Exactly. :)