IGNORED

Commodore 1802 sound on both speakers?

donjn

I have a brown model 1802 monitor and I would love to get sound in both speakers. There are two audio inputs. One is for the chroma/luma setup the other is for standard video with audio. Would something simple like a RCA splitter provide sound in both speakers if it was plugged into both audio ports?

http://1.bp.blogspot...ca+splitter.jpg

http://gona.mactar.h...wn_Version).pdf

Edited by donjn

Apollo is correct the 1802 only supports mono. You just plug in the audio to whichever one coincides with the video setup your using but you cant use both because they go to the same speaker. Congrats on the monitor though I really want an 1802 I think they're slick looking!

Edited by Dripfree

Thanks. Actually I need to explore the other option.

The Commodore 9 pin cable has a white "audio out" male. With an adapter I have tried to plug this into a 3.5mm (computer speakers) system and sound only comes out of one side. I know it is mono, but I am a bit OCD and would like this mono sound to come out of both speakers. Is there anyway to force a mono out phono (RCA) to split and provide sound to both left and right speakers?

With an adapter I have tried to plug this into a 3.5mm (computer speakers) system and sound only comes out of one side. I know it is mono, but I am a bit OCD and would like this mono sound to come out of both speakers. Is there anyway to force a mono out phono (RCA) to split and provide sound to both left and right speakers?

Yep, that can work.

You just need to find an adapter that joins left/right (or make one).

Then you're just sending the same signal to each of the external speakers.

desiv

Yea Im the same way. I made my own cables for my 800xl and my 99/4a. When I did it I simply soldered a right and left channel to the audio pin and the ground pin. Its not true stereo because there is no channel separation but you get audio from both speakers. Ironically I plug them into my commodore 1702 monitor with only 1 speaker so I leave the red cable unplugged. Kinda silly but if I was going to take the time to make a cable I wanted the cable to have 2 audio outputs.

Edited by Dripfree

No actually it didn't work because the connector you used went from a mono rca to a mono 3.5mm jack. A stereo 3.5 jack would have 2 black rings on the tip and 3 gold rings. The 3 gold rings are where the connection is made. One is ground then the other 2 are the left and right audio. That connector is actually used for a video connection. If you wanted something closer to your first adapter I believe something like this would also work.

71751.jpg

But I think this is the best way to go about it.

pRS1C-2266440w345.jpg

However the top image would probably be easier to connect to your pc speakers I assume. Also that monster cable would work too but that's a very expensive way to do it maybe find the same cable but not monster.

Edited by Dripfree

Thanks for your help. I went out at lunch and purchased this guy from Radio Shack:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103793

Both Radio Shack employees I talked told me that it is was not possible to get one mono RCA signal to play in both speakers.

Out here in California we have a saying...Radio Shack is just a detour whilst on the way to Fry's Electronics....

Amazing...